Report: Bills were 'furious' about Jets' 2018 trade-up for Sam Darnold

HOUSE

OP, I think the title of this thread is deceptive. The title implies we were upset they moved ahead to take Darnold, but nothing indicates that. They may have been unhappy the Jets moved where they did, fearing they wanted the same QB we did (Allen) but there is zero indication we were upset that they drafted Darnold.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

I don't trust Pac10 QBs Rodgers is the only one I can think of recently who has had long success, Carson Palmer worked out too but not as well as Aaron. The rest have been Matt Barkley, Sanchize, Leinart, Rosen (jury is out) Mariota (looks like he is going to fizzle out) I'm sure I am missing a few but the Pac10 has been abysmal at sending pro ready qbs in the recent past. I am good with Josh Allen.  As I'm writing this I forgot about Luck he is obviously a franchise guy, and I also forgot about Goff who also seems legit.

blaming a conference is dumb

there have been plenty of great Pac10 QB's. And as of right now Darnold is a little ahead of Allen, as he showed last season. Allen has to step up as a passer in this league and we all know it. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

We were never ahead of the Jets in the draft order. They originally sat at #6. The Bills traded up to #12, and then the Jets traded up to #3 roughly 6+ weeks before the draft (which is extremely unusual). 

The Jets didn’t guarantee that they would get mayfield or Darnold. All they did was guarantee that they get their #3 QB, as at thr time many assumed that Darnold would go #1, and if he didn’t there was a report that the only QB the Giants were interested in was Darnold so it was a popular opinion that he would go #2 to the NYG if he didn’t go #1. 

It was a reckless movd by the Jets GM, in my opinion. He knew his job depended on getting one of the top 3 QBs in that draft. He sold the owner on that plan back at the 2017 draft when they decided to pass on Mahomes+Watson. So he was willing to be more reckless.

I think that the Bills trading to #3 is all a moot point anyway. I don’t think it was possible. It was reported after the Jets trade (by Indy’s GM) that the colts weren’t willing to drop out of the top 10 in the draft. Many assumed it was so they could trade down again on draft day. But that didn’t happen...

The Bills tried to trade up to #6 on draft day after the deal with the Broncos fell apart. Indy wasn’t willing to move back to #12 so they moved on to the Bucs at pick #7. 

Indy clearly targeted Quenton Nelson.

So there’s really no reason to believe that the Bills could make the trade to #3, in my opinion. 

I think Beane did an excellent job playing the hand he was dealt. 

He ended up getting from pick #21 all the way up to pick #7 without giving up a 1st round pick, and he landed the Bills one of the top 3 available QBs in the coveted 2018 QB draft class.

The strong speculation was that Indy liked Nelson and Chubb. Their calculation was that two quarterbacks and Barkley would go inside the top 3 picks. That didn't guarantee them one of Chubb or Nelson but if one of those two was there they were picking them. They were not willing to drop back any further unless they had both gone. 

I think there was a route for the Bills to get to #3 but it probably meant three jumps. So jump 1 from 21 to 12, jump 2 from 12 to 7 and jump 3 from 7 to 3. 

It was much easier for the Jets to get there and they rightly calculated that the Bills would try and keep their powder dry until at least the last few days before the draft so jumped in and secured #3. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

This was apparently the Bill's leaked QB board before the draft. Take it for what you will, but the Denver trade numbers were correct. It looks like they were planning to trade with Denver if Allen, Darnold or Mayfield was on the board still. 

FWIW: Lamar isnt on the board at all lol

Edited by PolishPrince
  • Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Dante said:

I have the same mentality though. I still don't trust Cali QB's Can't get the negative out of my head. Rogers is a great argument against it though. Hard to fight back on that.

Josh Allen - Firebaugh, CA.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

After Buffalo acquired #7 from Cincy I thought it was a brilliant move by the Jets from GM perspective to leap frog the Bills. As great as Beane has been he really screwed the pooch on that one. He didn't believe the Jets would overpay as much draft capital as they did to acquire 3. Wrong! When you're looking to get your franchise QB you should leave nothing to chance. The Jets guaranteed themselves to get Mayfield or Darnold, they didn't leave it to chance. Now if Allen was the intended target all along ( I don't think he was), then all this speculation doesn't matter. 

If they targeted someone other than Allen I can see them being furious because they really killed it trying to build capital to get to 7 and probably had designs to move up from there. 

But there really is no need to rehash any of this. Jets made their move and the Bills made theirs. We got our franchise QB and I look forward to years of epic division battles like those of the 90s. 

Say what now?!

Apparently there is a very BIG need to rehash this, if only to set the facts straight and seperate misguided 'facts and opinions' from what actually happened here on planet earth :)

Edited by gobills1212

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

OP, I think the title of this thread is deceptive. The title implies we were upset they moved ahead to take Darnold, but nothing indicates that. They may have been unhappy the Jets moved where they did, fearing they wanted the same QB we did (Allen) but there is zero indication we were upset that they drafted Darnold.

This times 10000000000

You can tell there are many posters in here literally replying to a thread title and did not read the article.  They are commenting and taking this as if it suggests the Bills were mad they didnt get Darnold which is not at all what this article was about.  

Sadly, this is way too common on TSW where people start arguing based on their incorrect assumption about it a thread solely based on a thread title.  

• Like (+1) 2

People laud the Jets move as this sensational decision to get "their guy" and save the franchise. That's utter bull####. The Jets move (which was an overpay by every standard except whatever one the pro-ny media is using) was trading up 2 months early to sit and wait for one of three guys. They didn't want a specific guy, they were happy taking whatever fell in their lap. It was not crazy to assume that the Bills would jump to #2 (regardless of what Gettlemen said- he's an idiot) and the Jets would be left with third best. They shot their shot and it worked for them because they got the guy that everyone loves. Let's revisit this in 2 years When Gregg Williams is the interim head coach in Jersey, when Adam Gase is a QB genius moving on to his 18th post-manning job where he's done nothing, and Sam Darnold is an interception machine. 

Also, agree with the other posters who rightfully pointed out that this is BS "journalism."

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Bill_with_it said:

There is no way this has any merit. If we wanted him he would be on our team. It’s complete speculative garbage.

As this thread has turned into as well. Im not sure how many more people can essentially explain this indetail and indepth BUT people still want to tell 'their' version?? Even after its been well documented AND a respected board memeber has relayed 'inside info'?? Conspiracy theorists aplenty!!

Yeah, definitely inflammatory title.    Did it worry the Bills?  Yeah, I'm sure that it did.   I believe that they've even admitted that last years draft worried them until they had the QB in hand (They knew they needed a QB).   Not only that, I think it's pretty clear (backed up by the picture) that they were planning on trading with Denver and that it would cost them AT LEAST the #22 pick.  The picture claims 7-22-53 which sounds believable to move to 5.   

OF COURSE they were concerned.  There were a lot of QB needy teams ahead of them and the Jets trade limited their options to get one of the top 3 QBs.  Fortunately, the Giants passed on taking one, IMO an incredibly stupid move.  Also Denver did too, and look how they've struggled.

I did not want Josh Allen, he was off my board.  He scared me that he would be a high draft pick solely because of a monster arm and that he looked the part.  His raw stats scared the bejeesus out of me.    His intangibles started to change my opinion, but it was on field play that convinced me.   I'm all in for Allen.   He makes plays that make me gasp in amazement.  Does he need to improve?  Oh heck yes.  But I think that he can, and I think that he will.  I have a QB that I believe can be great!   #goBills!

FAR too many people in this thread have either ignored or disregarded the Benjamin Albright post stating that Allen was the Bills' target from wire to wire last year.

I believe Albright. He was insistent all last draft season that Allen was the guy from day 1. The picture of the leaked white board backed this up. Also, how did I miss this white board last offseason? I obsessively read about the Bills and their QB quest every single day, but I somehow missed this.

ALSO...why do people actively try to sabotage the team for which they work? Why would this moron post this picture? What does he have to gain? I hope he, and others like him, were found and fired. What a goon.

2 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

This was apparently the Bill's leaked QB board before the draft. Take it for what you will, but the Denver trade numbers were correct. It looks like they were planning to trade with Denver if Allen, Darnold or Mayfield was on the board still. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PolishPrince said:

FWIW: Lamar isnt on the board at all lol

This looks legit in terms of everything I thought except that it looks like as of 4/6 they had Baker in the tier they would trade to 5 for if he was there. I didn’t think they liked him but it shows he had his visit on 4/9 - maybe things changed after that. The trade though - gah! Thank God that didn’t go down. 

23 minutes ago, Logic said:

FAR too many people in this thread have either ignored or disregarded the Benjamin Albright post stating that Allen was the Bills' target from wire to wire last year.

I believe Albright. He was insistent all last draft season that Allen was the guy from day 1. The picture of the leaked white board baked this up. Also, how did I miss this white board last offseason? I obsessively read about the Bills and their QB quest every single day, but I somehow missed this.

ALSO...why do people actively try to sabotage the team for which they work? Why would this moron post this picture? What does he have to gain? I hope he, and others like him, were found and fired. What a goon.

Interesting. It apears they had Rudolph above the Louisville guy.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The trade though - gah! Thank God that didn’t go down. 

It really was amazing and bizarre and awesome the way the Bills strategically acquired an extra 1st round pick with the specific purpose of using it as a trade-up tool to acquire their franchise QB in the '18 draft....and then didn't even have to use said pick to trade up. As bummed as I was that the Bills lost two 2nd round picks in the trade-up, the fact that they were able to get Josh Allen AND Tremaine Edmunds AND still have a "normal" draft (in terms of number of players selected), AND not mortgage their future, was awesome.

If Allen and Edmunds reach their massive potential, it will go down as the greatest draft (or at least one of them) in Bills history.

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

Interesting. It apears they had Rudolph above the Louisville guy.

Indeed. I don't even see Jackson anywhere on the board. 

I suspected they weren't interested in him based on the speed with which Beane shipped Tyrod out of town when he had the chance. If you're targeting Jackson, you keep Tyrod. I figured they just weren't interested in what Jackson brought to the table. Looks like that was the case.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This looks legit in terms of everything I thought except that it looks like as of 4/6 they had Baker in the tier they would trade to 5 for if he was there. I didn’t think they liked him but it shows he had his visit on 4/9 - maybe things changed after that. The trade though - gah! Thank God that didn’t go down. 

Also shows us that Rosen was the 4th choice! But not worthy of a trade up.

Looks like they got their #1 and didn't have to move to 5. McBeane were playing high stake poker and must've been sweating bullets that night

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

People still blame Allen for that clay drop too. Like the guy wasnt just running around for his life because his offensive line is pure trash. He got it in the vicinity to make it a very catchable ball. Clay should have caught it. It honestly reminded me of Wyoming at many times last year, where Allen would take the snap and be under immediate pressure. 

That was 100% on Clay. The ball hit him in the hands. He stepped into the throw and tripped over his own feet in the process and he dropped the ball. 

I get it that stats are used for player assessment but you still need to look into those stats further. The fact that the Bills WR were tied with AZ for second most drops at the 1/2 way point of the season speaks volumes. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1