Report: Bills were 'furious' about Jets' 2018 trade-up for Sam Darnold

HOUSE

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I'd have been furious had the Bills taken Lamar.   He was last on my list. 

He wasn’t on my list at all.  It inspires confidence in the Bills’ FO that he wasn’t on their list either.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

For anyone who cares: in case it wasn't confirmed by someone in the know earlier in this thread, the Bills had Darnold-Allen 1-2 on their board.

I think it's pretty clear a year later the vast majority of teams had Baker / Darnold / Allen as 1 - 2 - 3 in some order on their boards and the "Chosen Rosen" narrative along with the "Josh Allen is a sure bust" was largely a media creation.  IMO most, if not all, teams had Rosen as a distant 4th.  There were 3 "prizes" and the Jets moving to 3 assured they would get one.

Honestly don't care that much as I would have been happy with Darnold or Allen.

Both can win games, but Allen is just so much more entertaining to watch play. You can never say a play is dead with that kid either scrambling or throwing a strike 40 yards downfield. Been a long time since our offense was actually fun for me to watch.

Ran into a Vikings fan on my flight with the Fam to Costa Rica. The dreaded "what's your team question came up", not like folks are jerks, but I hate the pity. Told him I was a Bills fan and he went on and on about how he thought Allen was a rare talent and would develop into a great QB.

Said he was an NDSU alumni had been following Wyoming football for a while, particularly since they hired some former NDSU coaches to run that program. He was not surprised with what Allen did against the Vikings, and he thought Allen was going to surprise a lot of folks.

Was a pleasant surprise to have that kind of conversation about my Bills.

Also said it sucked we were in the same division with Belichick, made the Rams offense look silly in the SB.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I wouldnt have taken Lamar either. It would like trading Tyrod to draft Tyrod

Ironic that Baltimore took him!

Lamar was my dark horse QB.  Despite all his running and lack of touch on the ball, he seemed to read the field and make good decisions in college.

His touch improved last year.  Interested to see how good he will be. 

Edited by GaryPinC

On 3/19/2019 at 5:36 AM, HOUSE said:
Image result for josh allen

The New York Jets made a franchise-defining move last year on St. Patrick’s Day. General manager Mike Maccagnan sent three second-round picks (two in 2018 and one in 2019) along with New York’s 2018 first-round pick to the Indianapolis Colts for the third-overall pick in last year’s draft.

As history would have it, the Jets selected USC quarterback Sam Darnold, who was the No. 1 target for New York entering the draft period, according to ESPN.

The aggressive move by Maccagnan essentially placed several quarterback-needy teams, including the Buffalo Bills, in panic mode to scramble and position themselves in a good spot to land one of the top-tier quarterbacks on their big boards. After all, there’s only a finite number of NFL-caliber quarterbacks in college.

In reviewing the trade a year later, ESPN highlighted that the Bills were not too happy with this move the Jets. Per the report, the Bills were “furious” about the move:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/18/buffalo-bills-furious-new-york-jets-2018-trade-nfl-draft-sam-darnold-josh-allen/

Funny Everytime a reporter lies.

Just now, GaryPinC said:

Ironic that Baltimore took him!

Lamar was my dark horse QB.  Despite all his running and lack of touch on the ball, he seemed to read the field and make good decisions in college.

His touch improved last year.  Interested to see how good he will be. 

Wtf he was garbage other then being a RB.

4 hours ago, BananaB said:

I think Baker is an extremely accurate QB who has had the luxury playing with a lot of talent around him. It’s odd that Jarvis Landry just had his worst season since his rookie year.  Has Baker showed any improvement from his time in college to the end of his first year? He’s been the exact same QB  the whole time. 

So a QB who just broke the rookie TD record in 13.5 games, with a team that was 1-32-1 in the 2 season and change before him, hasn't changed or improved? Before the draft last year people were saying that he worked in a spread offense and had never run a pro-style system before and suddenly he does it exceptionally well but didn't improve on anything. 

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

Funny Everytime a reporter lies.

Wtf he was garbage other then being a RB.

????   He's a rookie.  Your assessment is garbage.  Let's look at the other rookies.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&season=2018&seasonType=REG&experience=0&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

Rk Player Team Pos Comp Att Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Int 1st 1st% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck Rate
1 Baker Mayfield CLE QB 310 486 63.8 34.7 3,725 7.7 266.1 27 14 171 35.2 71 52 9 25 93.7
2 Sam Darnold NYJ QB 239 414 57.7 31.8 2,865 6.9 220.4 17 15 130 31.4 76T 40 4 30 77.6
3 Josh Rosen ARI QB 217 393 55.2 28.1 2,278 5.8 162.7 11 14 112 28.5 75T 23 4 45 66.7
4 Josh Allen BUF QB 169 320 52.8 26.7 2,074 6.5 172.8 10 12 89 27.8 75T 30 5 28 67.9
5 Lamar Jackson BAL QB 99 170 58.2 10.6 1,201 7.1 75.1 6 3 60 35.3 74 13 2 16 84.5

He only really played QB in 7 games, even though Baltimore threw him in there every game for a handful of snaps..  So these Att/G is skewed because he averaged about 23 Att/G when starting.  I would also estimate he averaged around 160 yds per game in those 7 games, not the 75 over 16.

How's he compare to Josh Allen?  Would Baltimore seriously let Flacco walk for a garbage replacement?

Highlights:  Lot of runs but look at the passes also.  The guy sees the field so well on runs and passes.  Excited to see what he does next year!

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I didn't want Allen. But it was not because of completion percentage. It was his tape. I have seen improvements in some of those facets I didn't like in his time in the league, but some of the same issues do still appear on his Bills tape too.

After the Bills traded TT to the Browns we Bills fans knew that they were going after a QB in the 2018 draft. That said, I watched as many games as I could on youtube on Darnold, Rosen, Allen, and Mayfield. I didn't bother with Lamar Jackson simply because I looked at him as more of what they already had with Taylor and they wanted more of a pocket QB.

I didn't just watch highlights as I watched entire games and came away really liking only one QB. I liked Mayfield too, just not as much. 

Yes, Allen had his flaws. But they were correctable as his biggest problem with his accuracy issues were his footwork. After working with Jordan Palmer right after the 2017 College season ended he had worked to correct his footwork. Allen even stated as such while being interviewed by Mike Mayock at the combine and Mayock noted that he looked so much better with touch passes in the senior bowl. 

The biggest thing I took away from watching Josh Allen play in his final season at Wyoming was that he basically carried his team to an 8-5 record and a bowl game win. Allen didn't have a rusher with over 500 yards or a receiver with more than 550 yards and almost everyone on offense that touched the ball in 2016 was gone from the team in 2017. At 6'5'' 233lbs with a cannon for an arm and an ability to run when needed was outstanding. Plus, this kid played at Wyoming in the snow and cold so in Buffalo he would feel right at home.

I listened to his college coach Craig Bohl rave about how Allen's arm made the opposing team's defense cover the entire field. About how Allen's hero was Brett Favre and in practice they would call for a dump off to the FB and instead Allen would throw a deep out for a TD! His coach would ask what the heck are you doing?  Allen's response was "Favre says touchdowns first"! He would then run the play properly. 

Allen's positive attitude and desire to win was infectious and no matter what would happen he was always upbeat in motivating his teammates. His coaches, teammates loved him. I'm pretty sure that after watching Allen play in Buffalo this past season that most Bills fans now love him too. Hopefully, the entire NFL world will soon catch on. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

????   He's a rookie.  Your assessment is garbage.  Let's look at the other rookies.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&season=2018&seasonType=REG&experience=0&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

Rk Player Team Pos Comp Att Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Int 1st 1st% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck Rate
1 Baker Mayfield CLE QB 310 486 63.8 34.7 3,725 7.7 266.1 27 14 171 35.2 71 52 9 25 93.7
2 Sam Darnold NYJ QB 239 414 57.7 31.8 2,865 6.9 220.4 17 15 130 31.4 76T 40 4 30 77.6
3 Josh Rosen ARI QB 217 393 55.2 28.1 2,278 5.8 162.7 11 14 112 28.5 75T 23 4 45 66.7
4 Josh Allen BUF QB 169 320 52.8 26.7 2,074 6.5 172.8 10 12 89 27.8 75T 30 5 28 67.9
5 Lamar Jackson BAL QB 99 170 58.2 10.6 1,201 7.1 75.1 6 3 60 35.3 74 13 2 16 84.5

He only really played QB in 7 games, even though Baltimore threw him in there every game for a handful of snaps..  So these Att/G is skewed because he averaged about 23 Att/G when starting.  I would also estimate he averaged around 160 yds per game in those 7 games, not the 75 over 16.

How's he compare to Josh Allen?  Would Baltimore seriously let Flacco walk for a garbage replacement?

Highlights:  Lot of runs but look at the passes also.  The guy sees the field so well on runs and passes.  Excited to see what he does next year!

Yes they would, he had WRs the Bills had none. He had an offensive line, Bills had none. Stats don't tell the story but it explains why you think he is good.

7 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Yes they would, he had WRs the Bills had none. He had an offensive line, Bills had none. Stats don't tell the story but it explains why you think he is good.

If you bothered to watch that highlight video you would see some pretty strong, on the money passes with touch to boot.

No matter, we'll find out in the fall.

@Nihilarian - that's fine you liked his college tape. You might even be right to have liked him, he could turn out the best in the class. My point was do not tar everyone who didn't like Josh Allen with the brush that they just looked at completion percentage. I looked at his tape. I didn't like it. Too much natural inaccuracy (and it was still there as the NFL season went on but less and less the further into the season). And I don't mean incompletions either before you tell me again who he played with. I mean inaccuracy. You saw some of those throws differently that is fine. But lumping anyone who didn't like Allen in together as box score watches is lazy and incorrect. 

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

So a QB who just broke the rookie TD record in 13.5 games, with a team that was 1-32-1 in the 2 season and change before him, hasn't changed or improved? Before the draft last year people were saying that he worked in a spread offense and had never run a pro-style system before and suddenly he does it exceptionally well but didn't improve on anything. 

I don’t give a ***** what the experts say, i’ve seen just about every game he played at Oklahoma and wanted the Bills to draft since the first game I watched. He hasn’t changed, Baker is who he is. Surround him with talent and he’ll succeed. And let’s face it, if you watched the Browns play the first few games last year the guy that was holding the team back was Taylor. They have a lot of talent (even more now) and they had it at the  beginning of last year.

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

@Nihilarian - that's fine you liked his college tape. You might even be right to have liked him, he could turn out the best in the class. My point was do not tar everyone who didn't like Josh Allen with the brush that they just looked at completion percentage. I looked at his tape. I didn't like it. Too much natural inaccuracy (and it was still there as the NFL season went on but less and less the further into the season). And I don't mean incompletions either before you tell me again who he played with. I mean inaccuracy. You saw some of those throws differently that is fine. But lumping anyone who didn't like Allen in together as box score watches is lazy and incorrect. 

`I think you may need to reread my post because I have no idea what you are talking about. 

My point was... there is more like about a player then just accuracy and that the player was working to correct his accuracy issues. I even stated how the player was inaccurate and how he knew he had that issue was working to correct that particular issue.

Josh Allen fit all the criteria that most NFL scouts look for in an NFL pocket QB in terms of physical ability and whats more he was exactly the type of player teams want that have a tremendous desire to win while showing great leadership skills. 

I just don't understand the merit. It's like saying the Bills were furious after a loss. Meh. I'm sure any team would be "furious" if a player they coveted was drafted right before their pick whether it be round 1 or round 4. How is that interesting?

As far as I can tell, the Bills targeted Allen all along. So they were mad that another QB needy team jumped to 3? Should they be happy or what? I don't get it.

45 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

`I think you may need to reread my post because I have no idea what you are talking about. 

My point was... there is more like about a player then just accuracy and that the player was working to correct his accuracy issues. I even stated how the player was inaccurate and how he knew he had that issue was working to correct that particular issue.

Josh Allen fit all the criteria that most NFL scouts look for in an NFL pocket QB in terms of physical ability and whats more he was exactly the type of player teams want that have a tremendous desire to win while showing great leadership skills. 

The single most important facet for an NFL Quarterback in my mind is accuracy.