Report: Bills were 'furious' about Jets' 2018 trade-up for Sam Darnold

HOUSE

14 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Also the jets traded up to 3 a week before the draft. Both trades by the Bills were draft day trades. 

NYJs GM didn't do anything special to "jump" the Bills after the bills moved up. 

Both teams were drafting what they believed to be their future franchise QB. Regardless of when the trades were made the Jets ensured themselves of getting one of the two they valued most. Maybe the move wasn't "special" but it was definitely proactive. 

Acquiring a first rounder from KC.

The trade up with Cincinnati for Glenn.

All this was done to get their QB of choice in 2018. Everyone knew this, including the Jets. They made the deal the Bills wouldn't. Beane kept his capital and acquired some nice talent but if he coveted Mayfield or Darnold that ship had sailed.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It didn’t “cost much” for the Jets because they were at 6 and only had to move up 3 spots, giving the Colts a pick still in the top 10 which is what they said they needed. What do you think it would have cost the Bills to move up from 12? A LOT more. 

Totally!  It would have cost a lot to move up and in the end the Bills gut the guy they say they wanted and held on to most of their draft capital. I was saying it didn't cost the Jets much to do it.  Moving from 6 to 3 I believe it was three 2nds.  

1 hour ago, Jobot said:

Seriously.  Did they want Darnold, or were they pissed that NY established the draft trade market so expensive?

Truth is the Bills were going to select a QB #1. Would have been Allen, Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield.

As it turned out, The Football gods were shining on Buffalo.  I am not a Mayfield fan at all. Mark my words, He will take a beating this year.

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Didn't McDermott and beane say many times after the draft that they got the qb they wanted all along? Maybe they're full of it, but I tend to believe them. 

That could probably still be true.  Maybe they were upset because they thought the Jets could take Allen?  I’d have to assume if they were that much more in love with Darnold than Allen, they could’ve made the move to 2 to ensure they got him.  

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The facts are important. The point being at the stage the Jets made the trade they didn't need to leapfrog the Bills. Indeed they wouldn't have needed to even if the Bills had got #7 from Cincy - because the Jets were at #6. I don't know what the Jets board looked like I don't know whether the trade was necessary to acquire their guy or one of their guys.... it was, to my mind at least, a defensive trade up. The Giants had already pretty much ruled out trading back unless the bounty was huge because they wanted Saquon. So #3 was the landing spot that secured them ahead of the Bills. As to whether it was necessary I don't know. 

Thats true Gunner but the Bills were already rumored to jump the Jets via a Colts trade up. I'm just saying from a GM perspective the Jets didn't leave their QB hopes to chance and felt that deserved a little kudos. 

58 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I always felt that but I guess we'll never really know with so many conflicting reports/opinions.

we have allen, all that matters to me.

58 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

No offense,  but how would you know this?

Benjamin Allbright was saying the Bills wanted Allen well before the draft last year.  I pooh-poohed it and thought there was no way they wanted Allen, but that's who they got.  And he's still saying it.  I have heard no one else saying the Bills wanted Darnold all along, just people speculating.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, billsfan5121 said:

That could probably still be true.  Maybe they were upset because they thought the Jets could take Allen?  I’d have to assume if they were that much more in love with Darnold than Allen, they could’ve made the move to 2 to ensure they got him.  

It was reported that they tried repeatedly to get to 2 and NYG would not deal the pick. 

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Need more context for why were the Bills furious. Who on the Buffalo staff was furious? Did the Bills try to trade with the Colts already? I don’t think IF someone was furious it was because they wanted Darnold. I believe the Bills had Darnold and Allen ranked pretty equally, albeit for different reasons. This article doesn’t state, nor should it, that the Bills were furious because they wanted Darnold.

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

This might be the dumbest thing ever.

I think the Bills knew that the Jets wanted to trade up and the Bills were mad because of it?

Yeah ok. I don't buy it for one second.

Yeah, or the word "furious" is...is just kind of dumb in this context.

Unless the Bills had a deal for the Colts pick and then were screwed out of it (which also is unlikely) I don't see how you can be furious at another team making a move that team needed to make and you didn't.

• Like (+1) 1

That article title is wrong, and this thread title is wrong, and it's misleading.  It gives the impression that the Bills wanted Sam Darnold, for which their is no proof.

The Jets did not trade up for Sam Darnold.  They traded up to be in a position to pick one of the top 3 QBs on their board.  The Giants very easily could have taken Darnold.  The Jets would have needed to trade to #1 to claim they traded for Darnold.

• Like (+1) 1

Weird article.  Bottom line -- we'll never really know (until perhaps many years from now) if the Bills really wanted Darnold over Allen.  I think they're pretty happy with where things are now, however.

• Thank you (+1) 1