Trent Murphy probably not going anywhere

Doc

30 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

He's average when healthy and paid likes he's great.

18 players with same or more in sacks, 49 players with same or more in TFLs, 3 players with same or more in QB hits. Those numbers are OK. 

Let's stop overrating Buffalo Bills this year please. 

You are missing my point. An AV rating of "2" equates with a backup non-contributor. There's clearly an error. It was his best season by far yet his Approximate Value rating was the lowest he ever received.

8 hours ago, Doc said:

As of yesterday, $2.5M of Murphy's $5.8M 2019 salary was guaranteed, along with a $500K roster bonus.  I think it's safe to say he's probably not getting cut and that he's 100% healthy.  Let's hope.

Agreed, he will be here barring some kind of injury derails his camp/preseason.  

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Because I watched very closely last year. Even the games he was "healthy" I saw a guy fighting his body. I have a pretty good working knowledge of sports medicine and I have seen that before with guys and they rarely if ever get fully healthy again. He looked like he had a fundamental imbalance and that can happen when you have had to have serious surgeries on one side. 

As I say, I'd shocked if he makes it through camp healthy and even more shocked if he makes it through a season healthy and able to contribute. 

I think Zay is in more jeopardy than Murphy personally.  Now, if health comes into play with Murphy, I agree he will in trouble.  But if healthy, he will be on this team come week 1 IMO, especially after his money is now guaranteed.

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Is he? Honest question?  I know you can never have enough pass rushers but he really isn’t that good at that.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MurpTr00.htm

also, not staying healthy is a real thing.

I don't think Trent Murphy is a dominating player at his position, but he does make plays.

He's a good pass rusher, but not very good against the run.

Sacks, hurries and pressure is what you will get from him.

I like what he brings to the team, I just hope he stays healthy.

Is he an All-Pro? No. Yet he can be very useful for our defense, and I think our coaching staff can use him properly.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think Zay is in more jeopardy than Murphy personally.  Now, if health comes into play with Murphy, I agree he will in trouble.  But if healthy, he will be on this team come week 1 IMO, especially after his money is now guaranteed.

I agree that if Murphy stays healthy all camp and pre-season he makes the 53. I just see the possibility of him staying healthy as pretty remote. 

• Like (+1) 1

Only the waste of a roster spot FB signed by McDermott is a worse signing by this front office. Last year (just like this year) people said don’t worry the Bills can get out of the contract. It was a terrible signing then and is compounded now by not getting rid of him. Best case scenario is he gets suspended again and the team can go after some of the money already paid. Lawson outplayed Murphy most of last season. I don’t think he is an awful backup but just not worth the money. But who cares about the money? The Bills have enough cap space in 2019 and 2020 even with his terrible contract to sign any free agent they want.

Apparently some posters aren't aware that T Murphy is an above average DE and are describing him as a "rotational" player. There are 2 possible scenarios in which Murphy doesn't start at LDE in 2019 besides injury. The first is that Shaq wins the job. Murphy is ever so slightly better than Shaq at this point. The other is the Bills draft a DE in the 1st round. This 2nd scenario seems less likely because we have much bigger needs, but you never know. It would make no sense to keep him if they were going DE on day 1, though. I think Shaq would be gone if we go DE on day 1 or 2.

I think he's a pretty good player. Never really understood why so many fans feel like he should've been/should be cut. He's dealt with some tough injuries but he's effective when he's healthy. They aren't necessarily stacked at DE so it never made sense to me to consider cutting Murphy. Why weaken the position group even further? Hughes is in his last year, Lawson could be in his last year depending on what they do, behind those guys they have who, Eddie Yarbs and Mike Love? Just makes no sense to cut Murphy when you don't have a viable starter on the roster to replace him. He's on this team for the foreseeable future.

And, I feel like some people forget this, but this front office doesn't sign players solely on their on-field performance. I'm certain their on-field performance is probably 75-80% of the equation but they have certain character traits they want in their players. Murphy fits what they look for in character to a T, he's a team-first guy, extremely hard worker, professional, veteran experience and he'll probably assume some leadership this season in his second year here. At the end of the day, they aren't going to keep you on because you're a hard worker or a good dude if you aren't producing on the field, I realize that, but those traits do matter to McBeane. 

Just taking a look at the DL as it is now is the main reason why I think they're taking the best available DE/DT on the board in the first round. Get a guy who can work up and down the line and you'll gain some flexibility in what you can do with guys like Murphy and Hughes. This is also why I feel like Ed Oliver is pretty high on their board. Guy can play inside and outside. I also think Christian Wilkins makes a lot of sense given his ability and especially his character. DL is  huge in McDermott's defense and I just can't see any way they don't take one of these stud DL players that are available this year.

• Like (+1) 2