430 million dollar man

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:
  • Mike Trout, the best player in baseball, looks like he's never leaving the Los Angeles Angels after all. Mike Trout and the Angels are "finalizing" a 12-year, $430 million contract that breaks all kinds of records, according to ESPN's Jeff Passan

The contract is the largest in professional sports history, surpassing boxer Canelo Alvarez's $365 million deal, and it means Trout will not test free agency after the 2020 season. Trout also takes the record for largest MLB contract away from Bryce Harper less than three weeks after he signed a 13-year, $330 million deal with the Phillies. After landing with his new team, Harper was public in his recruitment of Trout, a southern New Jersey native and die-hard Eagles fan

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mike-trout-finalizing-12-year-430-million-extension-with-angels-report-says/

How can baseball afford these contracts, do people still watch baseball.

Attendance and ratings are very healthy. Both local and national TV contracts are extremely wealthy. Lots and lots of money in MLB for all teams. 

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

They went 80-82 with him on the team last year.  Doesn’t even make sense for him to get compensation near that 

Guy has the highest rating in the history of the game for someone age 26.  Guy is perfect example to follow in the community and a real sports role model.  He is lost a bit in LAs second team, but don't think for a second that he isn't worth what he gets.  TV contract alone with him there pays for his salary, easy.  I'd much rather it go to the players than go to the owners who just sit back and do nothing really.

Edited by Mark80

FYI in 2011 the Angels signed a 20 year tv deal for $3B.  That basically runs until the end of Trouts deal.  Plenty more to go around even counting Pujols horrendous deal and that doesn't count tickets, concessions, parking, merchandise, sponsors, etc.

Edited by Mark80

1 minute ago, Mark80 said:

FYI in 2011 the Angels signed a 20 year tv deal for $3B.  That basically runs until the end of Trouts deal.  Plenty more to go around even counting Pujols horrendous deal and that doesn't count tickets, concessions, parking, merchandise, sponsors, etc.

Surprised more kids dont go into baseball

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

how is it too expensive, get a glove and shoes and good to go.

in San Pedro de Macoris perhaps

it's not an option in the inner city of the US

it demands the least of physical prowess, so the population pool is a lot bigger than football or hoops

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

in San Pedro de Macoris perhaps

it's not an option in the inner city of the US

it demands the least of physical prowess, so the population pool is a lot bigger than football or hoops

Didn't think about most people arent that big and athletic, so more competition for baseball.

You don't think inner city kids can get a glove and shoes?

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Didn't think about most people arent that big and athletic, so more competition for baseball.

You don't think inner city kids can get a glove and shoes?

you can't get a park to play in, pretty high rent in NYC per square foot

stick ball doesn't cut it

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i see, how do other sports do it?

in addition, baseball is not the priority choice of the African-American pool of young athletes, may never be...

4 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

we built it, they didn't come.  so I don't watch or follow baseball. 

I guess I am a little sympathetic towards the Rockies, but even if they won the World Series, I would not celebrate .001% as much as I would if the Bills or Sabres won a championship.

Yeah , that sucked we didn't get the Rockies but it made business sense at the time.

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

in addition, baseball is not the priority choice of the African-American pool of young athletes, may never be...

They seemed too back in the 70s, at least thats how i remember it.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

If they are willing to pay it , better take it.

I hope you're referring to the fans who pay through the nose for attending a game to pay for these overpaid crybabies.  And yes I'm aware that I pay too if I buy any products of the sponsors of the stadium or advertise there etc. 

MLB is a silly league.  Paying Trout and Machado and Bryce Harper over a billion dollars.....so their teams can still suck!!

No one's watching 

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

you can't get a park to play in, pretty high rent in NYC per square foot

stick ball doesn't cut it

Isn't half the league from impoverished countries in Central America and the Caribbean?

Edited by Mr. WEO

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I hope you're referring to the fans who pay through the nose for attending a game to pay for these overpaid crybabies.  And yes I'm aware that I pay too if I buy any products of the sponsors of the stadium or advertise there etc. 

referring to players getting what they can, fans will always be there and if they dont want to support them then thats up to them. 

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Hard to put your W-2 offshore.

Richy rich know the loops.

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

MLB is a silly league.  Paying Trout and Machado and Bryce Harper over a billion dollars.....so their teams can still suck!!

No one's watching 

Isn't half the league from impoverished countries in Central America and the Caribbean?

Si, 

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No one's watching 

Baseball fields are more plentiful there than in US cities