Bills: NFL's Biggest Under-the-Radar F-A Winner 2019

The reason I like the Bills free agency this year is that they managed to add multiple quality pieces (10 players on offense!) without breaking the bank or handing out ridiculous contracts. They in no way hamstrung themselves for the future. As the article points out, they still have the 7th most cap space in the league. Also, they are on track to be top 5 in cap space available again NEXT offseason. 

They improved the offensive line, WR corps, and got cornerback and running back depth. They did it with affordable, young (except for Gore and Nsekhe) players who fit the culture of the team. And they did it in a way that will allow them to continue to build going forward and will leave money to start extending the young core that Beane and McDermott have built.

In the sense that they can continue to build through the draft and retain their own but ALSO didn't just sit on their hands, and DID manage to improve the team through free agency without abandoning their team building principles, this free agency period appears to be a home run for the Bills. Time will tell the final tale, but I'm encouraged.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think they did a good job. A couple of guys with potential to be key pieces for the longer term (Morse and Beasley), another couple who are probably instant starters and moderate upgrades for a year or two (Brown and Nsekhe) a lottery ticket with the potential to hit big at corner (Johnson) and then some decent depth. 

Still don't understand signing old man Gore though. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they did a good job. A couple of guys with potential to be key pieces for the longer term (Morse and Beasley), another couple who are probably instant starters and moderate upgrades for a year or two (Brown and Nsekhe) a lottery ticket with the potential to hit big at corner (Johnson) and then some decent depth. 

I am of the belief that they plan on drafting a RB somewhere in rounds 3-5 and then figured who better to mentor a young guy for a year? Not to mention Gore would probably be a great mentor for Josh as well. At least I would consider mentoring the primary reason, because it looks like he can still contribute on the field. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He averaged 4.6 ypc last year. Hes still a good back

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I've thought about this a lot, too, because it seemed strange at first. After some reflection, I think there are two main reasons:

1.) ON THE FIELD, I think they see him as an upgrade to Chris Ivory. If McCoy misses time again this year as he has in the past few years, I think they'd rather have Gore carrying the load than Ivory. Specifically, aside from his running and catching abilities, he is one of the top pass blocking running backs in the league. An extra layer of protection for Allen.

2.) More importantly, the INTANGIBLES/LEADERSHIP aspect. I think they feel that Gore can help fill a bit of the giant leadership void left by Kyle Williams. Not only that, I think they feel that his presence will push Shady to be as good as he can be, and maybe even encourage him to play longer. McCoy has said himself that the only guy in the NFL that can really push him to be great is Frank Gore. Bringing in your aging number 1 RB's training buddy and close friend in an effort to provide extra motivation and push to said number 1 RB seems like a fine idea. And the leadership by example that he will provide our young team won't hurt either.

• Like (+1) 3

Another offseason win baby!  LOL  

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

A year ago, the organization built its entire offseason plan around the acquisition of a long-term quarterback solution. It believes it has one after selecting Josh Allen with the seventh overall pick in the 2018 draft. This year, the Bills have been aggressive in free agency by signing 11 free agents, and only one of those came on the defensive side of the ball. 

"I think they're turning things around in Buffalo," an agent told Breer. "That regime is doing things the right way."

That sums it up right there.  If Allen works out they'll be geniuses.  If not, they'll be looking for jobs.