Bills: NFL's Biggest Under-the-Radar F-A Winner 2019

11 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

Another offseason win baby!  LOL  

That sums it up right there.  If Allen works out they'll be geniuses.  If not, they'll be looking for jobs.  

Crazy but true. BUT, they are doing their best to surround him with talent, and Josh has shown in year #1 that he has not only the physical tools but the MENTAL tools as well. And he obviously is a hard worker and coachable. Barring bad injuries, this team is poised for much better things next year, and Beane will have as much leeway with the 2020 cap! And he has been smart enough to not load the 2021+ years either. There are no guarantees, but damn it bodes well!

45 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

I am of the belief that they plan on drafting a RB somewhere in rounds 3-5 and then figured who better to mentor a young guy for a year? Not to mention Gore would probably be a great mentor for Josh as well. At least I would consider mentoring the primary reason, because it looks like he can still contribute on the field. 

How many RB mentors will this particular rookie RB need?  3 old men on the roster right now.

Last year rookies were running wild without "mentors".

• Like (+1) 1

"The Buffalo Bills are often treated as if they reside above the Wall. Well, the Wall has fallen, the white walkers are coming, and general manager Brandon Beane is the NFL's version of the Night King."

Frekaing LOVE that analogy hahahaha...

Told you Beane was a witch...turns out he's the Night King.  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The reason I like the Bills free agency this year is that they managed to add multiple quality pieces (10 players on offense!) without breaking the bank or handing out ridiculous contracts. They in no way hamstrung themselves for the future. As the article points out, they still have the 7th most cap space in the league. Also, they are on track to be top 5 in cap space available again NEXT offseason. 

They improved the offensive line, WR corps, and got cornerback and running back depth. They did it with affordable, young (except for Gore and Nsekhe) players who fit the culture of the team. And they did it in a way that will allow them to continue to build going forward and will leave money to start extending the young core that Beane and McDermott have built.

In the sense that they can continue to build through the draft and retain their own but ALSO didn't just sit on their hands, and DID manage to improve the team through free agency without abandoning their team building principles, this free agency period appears to be a home run for the Bills. Time will tell the final tale, but I'm encouraged.

..nicely done bud.....:thumbsup:...it was a slow, arduous well thought out plan as you said....McBeane and McDermott are both very methodical and measured in their approach......the Allstate guy said" we're (paraphrased) in good hands....".........

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The reason I like the Bills free agency this year is that they managed to add multiple quality pieces (10 players on offense!) without breaking the bank or handing out ridiculous contracts. They in no way hamstrung themselves for the future. As the article points out, they still have the 7th most cap space in the league. Also, they are on track to be top 5 in cap space available again NEXT offseason. 

They improved the offensive line, WR corps, and got cornerback and running back depth. They did it with affordable, young (except for Gore and Nsekhe) players who fit the culture of the team. And they did it in a way that will allow them to continue to build going forward and will leave money to start extending the young core that Beane and McDermott have built.

In the sense that they can continue to build through the draft and retain their own but ALSO didn't just sit on their hands, and DID manage to improve the team through free agency without abandoning their team building principles, this free agency period appears to be a home run for the Bills. Time will tell the final tale, but I'm encouraged.

We had one of the worst offenses in the NFL - and the only players we were losing really were members of that terrible offensive line, and an overpaid TE with a bum knee.  We had a ton of cap space... so bring in a bunch of people - breed some competition at WR and along the line.  Improve the RB room a bit, add a veteran TE who still has some upside.  

The goal is to not finish 30th again.  I don't think we added pieces to get to like top 5 or anything - but the difference between the offenses ranked10-20 from a yardage perspective is only about 20 yards per game.  We were about 50 yards short of the 20th place offense from a simple yards per game stat.  From a points standpoint the 20th ranked offense outscored us by about 7 per game, and 10th outscored 20th by about 3.  So getting to that 10-20 range is i think where we need to be.  More than 350 yards per game, and more than 22 points per game. 

If we do that - we should be in the playoffs at the end of the year assuming the defense doesn't regress too much.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, dneveu said:

We had one of the worst offenses in the NFL - and the only players we were losing really were members of that terrible offensive line, and an overpaid TE with a bum knee.  We had a ton of cap space... so bring in a bunch of people - breed some competition at WR and along the line.  Improve the RB room a bit, add a veteran TE who still has some upside.  

The goal is to not finish 30th again.  I don't think we added pieces to get to like top 5 or anything - but the difference between the offenses ranked10-20 from a yardage perspective is only about 20 yards per game.  We were about 50 yards short of the 20th place offense from a simple yards per game stat.  From a points standpoint the 20th ranked offense outscored us by about 7 per game, and 10th outscored 20th by about 3.  So getting to that 10-20 range is i think where we need to be.  More than 350 yards per game, and more than 22 points per game. 

If we do that - we should be in the playoffs at the end of the year assuming the defense doesn't regress too much.

Good post. I think the Bills were getting better on offense at the end of last year as it was, even WITH the bad o-line and subpar WR corps. I believe once Allen came back from injury, the were averaging 24 points a year. Add in a year of progression for Josh Allen, an improved offensive line, some more weapons at WR, and don't forget a vastly improved running game due to o-line improvements, and I believe the Bills feel comfortable with the idea that their offense will be quite improved in 2019. Furthermore, I DO still expect them to add some offensive pieces in the draft to further help the improvement on that side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

If nothing else, the Bills improved their depth dramatically with these signings. It's a major asset in a league where you know someone's getting hurt every week. 

Even if there are no blue chip talents in the group, they addressed a core issue just by bringing in 11 players who have all proven they can get the job done in the NFL, and will presumably make the team. A few of them will start, and maybe one or two (can we get three?) turn out to be studs. And yes, one or two will probably suck, too. But this is already so much better than the recent status quo, which was to start a bunch of other teams' cuts, and back them up with rookies and UDFAs. Or vice-versa.

I would love to see them get one more player through FA or trade, maybe splurge a bit on someone more gifted. They could still use a little more high-end talent on either side of the ball. 

Edited by skibum
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, skibum said:

If nothing else, the Bills improved their depth dramatically with these signings. It's a major asset in a league where you know someone's getting hurt every week. 

Even if there are no blue chip talents in the group, they addressed a core issue just by bringing in 11 players who have all proven they can get the job done in the NFL, and will presumably make the team. A few of them will start, and maybe one or two (can we get three?) turn out to be studs. And yes, one or two will probably suck, too. But this is already so much better than the recent status quo, which was to start a bunch of other teams' cuts, and back them up with rookies and UDFAs. Or vice-versa.

I would love to see them get one more player through FA or trade, maybe splurge a bit on someone more gifted. They could still use a little more high-end talent on either side of the ball. 

The way they approached free agency was too address holes and add competition. We still need blue Chip players on both sides of the ball.  I hope they either trade down for some depth, or go best player available.

I still like Oliver at 9 there if we stand Pat. Guy makes plays and would be a problem for everyone playing us. Helps the pass rush, plug and play in Kyle's spot.  Hard to block, and constantly in the backfield.  He's a bit undersized, but that was the knock on Donald.  

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How many RB mentors will this particular rookie RB need?  3 old men on the roster right now.

Ivory is likely cut.

And I never said rookies can't do well without mentors, but a future HOF'er in their ear in the locker room would surely help...wouldn't you agree?

4 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

Ivory is likely cut.

And I never said rookies can't do well without mentors, but a future HOF'er in their ear in the locker room would surely help...wouldn't you agree?

No I don't think it's necessary.  I wouldn't hold a roster spot for such a vet.

Good RBs are ready to go...plug and play.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

"The Buffalo Bills are often treated as if they reside above the Wall. Well, the Wall has fallen, the white walkers are coming, and general manager Brandon Beane is the NFL's version of the Night King."

Now that is good stuff.

I don't know if I should laugh or be in awe.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No I don't think it's necessary.  I wouldn't hold a roster spot for such a vet.

Good RBs are ready to go...plug and play.

Even if you don't value Gore from the locker room perspective he has still been able to produce on the field in recent seasons. 

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's not a particular number of backs WEO, but their combined age should definitely exceed 100.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they did a good job. A couple of guys with potential to be key pieces for the longer term (Morse and Beasley), another couple who are probably instant starters and moderate upgrades for a year or two (Brown and Nsekhe) a lottery ticket with the potential to hit big at corner (Johnson) and then some decent depth. 

Still don't understand signing old man Gore though. 

It would have made more sense if McCoy wasn't in the plans IMO. Gore was legitimately good last year; McCoy was bad and Ivory maybe slightly better.

But adding yet another veteran RB contract to a position group that's already among the most expensive in the league while still being a below-average unit is pretty disappointing.

If the Bills cut McCoy and Ivory and went into the year with Gore and one or two rookies, I'd be much happier with the position group than I am with its current construction.

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Is this saying that Beane is good or bad? I have no idea what this means outside of knowing it's a Game of Thrones reference.

Everyone needs to relax a bit. Yes, the Bills got a bunch of new players that hardly anyone had heard of before two weeks ago, but we’ve yet to see if any of them are any better than the host of old players that we all know we don’t want hear from again. Hope springs eternal in March!

Go Bills

Morse - expensive but good

beasley - love it

brown - not a bad player, hate it for the price

Kroft - meh

Johnson - decent gamble

o line guys - I don’t watch o line enough to form an opinion

solid offseason.  Nothing amazing but hopefully fills some holes.  We badly need some size at receiver, d line, and oline help.  This is a huge draft.