Report: Bills were 'furious' about Jets' 2018 trade-up for Sam Darnold

IMO Beane thought he could put a better offer up than the Jets and thought the Colts would play it out a bit longer.  They took the Jets offer 5 weeks before the draft. It locked the potential moves up to 1 spot (#2) and put the Giants into a commanding position on the price.

There wasn't much point in trading to 4, the Browns weren't taking QB there and it was after the Jets pick anyway.  We had a deal in place with Denver at 5 but it was canceled when Chubb fell there.  I think the Colts targeted Nelson from the beginning.  Then we went to 7.  I still believe Darnold was our #1 guy, but I think it was a 1A vs 1B situation on Darnold / Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Worked out for us

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Weird article.  Bottom line -- we'll never really know (until perhaps many years from now) if the Bills really wanted Darnold over Allen.  I think they're pretty happy with where things are now, however.

damn straight 

2 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I would hope most of any OBD being furious was because they never had a shot at Mayfield. The gap between him is much larger than that between Darnold and Allen (and that’s not saying either is clearly ahead of the other).

I agree, I wanted Mayfield from that draft even if we needed to make a RG3 type of trade to get the number 1 pick. Allen was my second choice because he has all the tools but just needed some coaching to fix some things. Darnold was 3rd to me but it was very close between Darnold and Allen. Those three guys were the only QB's that I thought should get picked in the 1st rd of the draft. At present I still have them rated 1. Mayfield 2. Allen 3. Darnold.

• Like (+1) 1

It's funny how something that looks terrible for a team at the time (the Jets trade) works out well for the Bills.  We paid less to get Allen, who has a much higher ceiling, we also got a top MLB in the draft, and have 10 picks this year.   I wonder if the NJ Jets are furious now!!!

If the Bills were mad at the trade, it doesn't necessarily follow they were mad that the Jets drafted Darnold.  Maybe the feared the Jets would ***** Allen!  I think Beane had indicated they thought they might have to trade higher than they did to get Allen.  In the end, I think they were pretty pleased with the way the first round fell.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

great first post!

welcome to the board papa. new to tbd. looking forward to your future insight here.

Yes, but we’ll have ‘Papa g’ weeping, wailing, and gnashing his teeth in no time...just like the rest of us.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was reported that they tried repeatedly to get to 2 and NYG would not deal the pick. 

It was a stalemate.  Giants wanted Barkley and weren't moving out of 2 because the Browns would take him at 4.  Wasn't much point in paying the Browns price to move to 4 to get the 3rd QB off the board and the Browns were flush with picks anyway, that would have to be a quality over quantity move.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Oddly enough  I like him better so far  in the nfl than I did in college 

the Blockhead?   I loved his first NFL pass being a Pick 6.     NFL History !!!! 

Remember the knock on Sam Darnold coming out of USC? Turnovers. Too many of them.

Darnold became the youngest opening day quarterback in NFL history, and his introduction to the NFL was rough.

https://sports.yahoo.com/wyd-sam-darnolds-first-career-pass-pick-six-lions-232905145.html

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

the Blockhead?   I loved his first NFL pass being a Pick 6.     NFL History !!!! 

https://sports.yahoo.com/wyd-sam-darnolds-first-career-pass-pick-six-lions-232905145.html

The games i watched him play his last year at usc made me cringe. Just thought he was super raw. I never saw much of Allen in college so can’t compare.,

• Like (+1) 1