Woodstock 50 at WGI RIP

It's funny how many of these festival concerts are being canceled at the last minute this year.

Woodstock 50

There was one at Gillette Stadium canceled

There was one near where the Signed just played outside Barrie in Ontario

2 here in Welland (not as big but weekend festivals with some name acts) one a hair metal and another a country music one.

They all seem to be huge fantasy dreams by the promoter that end up failing cause they don't have the financial backing to put them on as planned.

The one at Gillette was supposed to have a huge bounce castle and go kart track. The one outside Barrie was scheduled to have Aerosmith, Kid Rock, Nickelback, Blondie and others, all were supposed to have been paid upfront instead of the typical deposit, and they were selling VIP passes with access to air conditioned tents that would have expensive custom built skull chairs and seating, with custom landscaping that included shrubs trimmed to look like Les Pauls. The one in Welland was canceled cause bands were backing out when the promotor wasn't meeting their agreement (most likely not getting their money).

Most of these are small/first time promotors who think it's easy to put on something like this and that it will just pay for itself. They blow all their money on stupid things and then it all falls apart when tickets don't sell as fast as expected and bands start asking for their money.....

Same story, different day, Woodstock denied a permit, again, by the town of Vernon...

https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-news/woodstock-50-has-its-permit-application-denied-again/

This article includes the letter to Woodstock promoters saying why it was denied. At this point, it sounds like they are only looking at Vernon Downs and no where else. 

Quite frankly, looking at their layout in the video, having worked at Vernon Downs years ago, there's gonna be no parking on site, they'll have to bus people in. 

On 7/11/2019 at 1:04 PM, Gugny said:

Here's what gets me.  This dude has had 50 YEARS to prepare for this.  He waited 49 years to start.

WGI has all their permits well in advance for races and other events. They were basically renting the track to this clown and he must have thought he could just show up. I have to wonder how many of those acts were really under contract

On 7/11/2019 at 1:22 PM, apuszczalowski said:

It's funny how many of these festival concerts are being canceled at the last minute this year.

Woodstock 50

There was one at Gillette Stadium canceled

There was one near where the Signed just played outside Barrie in Ontario

2 here in Welland (not as big but weekend festivals with some name acts) one a hair metal and another a country music one.

They all seem to be huge fantasy dreams by the promoter that end up failing cause they don't have the financial backing to put them on as planned.

The one at Gillette was supposed to have a huge bounce castle and go kart track. The one outside Barrie was scheduled to have Aerosmith, Kid Rock, Nickelback, Blondie and others, all were supposed to have been paid upfront instead of the typical deposit, and they were selling VIP passes with access to air conditioned tents that would have expensive custom built skull chairs and seating, with custom landscaping that included shrubs trimmed to look like Les Pauls. The one in Welland was canceled cause bands were backing out when the promotor wasn't meeting their agreement (most likely not getting their money).

Most of these are small/first time promotors who think it's easy to put on something like this and that it will just pay for itself. They blow all their money on stupid things and then it all falls apart when tickets don't sell as fast as expected and bands start asking for their money.....

....good assessment....whole thing isn't passing "the smell test".......there was some pretty MAJOR entertainment alleged to be appearing......should be required to have that tab 100% in escrow up front.....or did they plan on paying from gate receipts?......SHAM 101......I don't think Marquis Goodwin got his $1 mil yet from running the 40.........yet another scam after the poor guy and his wife lost twins during pregnancy......

Three strikes, WS50 is still out at Vernon Downs

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2019/07/woodstock-50-shot-down-no-festival-at-vernon-downs-town-says.html

There will be no Woodstock 50 concert at Vernon Downs this year, and probably none at all.

The Vernon town planning board voted unanimously to uphold the denial of Woodstock’s application to hold a three-day concert in mid-August. Promoters said they don’t plan to challenge the decision in court.

Lang left open the possibility that there could still be a Woodstock 50 somewhere. “There’s a crack,” he said. “We’ll know more tomorrow.”

And now Virgin is out...

https://www.pollstar.com/article/virgin-produced-pulls-out-of-woodstock-50-after-site-permit-denied-simply-no-time-left-138425

"Virgin Produced, who has been advising with the Woodstock 50 team, has officially concluded its consulting role with respect to the company and the proposed festival," the statement provided to Pollstar reads. "Given that the attempt to secure permits with the Town of Vernon, NY and related state agencies has been finally denied, Virgin Produced has concluded its advisory mandate and terminated its services agreement. Virgin Produced, and its CEO Jason Felts, wish Woodstock all the best in its future endeavors."

Last year, they kept talking about how there are going to be two competing Woodstock 50s this year.  The one at the original site, now Bethel Woods, being the other one.

Why have I heard nothing about that one?!? 

7 hours ago, bbb said:

Last year, they kept talking about how there are going to be two competing Woodstock 50s this year.  The one at the original site, now Bethel Woods, being the other one.

Why have I heard nothing about that one?!? 

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

Because that one was well planned with no issues? 

The one in Bethel is more of a celebration than an event, from what I understand.  There is a Santana concert there over the weekend and they're loosely associating his show with the celebration.  But, other than the regular museum/tours, I don't think there is anything else that requires admission.

17 hours ago, Just Jack said:

FYI, not gonna bother posting a link cause it really has nothing new and shocking to add, but WS50 has filed a third application with Vernon to host the concert at Vernon Downs, on Wednesday. 

I saw that on the news yesterday, next Tuesday is supposed to be the next vote I think. That should be enough time to get the bribes in

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

The one in Bethel is more of a celebration than an event, from what I understand.  There is a Santana concert there over the weekend and they're loosely associating his show with the celebration.  But, other than the regular museum/tours, I don't think there is anything else that requires admission.

Then the press, as usual, played it up more than it was.  Last year, it was all about "Dueling Woodstocks!"  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

Look out Maryland, Michael Lang is coming....

Woodstock 50 Festival Moves to Maryland in Bid to Salvage Event

Oh, but the location they are looking at only holds 32,000

Because Maryland really captures the true Woodstock spirit.  About as much as Jay Z.  This is turning into an Onion.com story.  Just not funny.

Michael Lang is the Al Bundy of music promoters.

Edited by Gugny
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Look out Maryland, Michael Lang is coming....

Woodstock 50 Festival Moves to Maryland in Bid to Salvage Event

Oh, but the location they are looking at only holds 32,000

So they have gone from 150,000 at WGI, then 65,000 at WGI >>>>> off to Vernon not sure what they expecting there to 32,000. Whats the main act now The Jimmy Sturr Polka Band?

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

So they have gone from 150,000 at WGI, then 65,000 at WGI >>>>> off to Vernon not sure what they expecting there to 32,000. Whats the main act now The Jimmy Sturr Polka Band?

Vernon I think they were shooting for 50-60,000, but the largest concert held there was Springsteen several years ago, and they capped that at around 32,000.