What do we do in the first round? (Options in Poll)

What do we do in the first round?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. There are many first round options. Take an educated guess and please choose

• Take best available pass rusher at #9; front 7 (DE/DT/OLB)
    • Take best available offensive skill position at #9 (WR/TE/RB)
    • Take best available offensive O-Lineman at #9 (OT/OG)
    • Trade down to get another 1st next year like 2017 draft and spin the luck wheel
    • Trade down to get a 2nd or 3rd this year and stay in top 15
    • Trade down to get another 1st this year (e.g. Oakland picks 24 and 27)
    • Trade up for a beast in the top 6 if someone falls
    • Trade #9 for Julio Jones and Atlanta's Round 2, No. 45 overall (ends career as a Bill)
    • Other: comments in thread
    • These options suck!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/21/2019 at 07:00 PM

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..agree...Chuckie is Chuckie but no way he agrees to a "two fer"......still betting McBeane looks to trade into the mid/late teens for an extra 2nd......Julio?......why would Falcons pull THAT trigger?......

I agree that it would be shocking if Oakland made that mode with Mayock on board, but it was the only fair trade for points and Oakland needs more firepower. Look at Atlanta's cap: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/cap/

Just now, Logic said:

They're going to draft either a defensive tackle or an edge rusher. It's a lead pipe lock.

If they stay i agree 100%.

Just now, BBillsWestCoast said:

I agree that it would be shocking if Oakland made that mode with Mayock on board, but it was the only fair trade for points and Oakland needs more firepower. Look at Atlanta's cap: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/cap/

If they stay i agree 100%.

I just don't see WHY they would be in the mindset of trading down to get more picks. They already HAVE 10 picks and don't have enough roster spots even for those 10 players, let alone more than that. I think it's more likely that they pick a player at 9, and then use some of their extra picks to trade back into the late 1st or back into the 2nd from the 3rd. 

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I just don't see WHY they would be in the mindset of trading down to get more picks. They already HAVE 10 picks and don't have enough roster spots even for those 10 players, let alone more than that. I think it's more likely that they pick a player at 9, and then use some of their extra picks to trade back into the late 1st or back into the 2nd from the 3rd. 

I see your point, however flexibility is important. Being able to move into round 1 again adds another year on a contract. I would rather have picks 13 and 26 for example and get a DL and a TE. We could also turn an additional second rounder into a 1 next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BBillsWestCoast said:

I see your point, however flexibility is important. Being able to move into round 1 again adds another year on a contract. I would rather have picks 13 and 26 for example and get a DL and a TE. We could also turn an additional second rounder into a 1 next year. 

I hear ya. 

I look at the Bills draft history under McDermott and Beane and I see a lot of trading back up into the 1st or 2nd to make sure they get guys they really like.

They traded up in the 1st round last year for both Allen and Edmunds.

They traded up in the 2nd round the year before that for both Zay Jones and Dion Dawkins.

I expect them to trade back into the 1st or 2nd round (or both) AGAIN this year to ensure that they get some guys they've zeroed in on.

Me, personally? I'm all for trading down. Give me as many lottery picks as I can get. I just don't know if the Bills will be in that mindset this year. I think, as I said, that its more likely they make a pick at 9 and then come back up into the 1st and/or 2nd to get more impact players. I do NOT expect them to draft 10 players regardless. I'd predict more like 6 or 7.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I hear ya. 

I look at the Bills draft history under McDermott and Beane and I see a lot of trading back up into the 1st or 2nd to make sure they get guys they really like.

They traded up in the 1st round last year for both Allen and Edmunds.

They traded up in the 2nd round the year before that for both Zay Jones and Dion Dawkins.

I expect them to trade back into the 1st or 2nd round (or both) AGAIN this year to ensure that they get some guys they've zeroed in on.

Me, personally? I'm all for trading down. Give me as many lottery picks as I can get. I just don't know if the Bills will be in that mindset this year. I think, as I said, that its more likely they make a pick at 9 and then come back up into the 1st and/or 2nd to get more impact players. I do NOT expect them to draft 10 players regardless. I'd predict more like 6 or 7.

I like your final statement. That would be amazing to get a DL that can pressure and someone they targeted higher  that dropped into the 20's that is "their guy".

I put "These options suck" because I trust the FO to select the BPA, no matter where they play.  Who knows where that's going to be, or how the draft falls out.  If the first 8 picks are all D line, BPA might not be there.  Otherwise it likely will.  But I'm not going to limit myself to the BPA of just one to three positions.  I'm going for BPA, period.

Why are running backs so devalued now?  They were once one of the most sought after players early in the draft.

The Bills need a great young running back.  If that is the (big) missing link this year, and the Bills do not address this clear weakness in the off season, that would be almost negligent. 

Josh Jacobs. Running back, Alabama.  First round.

Last year one of the weakest areas of this team was the running back position.  So, buck the trend, get a player in the first round that will make the entire offense go.

Trade down a bit, get at least another second round pick, and still nab him.

Edited by Mister Defense

Pure BPA. The choices are broken down by position.

Also, I’d rather trade back than trade up. Add picks, unless you are positive about a guy. 

Edited by Augie

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Most the options are well stated...

However, I dont get why you think that Atlanta would trade both Julio Jones and their 2nd round pick for our first.  That seems like a bit of a stretch to me.  I think the more plausible trade there would be one of the following:

• Swapping firsts
  • Sending our 2nd
  • Combo of a 3rd and another pick like a 4th or 5th

More importantly, there is no evidence that Julio is actually available via trade or that Atlanta would be open to it, at least not yet.  

I dont know.  That OBJ trade was for 17 and less than a second.  Far less value than swaping picks with us for a much older WR.

But who is it that they would feel the need to move up for.  Also I dont think Beane would pass up the chance to upgrade with Young elite talent for an aging elite talent.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1