If Allen is real deal, bills make playoffs

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Actually, if a QB doesn't make significant improvement in his second year as a starter, he's unlikely to become a successful QB.  That first year as a starter is a huge learning curve for young QBs, but the second year is when they should demonstrate that they're likely to develop into a good QB or just another mediocre one.    Even with showing promise as a second year starter, though, a youngster needs to continue to develop and hone his skills.   That's what separates QBs like Rivers, Rodgers and Wilson from Sanchez and Tannehill.

Tannehill showed progress.....  He just plateaued.   I really don't think Tannehill is all that bad.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Nice pieces added in free agency. Could still use another piece on offense whether that’s OL, TE, RB

but if Allen is going to be a franchise QBs, this team makes playoffs.  Good QBs can carry a team to playoffs almost every year 

If they dont make it and the team isn’t decimated by injuries, I will hit the panic button on qb 

On paper everything looks good.  We have an offensive line that has been completely rebuilt.  I like the signings but its all on paper right now.  

If Allen improves and the line gels then yes I see playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Actually, if a QB doesn't make significant improvement in his second year as a starter, he's unlikely to become a successful QB.  That first year as a starter is a huge learning curve for young QBs, but the second year is when they should demonstrate that they're likely to develop into a good QB or just another mediocre one.    Even with showing promise as a second year starter, though, a youngster needs to continue to develop and hone his skills.   That's what separates QBs like Rivers, Rodgers and Wilson from Sanchez and Tannehill.

It took Drew Brees til his fourth season and Alex Smith til his 6th.  With that being said, I like the drive Allen has and do believe he will make huge strides.  Now how quickly everything else gels is also a factor.

Nothing worse than a 10-6 season or better and a playoff VICTORY will do. When you look at our schedule right now that doesn't seem out of reach. Allen should have a combined 35 TD's this year.

Edited by Tatonka68
  • Like (+1) 1

There are lots of moving pieces, so it's hard to make a statement like "playoffs or bust."

What if Josh Allen throws for 4000 yards and 40 touchdowns, and somehow the defense falls apart and we miss the postseason?

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

We need to make the playoffs this year and Allen needs to be a big part of that. 

This is what I'm hoping for

16 games

59.4 completion percentage

28 passing TD's

3520 passing yards

831 rushing yards

10 rushing TD's

Allen had a 52% completion percentage last year, but 5% of his passes were drops. SoI will say 60% sounds better.

I hope Allen progresses, we have upgraded the line and more importantly we have a solid center. I believe that is such a huge variable, now people saying Allen finished strong are right to an extent. The last game he looked like a rockstar but it was against a Miami team that had all but given up and were not playing all first string, he should have tore that team up. We need Allens QBR to raise, 2 of the last three games he didnt even break 20 so saying he finished strong is a false statement.

• Like (+1) 1

Making the playoffs next year is a realistic goal.  Ditto for expecting to see a significant jump in the quality of Allen's QB performance.  That Allen showed such a clear improvement post versus pre-injury gives us every reason to be optimistic about his continued growth. 

I think the Bill's FO has had an amazingly productive off season and has dramatically improved this team in the offensive areas it desperately needed improvement.  They are now free to draft the best players available rather then trying to meet an immediate need. 

Throw in the fact that neither Miami or the Jets look greatly improved and NE is bound to slide as it continues to age and the Bills are perfectly placed to make a run at a divisional title. 

9 hours ago, Rubes said:

Even a modest improvement in offensive line play will give Allen the opportunity to show his stuff. If he gets decent protection, I am eager to see what he does with it.

I agree with your assessment. He's got two speedsters on the out side to keep the safeties honest and out of the box. He's got a solid slot receiver and hopefully a tight end to go along with that either in Kroft or a draft pick. The improvements on the offensive line will also help Shady get back to form and help Allens'

own rushing as well though I hope he does less of it this year. Looking forward to significantly marked improvement from Allen.

Edited by billsbackto81

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Throw in the fact that neither Miami or the Jets look greatly improved and NE is bound to slide as it continues to age and the Bills are perfectly placed to make a run at a divisional title. 

I disagree a bit on the Jets. I think Anderson, Onunwa and Crowder is on paper easily the best receiving unit in the AFCE and has lots of speed and big play ability. Add Lev Bell, Kelechi Osemele and growth from Darnold and I think the Jets offense has the potential to be much improved. They still need another offensive lineman but I think they could be pretty dynamic. 

They need pass rush help on defense and I think they need a corner too but I expect the Jets to be pretty good in 2019. I think they will compete with the Bills for a playoff spot.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

Allen had a 52% completion percentage last year, but 5% of his passes were drops. SoI will say 60% sounds better.

5%?  No way.  More like 25% maybe even more.

Hell 60% of passes to KB were dropped (I'll factored in throw away's and uncatchable balls  - 37.1% caught) 

There have been "adjusted" Comp % numbers tossed around and IIRC Josh's adjusted CP is in the 70's.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

Nice pieces added in free agency. Could still use another piece on offense whether that’s OL, TE, RB

but if Allen is going to be a franchise QBs, this team makes playoffs.  Good QBs can carry a team to playoffs almost every year 

If they dont make it and the team isn’t decimated by injuries, I will hit the panic button on qb 

I wouldn't panic at that point while he should make a huge leap and playoffs shouldnt be impossible we have a huge amount of roster turnover right now and it's going to take at least the first 3 or 5 games for the team to gel alltogether well enough to compete with the big boys and even play to the rosters potential is going to take a good year or so.....

38 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

5%?  No way.  More like 25% maybe even more.

Hell 60% of passes to KB were dropped (I'll factored in throw away's and uncatchable balls  - 37.1% caught) 

There have been "adjusted" Comp % numbers tossed around and IIRC Josh's adjusted CP is in the 70's.  

If I recall correctly, even his adjusted completion percentage was still towards the bottom of the league.

i also think it’s a gross over exaggeration to say at least 25% of his passes were dropped.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 2

With continued focus in the off season with his mechanics, more familiarity with Dabolls offense, renewed focus on looking for the underneath route/better decision making, better receivers better pass protection and going into his 2nd year as the starter I think you will see his completion percentage jump to around the 60% area.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

If I recall correctly, even his adjusted completion percentage was still towards the bottom of the league.

i also think it’s a gross over exaggeration to say at least 25% of his passes were dropped.

Oh, I agree.   70 looks better than 50 ;)   

That still doesn't factor in that the WR's didn't do him any favors (which would have given him better stats). 

Targets  to  Zay and KB 

102 + 62 = 164

Catches

56 + 23 = 79

Caught .481.