Woodstock 50 at WGI RIP

Pick your poison......     https://www.weny.com/story/40162654/woodstock-50-organizers-release-full-festival-lineup-update

The lineup is as follows:

Day 1 (Friday August 16): The Killers, Miley Cyrus, Santana, The Lumineers, The Raconteurs, Robert Plant, John Fogerty, Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats, Run the Jewels, The Head and the Heart, Maggie Rogers, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Anderson East, Princess Nokia, John Sebastian

Day 2 (Saturday August 17): Dead and Company, Chance the Rapper, Black Keys, Sturgill Simpson, Greta Van Fleet, Portugal. The Man, Leon Bridges, Gary Clark Jr., Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes, Dawes, Margo Price, Country Joe and the Fish, Rival Sons, Emily King, Soccer Mommy, Taylor Bennett

Day 3 (Sunday August 18): Jay-Z, Imagine Dragons, Halsey, Cage The Elephant, Brandi Carlile, Janelle Monae, Young The Giant, Courtney Barnett, Common, Vince Staples, Judah and the Lion, Earl Sweatshirt, Boygenius, the Zombies, Canned Heat, Hot Tuna, ***** Riot, Cherry Glazerr

Edited by Mike in Horseheads
update

They have quite a handful of performers who played at the original Woodstock 50 years ago.

I wonder who is in Canned Heat these days.

In summer 1969, I had just flunked out of Brockport State. I got my drivers license, quit my job at Twin Fair, and drove my Corvair to the Woodstock Music & Art Fair.

Good old days, man.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Poleshifter said:

They have quite a handful of performers who played at the original Woodstock 50 years ago.

In summer 1969, I had just flunked out of Brockport State. I got my drivers license, quit my job at Twin Fair, and drove my Corvair to the Woodstock Music & Art Fair.

Good old days, man.

I saw Henry Vestine play many times for some years in the early and mid 90s Eugene. Very Cool.

The old Twin Fair in SB off Seneca?

Edited by Turk71

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

I saw Henry Vestine play many times for some years in the early and mid 90s Eugene. Very Cool.

The old Twin Fair in SB off Seneca?

Twin Fair on Elmwood Ave in N Buffalo.

Canned Heat played at Gilligan's way back when IIRC.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

Good old days, man.

How close did you get to the actual stage? How was the sound from whereever you were?

On 3/19/2019 at 7:35 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

Pick your poison......     https://www.weny.com/story/40162654/woodstock-50-organizers-release-full-festival-lineup-update

The lineup is as follows:

Day 1 (Friday August 16): The Killers, Miley Cyrus, Santana, The Lumineers, The Raconteurs, Robert Plant, John Fogerty, Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats, Run the Jewels, The Head and the Heart, Maggie Rogers, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Anderson East, Princess Nokia, John Sebastian

Day 2 (Saturday August 17): Dead and Company, Chance the Rapper, Black Keys, Sturgill Simpson, Greta Van Fleet, Portugal. The Man, Leon Bridges, Gary Clark Jr., Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes, Dawes, Margo Price, Country Joe and the Fish, Rival Sons, Emily King, Soccer Mommy, Taylor Bennett

Day 3 (Sunday August 18): Jay-Z, Imagine Dragons, Halsey, Cage The Elephant, Brandi Carlile, Janelle Monae, Young The Giant, Courtney Barnett, Common, Vince Staples, Judah and the Lion, Earl Sweatshirt, Boygenius, the Zombies, Canned Heat, Hot Tuna, ***** Riot, Cherry Glazerr

I've never even heard of most of these groups. Still, Hot Tuna... preferably electric, is worth the price of day 3. Who knows, Grace might pop in unannounced.

Country Joe still looks pretty good for his age, he might be the ringer for day 2.

15 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

Good old days, man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canned_Heat_members

Surprised to see Harvey Mandel's name in the current members... they could put on a pretty good show.

11 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

How close did you get to the actual stage? How was the sound from whereever you were?

Maybe a third of the way towards the front. There were no seats (unless you brought chairs), mostly blankets pressed into the mud after the rain.

Sound was good, the speakers towers were huge.

9 hours ago, T&C said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canned_Heat_members

Surprised to see Harvey Mandel's name in the current members... they could put on a pretty good show.

Fito and The Mole are original (1969 at least) members - on drums and bass, respectively.

19 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

glad you got my little joke earlier there, i guess times do change....

8 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

Maybe a third of the way towards the front. There were no seats (unless you brought chairs), mostly blankets pressed into the mud after the rain.

Sound was good, the speakers towers were huge.

Fito and The Mole are original (1969 at least) members - on drums and bass, respectively.

Only other question I have is whether or not you took the purple acid.

Lang, who co-founded the original Woodstock festival and has organized all its anniversary concerts, spoke exclusively with syracuse.com | The Post-Standard about how the Woodstock 50 lineup was chosen and how his team is working to prevent Watkins Glen from repeating the disasters of Woodstock ’99.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/entertainment/2019/03/exclusive-how-woodstock-50-lineup-was-chosen-and-how-watkins-glen-wont-repeat-99-disaster.html

There are a few of these threads going but I'll plop this here.  I'm not a big festival guy but for you NY people I'd do this one over Woodstock 50 any day.

https://mountainjam.com/

And for my fellow Californians

http://highsierramusic.com/

And this is the only festival I'll go to.  It's a 10 minute Uber from my house and not crazy big.  I'm looking forward to Allman/Betts

https://dohenybluesfestival.com/lineup/

Edited by Chef Jim

14 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Man ***** this guy.  I was at 99 and it was a mess because it was a clear cash grab.  They didn't have enough port a pottys for everyone, water was $4.00 a bottle, all food was overpriced, there were very few atms to get enough cash to eat, etc.  The fans of Insane Clown Posse and RHCP handing out candles had nothing to do with it.  Musically the festival was awesome.  Organizationally it was an absolute mess.  Saturday was the heaviest night yet the trouble was Sunday night.  People were pissed after a long weekend of being treated like garbage.  The "riots" are overblown as there weren't huge fights too.  Absolutely not forgiving sexual assault (those dirtbags have no excuse) however more security could have helped prevent it.  

This lineup is more pop than rock and disappointing to me.  I'm too old to do 3 days of partying anymore but am close enough to drive to Watkins Glen for a day.  I don't see a day worth my money.  If they wanted to have "music for everyone" they should have separated the days.  Something like Friday the bands from the original to kick it off, Saturday the big bands/acts, Sunday the up and comers.  Past/present/future or separate out by type of music.  Miley Cyrus on the same day as John Fogerty and Santana?  How big of a cross section of fans like these acts together?

Bleh.  This bothers me more than it should lol.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Watkins Glen for a unrelated meeting today but concert came up. Supposedly tickets are going on sale on 4/22/19. Tickets are 3 day tickets only as in no single day tickets. Once your in the track at WGI you can't leave and get back in. I guess the county and Village are dam determined not to have a reenactment of Summer Jam.

3 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Once your in the track at WGI you can't leave and get back in. I guess the county and Village are dam determined not to have a reenactment of Summer Jam.

I heard it was if you're camping on site, then you could not leave/re-enter. In Rome, anyone could leave and re-enter. 

2 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I heard it was if you're camping on site, then you could not leave/re-enter. In Rome, anyone could leave and re-enter. 

You might be right. This was people from Watkins yapping. The one thing I heard clear was it was a 3 day ticket, no one day tickets