What do we do in the first round? (Options in Poll)

What do we do in the first round?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. There are many first round options. Take an educated guess and please choose

• Take best available pass rusher at #9; front 7 (DE/DT/OLB)
    • Take best available offensive skill position at #9 (WR/TE/RB)
    • Take best available offensive O-Lineman at #9 (OT/OG)
    • Trade down to get another 1st next year like 2017 draft and spin the luck wheel
    • Trade down to get a 2nd or 3rd this year and stay in top 15
    • Trade down to get another 1st this year (e.g. Oakland picks 24 and 27)
    • Trade up for a beast in the top 6 if someone falls
    • Trade #9 for Julio Jones and Atlanta's Round 2, No. 45 overall (ends career as a Bill)
    • Other: comments in thread
    • These options suck!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/21/2019 at 07:00 PM

5 hours ago, wppete said:

I think we stay at #9 and one of the top pass rushers will be available. I hope in this order:

1st Round

1. Ed Oliver

2. Rashan Gary

3. Montez Sweat

2nd Round

DT, Jeffrey Simmons - Miss St.

3rd Round

CB, Rock Ya-Sin - Temple

Pete, you're better than Bucky Brooks!! Except I still want to get Josh that Julio Jones/Andre Johnson type receiver. Love the 2/3 rd choices. The 1st rd should be AAJ (All About Josh)

Edited by the skycap
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Pete, you're better than Bucky Brooks!! Except I still want to get Josh that Julio Jones/Andre Johnson type receiver. Love the 2/3 rd choices. The 1st rd should be AAJ (All About Josh)

It is all about Josh.  Its called getting him the ball back faster and with less pressure to score.

6 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

I went with trade with Oakland.  Of course the caveat would be that no top 5 player slipped to 9.

I do not believe Oakland would do this - they need volumes of players.

There needs to be a BPA overall option in the poll.

I was going to do the "These Options Suck" option since there was no BPA overall option. 

Not sure what's gotten into me today but I was feeling to nice to slam the poll ?

1 hour ago, Mister Defense said:

Why are running backs so devalued now?  They were once one of the most sought after players early in the draft.

The Bills need a great young running back.  If that is the (big) missing link this year, and the Bills do not address this clear weakness in the off season, that would be almost negligent. 

Josh Jacobs. Running back, Alabama.  First round.

Last year one of the weakest areas of this team was the running back position.  So, buck the trend, get a player in the first round that will make the entire offense go.

Trade down a bit, get at least another second round pick, and still nab him.

RB is devalued because offensive success is predicated upon a successful passing attack.  Plus, they're super cheap and easy to find relative to other positions.  I would be very upset with his scenario.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

Take best Available DL at #9 then trade up to bottom of round one or top of round two for Dalton Risner. 

Sounds good but would love to trade ahead of patriots to get the best TE available. Theres 3 really good ones and I could see them targeting one

13 hours ago, HOF4LOU said:

What if the top qb is available at 9? Take him. Why not? Rookie contract. 

If the "top QB" in the draft is still available at #9, that means he isnt good enough for anyone with a high pick and QB need to take him AND not good enough that anyone else wanted to trade up to get him. So... hard pass. Just like in 2013 when we were able to trade down and still pick the first QB off the board at #17. It means there arent any good QBs this draft. Not worth taking when it isnt a need.

11 hours ago, stony said:

RB is devalued because offensive success is predicated upon a successful passing attack.  Plus, they're super cheap and easy to find relative to other positions.  I would be very upset with his scenario.  

This.

It's a passing league and the running game has been completely devalued. Heck, RBs werent valuable or worth it before the modern league either. OJ, for all his record setting years, played in only ONE playoff game his whole career.

Competent, productive RBs are easy to find in later rounds or even as UDFAs.

The Giants blew it big time last year taking a RB #2 overall in the best QB draft we've seen in 15 years.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted this in other mock draft thread...reposting here since this thread is all about the first round pick:

We wont be drafting a DT at 9.  I do think they could target Simmons in the 2nd or possible small trade up from our 2nd to get him.  But they wont take DT at 9 IMO.  

Beane is going to first try and trade down.  If not successful, I believe its going to be Edge, DK, or TJ at the 9th pick and I suspect it may become more clear which way as the draft nears.

Beane invested a good pick in Harrison to literally to succeed Kyle.  And he resigned Jordan for competition.  Beane is going to add another DT through FA and/or draft without question, but I dont feel like he isn't as "panicked" about the DT position as some posters seem to think he will be.  When he makes his board, I believe EDGE and a weapon or OL for Allen will have higher favor with the 9th pick.  

I have a pretty good track record with these feelings too, check my post history about these kinds of things last year even.  Some examples of what I kept saying all during the CFB season and offseason leading up to the draft where everyone kept saying I was crazy. 

• Baker would be one of first 2 QBs taken and was the best QB prospect in the draft when people kept telling me he wouldn't go higher than the 2nd
  • Giants would not take a QB at 2
  • Broncos would not take a QB at 5
  • We do not need to get into the top 5 to get a QB as only 2 would go there
  • Rosen would be the 4th or 5th QB taken

None of that means I am right here!  But I made those opinions last year based on both what I saw from the players, but also what I knew about the GMs in some of those cases above.  I try and pay attention to the GM...not mocks, not rankings, not media, not Kiper, not fan opinion, etc.  

For example, I knew Elway was not going to draft a QB after he signed Keenum even though most said no way.  He won a SB with terrible QB play and great D in 2015.  I kept saying he thinks if he can rebuild the D so he can win with Keenum.  So I was confident he was going to take a defensive player at 5.  Same with Giants, they made it know they were going to commit to Eli and wanted to get him some help.  So again I was confident he was going to go after Barkley if Browns didnt take him #1 overall.  

This year, I feel in tune with Beane.  While people have been freaking out throughout the year, I (and others as well) kept saying what the plan was and what Beane would do.  And he's literally done everything we kept saying he would do, even explore guys like Hunt and Brown.  And based on what I hear from him and seen from him, I think they are more comfortable overall with the D than some people believe.  I also think he is more optimistic about Harrison and Jordan than people believe.  

So he wont feel pressure to go DT unless they truly believe that player will make the biggest impact with the 9th pick.  But I think Beane is going to see an EDGE, a weapon for Josh or more protection for Josh as a player who will have the potential to make a bigger overall impact at the 9th pick.  Oliver and Wilkins are no slam dunks and are getting a bit over exaggerated.  They are not on the same level of prospect grade as Quinnen who will go top 5.  

I will be fine if we do draft a DT at 9, no issues with the move.  This is strictly my opinion on what I think Beane will do at the 9th pick ONLY.  Not saying we wont add DT's, just saying I think it wont be with the 9th pick.  

15 hours ago, the skycap said:

Yeah it's a matchup league and though I like the UFA pickups...... if I am an opponent with a decent defense I am not worried in the least about John Brown and Cole Beasley.

Those guys will make plays against the bad and middling teams but they need help in the form of a game changer somewhere else in the corps to get them open against better teams, IMO.

Robert Foster might be that matchup nightmare but remains to be seen...........he was a massive underachiever in college so it's not reasonable to expect excellence until he actually does it for a full season or two.

Bring in Julio if possible.   

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it's a matchup league and though I like the UFA pickups...... if I am an opponent with a decent defense I am not worried in the least about John Brown and Cole Beasley.

Those guys will make plays against the bad and middling teams but they need help in the form of a game changer somewhere else in the corps to get them open against better teams, IMO.

Robert Foster might be that matchup nightmare but remains to be seen...........he was a massive underachiever in college so it's not reasonable to expect excellence until he actually does it for a full season or two.

Bring in Julio if possible.   

Agree to bring in Julio if possible. But it's also possible to imagine, if the Bills draft Hock or any game changer at TE, that the four wide of Foster, Brown, Beasley and a nightmare TE, along with Shady, could create a lot of problems for a defense.

Edited by Kelly the Dog