Report: Bills were 'furious' about Jets' 2018 trade-up for Sam Darnold

HOUSE

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I'm sure the Bills were more than happy with the way it eventually turned out.

I believe both QBs will do well in the AFC-East but I prefer Allen's leadership and scrambling ability.

I am not impressed with the Jets coaching staff..

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Rosen wasn't on their board. Nor was Mayfield. The Bills were all in on Allen or Darnold and if they didn't come away with one of them they'd have taken Mason Rudolph later. 

a curiosity   - How do you know?  

An educated guess or did someone in the Bills post the draft board? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It may just be my opinion from paying close attention but I think they wanted Darnold or Allen and not mayfield or Rosen. I don’t think they ever thought they had a chance at Darnold based on where they were drafting and he was long rumored to he going #1. They were rumored to have tried like hell to get to 2. If you recall they took a somewhat last minute trip out to Cali to meet with Darnild and put him through a workout. I believe this was when they found out the Browns weren’t sold on him at 1 and that he might end up being available. I have no idea who they had ranked higher, it could have been Darnold,  but if they were mad that the Jets got to 3 I think it was because they had 2 guys on their board and they could have both been gone by the time they picked. they tried to get to 2 before the draft and then to 5 on draft day.

This is exactly right. 

Like I say I was told by a former NFL position coach I know who had spoken to someone in the Bills organisation after the draft. His source only found out our board when he walked into the room on draft night. Beane and McDermott played it very close to their chest the speculation is fewer than half a dozen people knew which way they were going at QB. Their guys were Sam Darnold and Josh Allen. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It may just be my opinion from paying close attention but I think they wanted Darnold or Allen and not mayfield or Rosen. I don’t think they ever thought they had a chance at Darnold based on where they were drafting and he was long rumored to he going #1. They were rumored to have tried like hell to get to 2. If you recall they took a somewhat last minute trip out to Cali to meet with Darnild and put him through a workout. I believe this was when they found out the Browns weren’t sold on him at 1 and that he might end up being available. I have no idea who they had ranked higher, it could have been Darnold,  but if they were mad that the Jets got to 3 I think it was because they had 2 guys on their board and they could have both been gone by the time they picked. they tried to get to 2 before the draft and then to 5 on draft day.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Rosen wasn't on their board. Nor was Mayfield. The Bills were all in on Allen or Darnold and if they didn't come away with one of them they'd have taken Mason Rudolph later. 

fair enough. they wanted darnold and were furious with the jets for taking their guy and ended up with their second choice, allen.

personally, I'm really glad the jets messed up their plan. I would take allen over darnold any day of the week.

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

a curiosity   - How do you know?  

An educated guess or did someone in the Bills post the draft board? 

See my post below. It is second hand but it comes from a good source and it wasn't leaked before the draft info (which can sometimes be for tactical reasons) this was info that only came out post draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Giants were in a position to rake us over the coals. We were worried our 2-year plan to trade talent and gain capital, including trading out of a chance to take Mahomes or Watson, had fallen apart and we were about to be locked out of a primo QB prospect. NYG could have extorted us.

6 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

fair enough. they wanted darnold and were furious with the jets for taking their guy and ended up with their second choice, allen.

personally, I'm really glad the jets messed up their plan. I would take allen over darnold any day of the week.

Im not sure about all that... I think they were just mad that the Jets were at 3. They didn’t know who they were taking. There were rumors for weeks that the Jets really wanted mayfield. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Forgive me for forgetting TB in the equation. Was my spelling ok at least? Any opinions on the post or were you just fact checking?

Also the jets traded up to 3 a week before the draft. Both trades by the Bills were draft day trades. 

NYJs GM didn't do anything special to "jump" the Bills after the bills moved up. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Need more context for why were the Bills furious. Who on the Buffalo staff was furious? Did the Bills try to trade with the Colts already? I don’t think IF someone was furious it was because they wanted Darnold. I believe the Bills had Darnold and Allen ranked pretty equally, albeit for different reasons. This article doesn’t state, nor should it, that the Bills were furious because they wanted Darnold.

As I recall up until 1-2 weeks before the draft (well after this trade), Darnold was assumed to be the #1 pick by the Browns.  So I can't imagine they thought the Jets outmaneuvered them for Darnold.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think we can all sit here today and say we were pissed also.  That was the trade the Bills were supposed to make and it really didn't cost much to do it.  It worked out for both teams in the end so now it's a moot point.  Both teams and fan bases are happy with the picks.  

1 hour ago, nucci said:

I doubt the Bills were furious....they had to know Darnold was going in 1st 5 picks

The above makes complete sense to me.

Before that draft Darnold would have been my top pick, and it wasn't that close. The order of my favorites for the Bills was:

Darnold

Allen

Mayfield

Rosen

Now, one year later; the jury is still out on who will be the best but I am perfectly happy with Allen. I'm sorry but how could one not be happy about his arm? Imo his arm strength compares to that of Bledsoe in many ways. The kid can run as a weapon and to get out of trouble to boot. In short, his ceiling is sky high.

Can I guarantee that he will be better than Darnold? No I cannot but we have needed a kid with his talent for quite some time and now we have him. The front office owes it to him and the fans to get out there and draft him some more protection.

Damn, now I'm getting all riled up.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

I think we can all sit here today and say we were pissed also.  That was the trade the Bills were supposed to make and it really didn't cost much to do it.  It worked out for both teams in the end so now it's a moot point.  Both teams and fan bases are happy with the picks.  

It didn’t “cost much” for the Jets because they were at 6 and only had to move up 3 spots, giving the Colts a pick still in the top 10 which is what they said they needed. What do you think it would have cost the Bills to move up from 12? A LOT more. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Let me put it this way. I would NOT trade Allen for Darnold.....noooooo

too early for me to say.  they both have a distinct set of strengths and weaknesses.   I would venture a guess that most Jets fans would say “hell no” to trading Darnold straight-up for Allen, too!!!

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Need more context for why were the Bills furious. Who on the Buffalo staff was furious? Did the Bills try to trade with the Colts already? I don’t think IF someone was furious it was because they wanted Darnold. I believe the Bills had Darnold and Allen ranked pretty equally, albeit for different reasons. This article doesn’t state, nor should it, that the Bills were furious because they wanted Darnold.

Seriously.  Did they want Darnold, or were they pissed that NY established the draft trade market so expensive?

2 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

Yeah, the more I thought about it the more I thought about deleting it but I had already put in so much work! 

I'm also curious as to why you don't think Andrew Luck factors in that equation.

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It didn’t “cost much” for the Jets because they were at 6 and only had to move up 3 spots, giving the Colts a pick still in the top 10 which is what they said they needed. What do you think it would have cost the Bills to move up from 12? A LOT more. 

There was NO way the Colts were trading down to 12. None. It's just stupid for anyone to suggest that's the trade the Bills "were supposed to make." 

15 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

Moving up a few spots for the Jets was a massive overpay. I'm sure they don't regret it, as they got their guy, but their roster still sucks and they have less ammunition to help out their quarterback. But I agree, both teams and fan bases are happy with their picks. But we have ten picks this year and they have 6, and no second rounder. After picking #3, they don't have another pick until the third. They have a second third rounder for Teddy Bridgewater, but that's closer to a 4th rounder. So the move was kind of short sighted and they basically paid double. 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

No, the Bills wanted Allen all along. 

• Like (+1) 1