Report: Bills were 'furious' about Jets' 2018 trade-up for Sam Darnold

HOUSE

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

So while there's no proof, it was pretty likely that Allen wasn't their original first choice. Can never be proved, but the fact that they were furious is a strong indicator, as it wasn't likely (by that point) that Allen would be gone that early.

Actually what proof is missing is the Bills were furious.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It was Darnold and Allen.

If both were gone they'd have gone somewhere else with their first pick and selected Mason Rudolph with their second first rounder (or possibly moving up in the 2nd). 

so Lamar was off their board too ?? Schopp wont be happy :lol:

Was this before the picks were made? I don’t think they are upset with getting Allan instead of Darnold. I know i’m not. I think Allen May be the one QB in last years draft that can make the guys around him better. Just have to wait and see though

9 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Truth is the Bills were going to select a QB #1. Would have been Allen, Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield.

As it turned out, The Football gods were shining on Buffalo.  I am not a Mayfield fan at all. Mark my words, He will take a beating this year.

Like all the 2nd year QBs, he will face his most challenging defense yet when he starts the 2019 season: Film. 

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

Was this before the picks were made? I don’t think they are upset with getting Allan instead of Darnold. I know i’m not. I think Allen May be the one QB in last years draft that can make the guys around him better. Just have to wait and see though

Baker Mayfield doesn't make his teammates better?

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

Possibly they were "furious" at the Colts for dealing with the Jets and not them, and thinking that Allen would be gone in the first 3 picks.

The story that makes the most sense is that they were concerned 1 of Allen/Darnold would be gone first, and then pick #3, the Jets would take the other.

Seems like the Browns gave us a hand by not taking either.

9 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

The story that makes the most sense is that they were concerned 1 of Allen/Darnold would be gone first, and then pick #3, the Jets would take the other.

Seems like the Browns gave us a hand by not taking either.

Basically the same story: Allen being going in the top-3.  And the Giants are the one who gave us a hand by taking Barkley.

9 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Well that depends on if you think the Bills would have been okay with Darnold at 7.  I'd imagine they would.

That didn't even enter into it at the time.  The Browns had the 1st overall and were expected to take a QB.  The Giants refused to budge from 2 and everyone thought they'd also be taking a QB.  So when the Jets (who wanted a QB) traded up to 3, after the Bills probably thought they had a deal with the Colts, the Bills probably thought they would lose-out on Allen, Darnold and Mayfield. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

That didn't even enter into it at the time.  The Browns had the 1st overall and were expected to take a QB.  The Giants refused to budge from 2 and everyone thought they'd also be taking a QB.  So when the Jets (who wanted a QB) traded up to 3, after the Bills probably thought they had a deal with the Colts, the Bills probably thought they would lose-out on Allen, Darnold and Mayfield. 

I think most people "in the know" didn't think the Giants were taking anyone but Saquon at #2.  The league reaction to that pick was far less than the fan reaction.

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

I think most people "in the know" didn't think the Giants were taking anyone but Saquon at #2.  The league reaction to that pick was far less than the fan reaction.

There's so much lying going on that you can't believe anything a team says or does.  And no one knew the Browns were going Mayfield 1st overall.

16 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

But we knew they were going QB.  And they did. 

The Giants, not so much.

Until the pick is made anything is possible. And no one knew that Allen and Darnold wouldn’t be gone within the first 3 picks. 

9 hours ago, gordong said:

I have zero doubt that Allen will be the better QB moving forward..  so Im glad it worked out the way it did. 

Faith is a wonderful thing.

Doesn't work out well even close to all the time, though. Pretty much 100% of people who get married have faith - zero doubt - that the marriage will work out and their partner will never cheat. The real world doesn't always support faith, though.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Until the pick is made anything is possible. And no one knew that Allen and Darnold wouldn’t be gone within the first 3 picks. 

You're right, Doc. Anything is possible, theoretically. I mean, Taron Johnson might theoretically have been the first overall pick.

But just as we for all practical purposes knew that Taron Johnson would not be first later in the process it became clear that Allen was very unlikely to go within the first two QBs.

The Jets trade happened March 19th. QB order had settled down a bit by then. Can you find a mock with Allen in the top three after that date?

Check this reaction to the trade from Burleson and Kay Adams on GMF.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922048/article/jets-trade-for-no-3-pick-shakes-up-first-round-of-2018-nfl-draft

Burleson (talking about the Jets and the trade): It seems like Rosen is the chosen one. Even though they put the $10 mill with McCown, even though they put the $7 million in with Teddy Bridgewater, getting another QB that could be the future could be something that would help get this organization going in the right direction.

Adams:  You're saying it's Rosen, but Rosen could easily go #1 to the Browns, or maybe the Giants are taking a quarterback at #2, maybe they take Rosen, Darnold. Picking at #3 doesn't necessarily mean you get the guy you love. So to me they either like these guys evenly, they like Rosen as much as they like Mayfield as much as they like Darnold."

It's not a coincidence that the only guy they don't mention of the top four is Allen. He wasn't likely to go top two of the QBs.

Edited by Thurman#1