Report: Bills were 'furious' about Jets' 2018 trade-up for Sam Darnold

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

The biggest loser? In my book it’s the New Jersey Football Giants, who still need a QB. 

This. Darnold I think was most likely graded higher than Allen (how could he not?) but Sam should be a Giant right now. Saquon is a freak, but will get a lot of wear on the tires against 8-man boxes and no OBJ. 

• Like (+1) 1

Oh this is fun!

I'm sure we'll be revisiting this topic for years to come. As of this moment, I'm happy with Allen. He was the right choice for Buffalo. It's still early but I'm optimistic he can take us to the promise land.

5 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

Yeah, the more I thought about it the more I thought about deleting it but I had already put in so much work! 

I have the same mentality though. I still don't trust Cali QB's Can't get the negative out of my head. Rogers is a great argument against it though. Hard to fight back on that.

5 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

I don't trust Pac10 QBs Rodgers is the only one I can think of recently who has had long success, Carson Palmer worked out too but not as well as Aaron. The rest have been Matt Barkley, Sanchize, Leinart, Rosen (jury is out) Mariota (looks like he is going to fizzle out) I'm sure I am missing a few but the Pac10 has been abysmal at sending pro ready qbs in the recent past. I am good with Josh Allen.  As I'm writing this I forgot about Luck he is obviously a franchise guy, and I also forgot about Goff who also seems legit.

You  could add Jim Plunkett, Dan Fouts, Troy Aikman and Drew Bledsoe.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ben Allbright replied to that tweet yesterday with the Billswire article and said the reason they were furious had to do with their perceived ability to still get Allen, not Darnold (I cant get these tweets to embed for some reason). Allbright was in on the Bills interest in Allen the entire pre-draft period. 

https://twitter.com/allbrightnfl/status/1107730433377214465?s=21

@allbrightNFL

They were furious, but that was because they thought it would cost them Allen, who was their guy wire to wire.

https://twitter.com/salsports/status/1107811882788888581?s=21

@salsports

I asked Beane specifically about the Jets trade just two weeks after it happened while at the NFL owners meetings.  You can watch/listen to his answer here ( :55 mark):

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/beane-our-focus-is-on-building-the-roster-20489992

Yeah, at the time I can see them being furious. But at the draft it worked out in their favor.

Darnold and Mayfield were the ones I wanted, but I’m currently happy that Allen is the guy in Buffalo.

5 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

After Buffalo acquired #7 from Cincy I thought it was a brilliant move by the Jets from GM perspective to leap frog the Bills. As great as Beane has been he really screwed the pooch on that one. He didn't believe the Jets would overpay as much draft capital as they did to acquire 3. Wrong! When you're looking to get your franchise QB you should leave nothing to chance. The Jets guaranteed themselves to get Mayfield or Darnold, they didn't leave it to chance. Now if Allen was the intended target all along ( I don't think he was), then all this speculation doesn't matter. 

If they targeted someone other than Allen I can see them being furious because they really killed it trying to build capital to get to 7 and probably had designs to move up from there. 

But there really is no need to rehash any of this. Jets made their move and the Bills made theirs. We got our franchise QB and I look forward to years of epic division battles like those of the 90s. 

We were never ahead of the Jets in the draft order. They originally sat at #6. The Bills traded up to #12, and then the Jets traded up to #3 roughly 6+ weeks before the draft (which is extremely unusual). 

The Jets didn’t guarantee that they would get mayfield or Darnold. All they did was guarantee that they get their #3 QB, as at thr time many assumed that Darnold would go #1, and if he didn’t there was a report that the only QB the Giants were interested in was Darnold so it was a popular opinion that he would go #2 to the NYG if he didn’t go #1. 

It was a reckless movd by the Jets GM, in my opinion. He knew his job depended on getting one of the top 3 QBs in that draft. He sold the owner on that plan back at the 2017 draft when they decided to pass on Mahomes+Watson. So he was willing to be more reckless.

I think that the Bills trading to #3 is all a moot point anyway. I don’t think it was possible. It was reported after the Jets trade (by Indy’s GM) that the colts weren’t willing to drop out of the top 10 in the draft. Many assumed it was so they could trade down again on draft day. But that didn’t happen...

The Bills tried to trade up to #6 on draft day after the deal with the Broncos fell apart. Indy wasn’t willing to move back to #12 so they moved on to the Bucs at pick #7. 

Indy clearly targeted Quenton Nelson.

So there’s really no reason to believe that the Bills could make the trade to #3, in my opinion. 

I think Beane did an excellent job playing the hand he was dealt. 

He ended up getting from pick #21 all the way up to pick #7 without giving up a 1st round pick, and he landed the Bills one of the top 3 available QBs in the coveted 2018 QB draft class.

Edited by BillsFan4