Trent Murphy probably not going anywhere

Doc

52 minutes ago, The Tomcat said:

I was happy we got him.  He flashed a little last year but wasn't himself.  Hopefully he returns to the form he showed previously since we have a year, now 2 invested in him.

I've never been a fan of us signing him but I'm curious. You said he wasn't himself. My issue with all the money we gave him was that he had 1 good year in his career, with the other seasons being cut short with injuries, which as you know is what happened when he got here as well. So maybe Murphy is just an oft injured DE who can never stay on the field. Or maybe he can put up 9-10 sacks a year. Our GM obviously made the investment hoping he could contribute. Hopefully he can because we surely need him to.

But until he does I'll always look at this contract in a negative way, paying $7-8 mil per year for a guy who only plays 40% of the snaps, and thats when he's healthy enuff to do so.

Hopefully he has a solid year this year

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

It's only like a 2 mil cap savings and 6+ of dead cap to cut him now.

If they were going to cut him they probably would have already.

If he can't get on the field in camp he will be cut. I agree if he is healthy then in all likelihood he sticks. He won't be healthy. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I still say he won't be on the opening day 53. I don't expect him to get out of camp. I think they should have cut him, he won't stay healthy. 

Gunner, the limb you are going out on is hanging precariously. Should I call the ambulance before or after the anticipated fall when this year's roster is set. You need to climb up a different tree with sturdier limbs. He's a solid two way player and there is a roll for him. That is not to say that we couldn't use a more pure pass rusher. Murphy is a classic wrestling coach kind of guy. I'm confident that he will be on the roster on opening day. :)

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If he can't get on the field in camp he will be cut. I agree if he is healthy then in all likelihood he sticks. He won't be healthy. 

Do you have some specific information on his health? What makes you think he won't be healthy after having a full off season to get healthy?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

As of yesterday, $2.5M of Murphy's $5.8M 2019 salary was guaranteed, along with a $500K roster bonus.  I think it's safe to say he's probably not getting cut and that he's 100% healthy.  Let's hope.

This is his do or die year.  I personally would have moved on with huge cap savings but McD and BB obviously know more than I. 

With that said he is no GTD to make final roster. He may be a final cut.  

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Gunner, the limb you are going out on is hanging precariously. Should I call the ambulance before or after the anticipated fall when this year's roster is set. You need to climb up a different tree with sturdier limbs. He's a solid two way player and there is a roll for him. That is not to say that we couldn't use a more pure pass rusher. Murphy is a classic wrestling coach kind of guy. I'm confident that he will be on the roster on opening day. :)

My limbs are sturdier than Trent's. 

My point on Trent has never been that he isn't a capable player by the way. I have liked him going back to the draft and I liked the pick up. But I watched him very closely when he was out there last year and he was not moving well at all. He looked like a guy whose body is failing. I will be shocked if he stays healthy through camp. 

Many Bills fans seem to have only two categories for players:

1 - He's great. Quality starter
2- What a bum. Total loser. We should cut him

Apparently, there's no such thing as depth or rotation. If a guy isn't a consistent all-pro, he should hit the unemployment line.

I agree Murphy needs to get healthy and stay healthy. But anyone saying he stinks or should be cut is silly to me. Why cut the second best defensive end on our roster? Doesn't make any sense. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, jabu said:

Do you have some specific information on his health? What makes you think he won't be healthy after having a full off season to get healthy?

Because I watched very closely last year. Even the games he was "healthy" I saw a guy fighting his body. I have a pretty good working knowledge of sports medicine and I have seen that before with guys and they rarely if ever get fully healthy again. He looked like he had a fundamental imbalance and that can happen when you have had to have serious surgeries on one side. 

As I say, I'd shocked if he makes it through camp healthy and even more shocked if he makes it through a season healthy and able to contribute. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Some guys are injury prone because they are brittle.

Some guys are injury prone because of their style of play.

Some guys are injury prone because they don't take care of themselves and their bodies. 

Some guys are injury prone because of their body types and the position they play who cannot withstand the punishment. 

Some guys are injury prone as their body breaks down because they are older. 

Some guys are injury prone because they are just unlucky. 

None of the first five "seem" to be the case with Murphy although I don't know for sure. Here is to hoping he has some good luck. 

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Is he? Honest question?  I know you can never have enough pass rushers but he really isn’t that good at that.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MurpTr00.htm

also, not staying healthy is a real thing.

That's screwed up - PFR gave him an AV of only 2 in 2016 despite 9 sacks, 10 TFLs, and 25 QB hits. That's wrong; those numbers are good. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rubes said:

He's a good player when healthy. Which needs to be more often than it has been.

He's average when healthy and paid likes he's great.

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That's screwed up - PFR gave him an AV of only 2 in 2016 despite 9 sacks, 10 TFLs, and 25 QB hits. That's wrong; those numbers are good. 

18 players with same or more in sacks, 49 players with same or more in TFLs, 3 players with same or more in QB hits. Those numbers are OK. 

Let's stop overrating Buffalo Bills this year please. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

I hear injured guys sometimes never return to form.

Yep.. but considering they have already paid 75% of his cost already this season you may as well roll the dice now..

12 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

He's average when healthy and paid likes he's great.

You should see what the "great" DE's are getting paid... a lot more than $7Mil a year

• Like (+1) 1