Woodstock 50 at WGI RIP

On 3/26/2019 at 7:38 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Only other question I have is whether or not you took the purple acid.

No. Neither purple nor brown.

That would be the worst kind of environment for doing acid - hanging out with a few hundred thousand people...

On 3/25/2019 at 1:50 AM, Poleshifter said:

They have quite a handful of performers who played at the original Woodstock 50 years ago.

I wonder who is in Canned Heat these days.

In summer 1969, I had just flunked out of Brockport State. I got my drivers license, quit my job at Twin Fair, and drove my Corvair to the Woodstock Music & Art Fair.

Good old days, man.

You had a Corvair?  My next door neighbor had one.  You are either older than me, or collect old cars.

Isn’t that the vehicle that inspired Ralph Nader’s anti-GM book, “Death at Any Speed”?

15 hours ago, The Senator said:

You had a Corvair?  My next door neighbor had one.  You are either older than me, or collect old cars.

Isn’t that the vehicle that inspired Ralph Nader’s anti-GM book, “Death at Any Speed”?

My first car was a 1961 Corvair Monza 900.  White on red, automatic.  That was around 1990-1992.  I still have yet to love a car like that one.  Too young/stupid to appreciate it.

On 4/17/2019 at 3:18 PM, The Senator said:

Yes, that was Ralph Nader's favorite death car. It was rear engine, so the front end was light.

Air-cooled engine (no radiator) so it took a L-O-N-G time to warm up on those winter mornings!

On 4/18/2019 at 7:10 AM, Gugny said:

My first car was a 1961 Corvair Monza 900.  White on red, automatic.  That was around 1990-1992.  I still have yet to love a car like that one.  Too young/stupid to appreciate it.

Mine was a maroon 1964 Monza, with Tiger Paw tires, I might add. They were brown-wall tires after parking in a cow pasture for a few rainy days at Woodstock.

Mine was automatic, too. They had that weird little lever under the dash, not a shifter on the column or floor.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Watkins Glen with another not so great look.  After Phish last year and not being able to get DOH to sign off on permits this year I don't think they can be an option going forward for large festivals...

That said, good.  This concert was another money grab like 99 was imo.

Phish las year was unavoidable due to weather, not the band itself. 

10 minutes ago, section122 said:

Watkins Glen with another not so great look.  After Phish last year and not being able to get DOH to sign off on permits this year I don't think they can be an option going forward for large festivals...

27 minutes ago, section122 said:

Like Jack said last year was the weather, you want to blame someone for this year thank NYS. They kept reducing how big the crowd could be last I heard it was 75k.  Anyway heres the local story....   https://www.weny.com/story/40385175/report-woodstock-50-festival-has-been-canceled

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Phish las year was unavoidable due to weather, not the band itself. 

That is what I am talking about. 

If I understand it correctly there was a lack of clean water for Phish and there was no solution if that problem arose again this year which caused the permit denials.  So Watkins Glen had an issue last year that they failed to correct in time for this concert.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2019/04/26/woodstock-50-delay-statement/

Organizers, notably Lang, failed to explain why they pushed back sales for the upcoming event.  A separate report revealed that the event had failed to obtain the required mass-gathering permit from the New York Statement Department of Health (DOH).  Without a formal permit, or even a conditional permit, organizers can’t sell tickets.

In a press release, promoters dismissed the delay.

“Woodstock 50 has delayed its on-sale while we refine logistical plans for what we anticipate will be an amazing Festival in August at Watkins Glen, New York.”

In a third (and possibly final) red flag, promoters reportedly filed for the necessary permit much later “than [organizers] would have preferred.”

7 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Like Jack said last year was the weather, you want to blame someone for this year thank NYS. They kept reducing how big the crowd could be last I heard it was 75k.  Anyway heres the local story....   https://www.weny.com/story/40385175/report-woodstock-50-festival-has-been-canceled

Check out my link.  They were late with permits and had no answer for the issue that arose with Phish due to the weather.  

I'm probably just still mad about the train wreck that 99 was and the clear cash grab this is.  Don't mind me lol.

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, section122 said:

That is what I am talking about. 

If I understand it correctly there was a lack of clean water for Phish and there was no solution if that problem arose again this year which caused the permit denials.  So Watkins Glen had an issue last year that they failed to correct in time for this concert.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2019/04/26/woodstock-50-delay-statement/

Organizers, notably Lang, failed to explain why they pushed back sales for the upcoming event.  A separate report revealed that the event had failed to obtain the required mass-gathering permit from the New York Statement Department of Health (DOH).  Without a formal permit, or even a conditional permit, organizers can’t sell tickets.

In a press release, promoters dismissed the delay.

“Woodstock 50 has delayed its on-sale while we refine logistical plans for what we anticipate will be an amazing Festival in August at Watkins Glen, New York.”

In a third (and possibly final) red flag, promoters reportedly filed for the necessary permit much later “than [organizers] would have preferred.”

Check out my link.  They were late with permits and had no answer for the issue that arose with Phish due to the weather.  

I'm probably just still mad about the train wreck that 99 was and the clear cash grab this is.  Don't mind me lol.

Phish had torrential rain in the few days before the festival, I was working in the area then, and several main roads around Watkins (the town and the track) were closed due to flooding and needing repairs. Your link mentions none of this. The issue with clean water was because water sources were all turned up with mud from the run off. Same thing happens wherever there is torrential rains and flooding, why they will announce not to drink the water or boil it first. 

18 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Phish had torrential rain in the few days before the festival, I was working in the area then, and several main roads around Watkins (the town and the track) were closed due to flooding and needing repairs. Your link mentions none of this. The issue with clean water was because water sources were all turned up with mud from the run off. Same thing happens wherever there is torrential rains and flooding, why they will announce not to drink the water or boil it first. 

We had  around 12 inches of rain that month which was more than Agnes in '72. My sump pump that seldom runs in the summer ran constantly.

...Anyway I believe the water issue plan was approved by the county so I don't know what NYS was holding up the permit for. Que one of those NYS is open for business commercials LOL.

So glad this craptastic event isn't happening.  Who would be dumb enough to pony up $450 to see that garbage they had lined up?  Have you stupid hip hop festival all you want ... just don't call it Woodstock.

• Like (+1) 1

Cancelled? Not so fast says Michael Lang...

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/concerts/2019/04/woodstock-50-not-canceled-organizer-insists-its-going-to-be-a-blast.html

“We are committed to ensuring that the 50th Anniversary of Woodstock is marked with a festival deserving of its iconic name and place in American history and culture," Lang said in a statement via Woodstock Ventures. "Although our financial partner is withdrawing, we will of course be continuing with the planning of the festival and intend to bring on new partners. We would like to acknowledge the State of New York and Schuyler County for all of their hard work and support.

"The bottom line is, there is going to be a Woodstock 50th Anniversary Festival, as there must be, and it’s going to be a blast.”

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I saw that on our morning news, guess I'll edit the topic again smh

He has three months to pull this together.  Is it possible? Maybe if all the artists have been paid up front as reported. After that it’s all permits. And we know NY is not known for speeding through permits unless there’s some cash slipped under the table.