What do we do in the first round? (Options in Poll)

What do we do in the first round?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. There are many first round options. Take an educated guess and please choose

• Take best available pass rusher at #9; front 7 (DE/DT/OLB)
    • Take best available offensive skill position at #9 (WR/TE/RB)
    • Take best available offensive O-Lineman at #9 (OT/OG)
    • Trade down to get another 1st next year like 2017 draft and spin the luck wheel
    • Trade down to get a 2nd or 3rd this year and stay in top 15
    • Trade down to get another 1st this year (e.g. Oakland picks 24 and 27)
    • Trade up for a beast in the top 6 if someone falls
    • Trade #9 for Julio Jones and Atlanta's Round 2, No. 45 overall (ends career as a Bill)
    • Other: comments in thread
    • These options suck!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/21/2019 at 07:00 PM

Most the options are well stated...

However, I dont get why you think that Atlanta would trade both Julio Jones and their 2nd round pick for our first.  That seems like a bit of a stretch to me.  I think the more plausible trade there would be one of the following:

• Swapping firsts
  • Sending our 2nd
  • Combo of a 3rd and another pick like a 4th or 5th

More importantly, there is no evidence that Julio is actually available via trade or that Atlanta would be open to it, at least not yet.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

There is nobody on the Offensive side of the ball worthy of the #9 pick (save maybe Jawaan Taylor). The strength of the draft inside the top 10 is Defense. No question. Therefore, I vote Defense

I dont get why people keep saying this.  Why is a guy worth of being picked say 11th or 12th but not at 9.  I mean that makes no sense.  Nobody has a crystal ball, nobody knows what these future prospects will do.  If a guy is close grouped within a few picks, then he is worthy of being drafted there period.  It all comes down to how the real scouts with each team and the GM project these guys.  

Internet polls, media mocks, media rankings, etc are all meaningless.  Last year I heard over and over how much better Rosen was than Allen as a prospect every time I said Rosen was the 5th QB on my board.  Then it turns out all the NFL teams who needed a QB felt the same, including now the team who drafted him, based on their internal scouting.  He was never in contention for the Browns despite so many saying he was the best QB in the draft, Giants passed, Jets passed, Denver passed, Bills passed (and reportedly didnt even have him on their board) and the Cardinals took him because they had to as all reports were that they coveted Allen not Rosen. 

But again, leading up to the draft so many kept saying Allen was worthy of being drafted that high nor over Rosen.  Why?  Because everyone read mock drafts and media analysis from people who don't know how to project players nor how to really project players in a speficic teams system.

So, this isnt really directed at you...I have heard just about every poster say this and so just addressing this farse that keeps getting repeated around here.  There is no truth to the statement that "no offensive player is worthy of the #9 pick".  Funny thing too is that a lot of people saying that around here have also said they think both DK and TJ have a chance to go before we pick lol.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont get why people keep saying this.  Why is a guy worth of being picked say 11th or 12th but not at 9.  I mean that makes no sense.  Nobody has a crystal ball, nobody knows what these future prospects will do.  If a guy is close grouped within a few picks, then he is worthy of being drafted there period.  It all comes down to how the real scouts with each team and the GM project these guys.  

Internet polls, media mocks, media rankings, etc are all meaningless.  Last year I heard over and over how much better Rosen was than Allen as a prospect every time I said Rosen was the 5th QB on my board.  Then it turns out all the NFL teams who needed a QB felt the same, including now the team who drafted him, based on their internal scouting.  He was never in contention for the Browns despite so many saying he was the best QB in the draft, Giants passed, Jets passed, Denver passed, Bills passed (and reportedly didnt even have him on their board) and the Cardinals took him because they had to as all reports were that they coveted Allen not Rosen. 

But again, leading up to the draft so many kept saying Allen was worthy of being drafted that high nor over Rosen.  Why?  Because everyone read mock drafts and media analysis from people who don't know how to project players nor how to really project players in a speficic teams system.

So, this isnt really directed at you...I have heard just about every poster say this and so just addressing this farse that keeps getting repeated around here.  There is no truth to the statement that "no offensive player is worthy of the #9 pick".  Funny thing too is that a lot of people saying that around here have also said they think both DK and TJ have a chance to go before we pick lol.  

JMO Dawg. I feel like there are no Offensive players ranked higher than Defensive players up to that pick, save QB to a team in need. That simple really. Not saying there are not great skill players, but ranked on my board, There are 9 defensive players that are higher than any one Offensive player. I'm no GM, just a fan with an opinion

• Like (+1) 1

I selected the first option. McD didn’t get any major contributors in FA for the defense, he will want one come draft day.

Oliver

Butler

Sanders

Trade the rest of the picks in for beer. We will need it for all the parades and SB parties.

Edited by CommonCents
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

There are a number of players I would be excited about at 9, including Ed Oliver. 

However, my prediction:  Ed Oliver will be on the board at 9...Bills wont draft him.  Its going to either be a trade down or it will be Edge, DK, or TJ.  And the more and more I think about it, I feel like its going to be DK or TJ.  

I could change that opinion as we learn more along the way, just my gut feeling right now.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

They can do whatever they want with the pick and I am going to be happy.  They litterly can't go wrong unless they reach for someone that should have been a mid too low first rounder at 9.  Which they will not do.  Beane is going to nail this draft.  

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

JMO Dawg. I feel like there are no Offensive players ranked higher than Defensive players up to that pick, save QB to a team in need. That simple really. Not saying there are not great skill players, but ranked on my board, There are 9 defensive players that are higher than any one Offensive player. I'm no GM, just a fan with an opinion

Oh I get it, and you are definitely not alone in that opinion.  But for me, its not like its a big drop off.  I mean if an offensive player is worthy of the 12th pick, then he is just as worthy of the 9th pick.  The reason for that is because projecting players is a guessing game, and if a guy is graded that closely its then just splitting hairs on who someone prefers.  

If a team is in love with TJ for instance, they are not going to care if there is some other defender the fans/media ranked higher overall.  BPA is not based on the pre draft rankings floating around the internet.  BPA refers to the teams overall draft board where they have factored in wants, needs, scheme fit, interviews, projections, role impact, etc.  

All good man, just commenting in general to this statement that keeps getting repeated by many people.  Its just not accurate to say that no offensive player is worth of the 9th pick.  Once the draft is over, where you were drafted is irrelevant.  Its what you do on the field.  How many people felt Allen wasn't worthy of the 7th pick last year?  All that matters is how a team values said player to their specific team.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There are a number of players I would be excited about at 9, including Ed Oliver. 

However, my prediction:  Ed Oliver will be on the board at 9...Bills wont draft him.  Its going to either be a trade down or it will be Edge, DK, or TJ.  And the more and more I thunk about it, I feel like its going to be DK or TJ.  

I could change that opinion as we learn more along the way, just my gut feeling right now.  Dont get me wrong, I am all for drafting Oliver (or other DT), I just have a feeling it wont be the case come Draft night.  

And that would be fine by me. So long as they can grab Simmons or Tillery in the 2nd. We actually NEED a penetrating 3tech to maximize McD's defense. And I don't see that on our roster at the moment. There is a bigger gap between Oliver/Wilkins and our roster than say DK/TJ on our roster. Not that both those guys are not quite a bit better than what we now have, I just see the bigger gap between the DL

I don't know that the terminology in the poll is perfectly accurate, but I answered as best as I could.  Specifically, I think Ed Oliver might be at least a slight favorite to be the Bills pick at #9, but while he is a DT, he has not been really outstanding as a pass rusher.  Brian Burns could be available at #9, and he is almost certainly a better pass rusher.

2 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

They can do whatever they want with the pick and I am going to be happy.  They litterly can't go wrong unless they reach for someone that should have been a mid too low first rounder at 9.  Which they will not do.  Beane is going to nail this draft.  

Pretty much where I am at on this too.  There are so many exciting prospects at 9, its going to be great!  And even better if he trades down and gets more picks.  I am beyond sold on Beane and fully confident in him and McD going into this draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Oh I get it, and you are definitely not alone in that opinion.  But for me, its not like its a big drop off.  I mean if an offensive player is worthy of the 12th pick, then he is just as worthy of the 9th pick.  The reason for that is because projecting players is a guessing game, and if a guy is graded that closely its then just splitting hairs on who someone prefers.  

If a team is in love with TJ for instance, they are not going to care if there is some other defender the fans/media ranked higher overall.  BPA is not based on the pre draft rankings floating around the internet.  BPA refers to the teams overall draft board where they have factored in wants, needs, scheme fit, interviews, projections, role impact, etc.  

All good man, just commenting in general to this statement that keeps getting repeated by many people.  Its just not accurate to say that no offensive player is worth of the 9th pick.  Once the draft is over, where you were drafted is irrelevant.  Its what you do on the field.  How many people felt Allen wasn't worthy of the 7th pick last year?  All that matters is how a team values said player to their specific team.  

Agreed

• Like (+1) 1