Report: Bills were 'furious' about Jets' 2018 trade-up for Sam Darnold

18 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Correct, but by that time, it was becoming apparent that Allen was probably not one of the top two. Darnold was. There were some questions about whether Rosen or Mayfield would be the other of the first two.

So while there's no proof, it was pretty likely that Allen wasn't their original first choice. Can never be proved, but the fact that they were furious is a strong indicator, as it wasn't likely (by that point) that Allen would be gone that early.

Things seem to have worked out OK, so far at least.

I believe that Darnold was our #1 choice.

I said that for awhile leading up to the draft.

So this doesn't surprise me. But the poster you respond to has a great point. While you say it's clear Darnold was highly likely one of the top 2 QBs, I don't think anyone had a clue outside of him.

Mayfield going #1 was NOT the expectation a month or even a week leading up to the draft. I know because I was praying we'd get him and thought we had a great chance up until that last week (or was it day or 2...?) when suddenly Mayfield was the guy. Talk was all over the place for every other QB nationally. I'm sure it was the same among scouting and GM inner circles.

So it's extremely reasonable to think Beane had Allen graded out as his 2nd QB just behind Darnold (pretty sure he basically said that about as directly as a GM can after the draft) and that he was now worried he'd lose his top 2 guys to Cleveland and the Jets.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-draft-browns-take-sam-darnold-at-no-1-josh-allen-to-jets-and-other-predictions/amp/

Josh Allen doesn't get past the Jets

If the Giants select a quarterback second overall, then all the more reason that this will hold true. But even if it doesn't, the metrics – completion percentage aside – are very high and this kid has been impressing NFL teams the more time he spends around them and the Jets are among a handful of teams who were already super impressed by what Allen did in 2016. He won't have to wait long when Day 1 of the draft begins.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/josh-allen-thinks-jets-trade-move-no-3-pick-article-1.3885810%3foutputType=amp

Allen, part of the Big Three in this quarterback class (along with Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen), could be a member of Gang Green in five weeks depending on how the signal-caller dominoes fall on the first night of the draft.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/4/17/17245210/nfl-mock-draft-4-0-josh-allen-cleveland-browns

The Ringer’s 2018 NFL Mock Draft, Version 4.0

How would the Browns taking Josh Allen with the top overall pick change the rest of the draft?

It’s getting harder and harder to scoff at the rumors linking Josh Allen to the Browns with the top pick. Well, we can still scoff—but there’s a growing list of reporters and analysts who seem convinced Cleveland’s interest in Allen is genuine: ESPN’s Mel Kiper has steadfastly put the Wyoming signal-caller in the top spot in every one of his mock drafts over the past few months; Peter King reported that his source close to Browns GM John Dorsey believes Cleveland will take Allen; Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer has heard Cleveland is still trying to decide between Allen and Sam Darnold; and both NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah and NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein have reported that the Allen-to-Cleveland rumors have some legs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2018/4/26/17287050/jets-draft-rumor-coaches-pushing-for-josh-allen

Jets Draft Rumor: Coaches Pushing for Josh Allen?

7 hours ago, Doc said:

That didn't even enter into it at the time.  The Browns had the 1st overall and were expected to take a QB.  The Giants refused to budge from 2 and everyone thought they'd also be taking a QB.  So when the Jets (who wanted a QB) traded up to 3, after the Bills probably thought they had a deal with the Colts, the Bills probably thought they would lose-out on Allen, Darnold and Mayfield. 

Actually everyone knew the Giants were not going QB. At the point the Jets traded up Darnold was still the presumed consensus #1. The Bills were worried the Jets (who were the first NFL franchise to go and scout Josh Allen live back in 2017) would take Allen at #3 and their two guys would be gone. It's as simple as that.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So this doesn't surprise me. But the poster you respond to has a great point. While you say it's clear Darnold was highly likely one of the top 2 QBs, I don't think anyone had a clue outside of him.

Mayfield going #1 was NOT the expectation a month or even a week leading up to the draft. I know because I was praying we'd get him and thought we had a great chance up until that last week (or was it day or 2...?) when suddenly Mayfield was the guy. Talk was all over the place for every other QB nationally. I'm sure it was the same among scouting and GM inner circles.

So it's extremely reasonable to think Beane had Allen graded out as his 2nd QB just behind Darnold (pretty sure he basically said that about as directly as a GM can after the draft) and that he was now worried he'd lose his top 2 guys to Cleveland and the Jets.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-draft-browns-take-sam-darnold-at-no-1-josh-allen-to-jets-and-other-predictions/amp/

If the Giants select a quarterback second overall, then all the more reason that this will hold true. But even if it doesn't, the metrics – completion percentage aside – are very high and this kid has been impressing NFL teams the more time he spends around them and the Jets are among a handful of teams who were already super impressed by what Allen did in 2016. He won't have to wait long when Day 1 of the draft begins.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/josh-allen-thinks-jets-trade-move-no-3-pick-article-1.3885810%3foutputType=amp

Allen, part of the Big Three in this quarterback class (along with Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen), could be a member of Gang Green in five weeks depending on how the signal-caller dominoes fall on the first night of the draft.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/4/17/17245210/nfl-mock-draft-4-0-josh-allen-cleveland-browns

How would the Browns taking Josh Allen with the top overall pick change the rest of the draft?

It’s getting harder and harder to scoff at the rumors linking Josh Allen to the Browns with the top pick. Well, we can still scoff—but there’s a growing list of reporters and analysts who seem convinced Cleveland’s interest in Allen is genuine: ESPN’s Mel Kiper has steadfastly put the Wyoming signal-caller in the top spot in every one of his mock drafts over the past few months; Peter King reported that his source close to Browns GM John Dorsey believes Cleveland will take Allen; Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer has heard Cleveland is still trying to decide between Allen and Sam Darnold; and both NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah and NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein have reported that the Allen-to-Cleveland rumors have some legs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2018/4/26/17287050/jets-draft-rumor-coaches-pushing-for-josh-allen

I had Allen to the Jets all the way through my mocks based on Darnold going #1. There was a lot of speculation they loved Baker but the Jets were the first team on Allen way back at the start of 2017. I think they expected him to be their Quarterback until it became clear Darnold wasn't going 1st overall.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

If there's one thing we know for sure, it's that Allen wasn't in the Jets top two. In fact, he wasn't even in their top three.

After the draft, Breer put out an EXTREMELY detailed insider access story including quoted texts, day by day summaries, and on and on about the Jets pursuit of a QB. He went back for two years describing the very earliest roots of the Jets process.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/16/new-york-jets-sam-darnold-2018-draft

"When the Jets dealt up to the No. 3 spot in the draft in March, they’d identified three quarterbacks—Darnold, Mayfield, and UCLA’s Josh Rosen—they were good with. This [Darnold, their favorite, falling to #3] was better than that."

AND

"The Jets check back with the Browns, who inform them it would take “an arm and a leg” for New York to move up for the first pick. The Jets don’t call the Giants. Why? The belief is because the two teams are in the same market, the Jets would have to pay a tax for the second pick. Also, keeping their trade pursuit quiet is paramount, to keep others from springing into action and setting off a bidding war. Tipping the Giants off, particularly with their connections to the quarterback-hungry Bills’ front office, would have been risky.

Indeed, this is where relationships are important. Colts GM Chris Ballard and Maccagnan have one. Dodds and Heimerdinger have one. Indy VP Rex Hogan worked for the Jets from 2015 to ’17, with ties to Maccagnan and Heimerdinger. The Jets know they can trust Indy, and they’re willing to pay a little over the point value to get the third pick, in exchange for Indy keeping the talks confidential.

On Thursday, March 15, Dodds passes Heimerdinger off to Ballard, and the deal is done early Saturday. The Jets send their slotted second-rounders for 2018 and ’19, plus the Richardson second-rounder, to Indy to move up from 6 to 3, knowing there are three QBs they’d value there. Maccagnan and Heimerdinger call Johnson for his sign-off. It’s not hard to get."

AND

"APRIL 8, 2018

"The final set of draft meetings is underway, and it’s time for scouts to present their background on players. Three stand out on the Jamal Adams level: Darnold, Mayfield and Barkley. Zach Truty, the national scout, has Mayfield. Shields, the area scout, has Darnold, Allen and Rosen. He’s written up 320 players in the 2018 draft cycle, but spent about 20-25% of his time over the last year on those three.

"The quarterback the Jets believe they won’t get stands out to everyone in the room, along with the quarterback they would wind up never having a shot at.

"The grading scale goes to 9. Truty’s report marks Mayfield a perfect 9—exceedingly uncommon—as a teammate, leader and worker, but has lower grades elsewhere on him. Shields has Darnold in the 8s across the board—in football character, family background, personal character, off-field, work ethic, coachability, accountability, leader by example, vocal leader, physical toughness and mental toughness."

If the Giants had picked Darnold, the Jets were going Rosen, their 3rd choice.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So, first you say, "So it's extremely reasonable to think Beane had Allen graded out as his 2nd QB just behind Darnold (pretty sure he basically said that about as directly as a GM can after the draft)" with no link whatsoever. If he did say that in any way, I never saw it. Where did he say that anywhere, directly or not?

Second, after I said he wasn't likely to be picked in the top two, and challenged Doc to provide a link after the date of the trade where a mock picked Allen in the top two, you provide four links. Thing is, one of your links DOESN'T have him in the top two, the second has him as #1, but admits it's only because of "leaks" out of Cleveland saying they will go Allen, the third is specifically set up as a theoretical "what happens if Allen gets picked first" scenario. He's not predicting that. He's setting up the theoretical and predicting what would happen. And the fourth isn't a mock or a prediction, it's saying he's heard a rumor out of NY that they're interested in Allen and speculating what might happen if that's true.

1) https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-draft-browns-take-sam-darnold-at-no-1-josh-allen-to-jets-and-other-predictions/

LaCanfora's "here are a few things I could see going down," list of "fearless predictions. And LaCanfora isn't a draft expert, he's a reporter with great sources. That's what he's doing here, reacting to sources.

2) https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/josh-allen-thinks-jets-trade-move-no-3-pick-article-1.3885810%3foutputType=amp    

This is Josh Allen's reaction to the Jets tradeup. It calls him one of the "Big Three in this quarterback class (along with Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen)," so it sure isn't on target, but more, it doesn't in any way put Allen in the top two.

3) https://www.theringer.com/2018/4/17/17245210/nfl-mock-draft-4-0-josh-allen-cleveland-browns 

Danny Kelly's mock. I've never heard of him, but I've heard of the Ringer somewhere. But as you yourself quoted him above, he's not putting him there on his idea of talent, he's doing it because he has heard rumors that Cleveland will pick him. He names Peter King saying King has a source close to Dorsey who believed Cleveland will ick Allen, and Breer and Jeremiah and Zierlein all have sources on this. In other words, he's reacting to Dorsey's lies. He says himself, "There's a growing list of reporters and analysts who seem convinced that Cleveland's interest in Allen is genuine. ... It's lying season for sure, and it may just be an elaborate smoke screen, but sometimes all that smoke means there's a fire."

And, you know, sometimes not.

4) https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2018/4/26/17287050/jets-draft-rumor-coaches-pushing-for-josh-allen

This is a Jets board and he admits he has no idea whether it's true and essentially says that if it was true, it would be interesting. Also points out that it will be controversial as Allen is the fan base's "least popular selection by far."

Yeah, you are quite right that Mayfield going first was not the expectation early, or even right as it happened. And I do remember, I think, you thinking that Darnold was Buffalo's #1 pick, amidst the tide of your Allen hatred.

But I have yet to see Beane saying anything about who would have been the Bills first or second choices if no QBs had been picked earlier. I'd love to see what you are taking to mean that Allen was the second, or that Darnold was the first.

The Jets traded with the Colts almost 6 weeks before the draft.  No one knew anyone's firm plans at that time, much less the Browns', who no one knew would take Mayfield...until they did.  They could just as easily have taken Allen (the Bills' 1st choice) and the Jets take Darnold (2nd), leaving them with their 3rd option (Mayfield) at best, and possibly 4th if the Giants took a QB.  And the Giants' interest in Barkley might have been to get the Browns to take him 1st overall and wait until 4th overall to take a QB.  No one knows for sure and even the smallest chance means it still could happen.  And from what I remember reading at the time, the Bills thought they had a deal with the Colts until the Jets swooped-in, which could explain any fury.

13 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Oh geeez I forgot Lamar Jackson. The Bills were furious with Baltimore too

I'd have been furious had the Bills taken Lamar.   He was last on my list. 

IF that picture is accurate Wyoming  #1..  how an anyone still think Blockhead was their first choice?  

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I'd have been furious had the Bills taken Lamar.   He was last on my list. 

IF that picture is accurate Wyoming  #1..  how an anyone still think Blockhead was their first choice?  

The Benjamin Allbright report was enough for me to know that Allen was their number one choice all along. That draft board just cinches it. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

For anyone who cares: in case it wasn't confirmed by someone in the know earlier in this thread, the Bills had Darnold-Allen 1-2 on their board.

the picture stated otherwise as I read it 

Wyoming  Josh

USC  Blockhead

Oklahoma Mayfield

UCLA  Rosen 

OK St  Mason Rudolph

Richmond ..... ????  Kyle Lauletta 

18 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

This was apparently the Bill's leaked QB board before the draft. Take it for what you will, but the Denver trade numbers were correct. It looks like they were planning to trade with Denver if Allen, Darnold or Mayfield was on the board still. 

FWIW: Lamar isnt on the board at all lol

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Wyoming

USC

I believe that was weighted based upon their perceived ability to go get a guy.

But regardless, I'm glad that they did what they did.  And yes, the Denver trade was basically agreed upon already.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I believe that was weighted based upon their perceived ability to go get a guy.

But regardless, I'm glad that they did what they did.  And yes, the Denver trade was basically agreed upon already.

I think if I recall correctly you were one of the only ones on this board at this time last year who had a somewhat positive pre-draft evaluation of Allen

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think if I recall correctly you were one of the only ones on this board at this time last year who had a somewhat positive pre-draft evaluation of Allen

Well, depending upon your view, I took either the coward's way out or was bold as can be, since I said that I'd be happy drafting any of the top 5 QBs in round 1.

My rankings were Rosen/Mayfield as 1A and 1B, followed by Darnold, Allen, and Jackson.

For whatever it's worth, Allen has been exactly what I expected him to be: a big-play QB that often trusts his arm to make throws that shouldn't be made.  He's still got a few minor mechanical issues to clean up, but in general, the ball goes where he wants it to go when he needs it to go there.  His decision-making should come around with time, and he's obviously an athletic guy.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There were a few of us that loved Josh Allen pre-draft as most on this board wanted Josh Rosen (cough-cough) and acted gut shot when they passed on Rosen and took Allen. From what I can recall Metz and Bandit wanted Allen and the former made several posts about Allen and his playing time at Wyoming.

Not many Bills fans wanted Allen pre-draft as they were worried about his accuracy percentage while at Wyoming AND as often as I could I posted that the poor percentage was based on the deeper pro-style passing scheme he was playing in vs the scheme Rosen and others played in with a lot of high percentage dump off passes. Not to mention that Allen was also surrounded by mostly first-year players in his final season at Wyoming. Plus, that he worked with Jordan Palmer in the offseason to improve his footwork and mechanics.  Not many actually listened though. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Wyoming  Josh

USC  Blockhead

Oklahoma Mayfield

UCLA  Rosen 

OK St  Mason Rudolph

Richmond ..... ????  Kyle Lauletta 

That isn't the final board - that is some spitballing on a white board before some of the pre-draft visits. While it give us some indications (and as I, Bandit and others have said Darnold and Allen were their guys - that did not change) it is not a draft board.

18 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

There were a few of us that loved Josh Allen pre-draft as most on this board wanted Josh Rosen (cough-cough) and acted gut shot when they passed on Rosen and took Allen. From what I can recall Metz and Bandit wanted Allen and the former made several posts about Allen and his playing time at Wyoming.

Not many Bills fans wanted Allen pre-draft as they were worried about his accuracy percentage while at Wyoming AND as often as I could I posted that the poor percentage was based on the deeper pro-style passing scheme he was playing in vs the scheme Rosen and others played in with a lot of high percentage dump off passes. Not to mention that Allen was also surrounded by mostly first-year players in his final season at Wyoming. Plus, that he worked with Jordan Palmer in the offseason to improve his footwork and mechanics.  Not many actually listened though. 

I didn't want Allen. But it was not because of completion percentage. It was his tape. I have seen improvements in some of those facets I didn't like in his time in the league, but some of the same issues do still appear on his Bills tape too.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That isn't the final board - that is some spitballing on a white board before some of the pre-draft visits. While it give us some indications (and as I, Bandit and others have said Darnold and Allen were their guys - that did not change) it is not a draft board.

Obviously it wasn't their draft board.   As I saw it  - It was their ranking of QB's 

14 hours ago, cle23 said:

Baker Mayfield doesn't make his teammates better?

I think Baker is an extremely accurate QB who has had the luxury playing with a lot of talent around him. It’s odd that Jarvis Landry just had his worst season since his rookie year.  Has Baker showed any improvement from his time in college to the end of his first year? He’s been the exact same QB  the whole time. 

Edited by BananaB