Report: Bills were 'furious' about Jets' 2018 trade-up for Sam Darnold

21 minutes ago, PIZ said:

If I remember correctly, there were hints from Beane that he was upset with Indy.  I think Beane may have had a trade in place with Indy, but Indy reneged.  That was just speculation.  However, in hindsight, I bet Beane is happy it worked out that way.  Josh Allen is the right QB for the Buffalo Bills.

Yeah I agree and they may have very well pissed at the price the jets paid to move up knowing it would drive our cost up to move up. Just a thought, either way I’m glad we got our Josh!

After Buffalo acquired #7 from Cincy I thought it was a brilliant move by the Jets from GM perspective to leap frog the Bills. As great as Beane has been he really screwed the pooch on that one. He didn't believe the Jets would overpay as much draft capital as they did to acquire 3. Wrong! When you're looking to get your franchise QB you should leave nothing to chance. The Jets guaranteed themselves to get Mayfield or Darnold, they didn't leave it to chance. Now if Allen was the intended target all along ( I don't think he was), then all this speculation doesn't matter. 

If they targeted someone other than Allen I can see them being furious because they really killed it trying to build capital to get to 7 and probably had designs to move up from there. 

But there really is no need to rehash any of this. Jets made their move and the Bills made theirs. We got our franchise QB and I look forward to years of epic division battles like those of the 90s. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Need more context for why were the Bills furious. Who on the Buffalo staff was furious? Did the Bills try to trade with the Colts already? I don’t think IF someone was furious it was because they wanted Darnold. I believe the Bills had Darnold and Allen ranked pretty equally, albeit for different reasons. This article doesn’t state, nor should it, that the Bills were furious because they wanted Darnold.

Come on ATL, that’s asking too much for the media these days. Just putting words together is a success for them these days. 

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I think most fans were pretty upset that day...the Jets pulled off the trade the Bills were supposed to make....hopefully Allen will be just as good- if not better.

your post suggests they wanted darnold over allen?

the article does not say anything about them wanting darnold over allen. what I get from the article was the jets messed the plan of positioning up with their move but as the article says:

Here’s the thing: Buffalo, supposedly “furious” by this deal, still landed a marquee quarterback, even though he did not play for a big-name college program. And, they definitely did not panic.

Thus, the Bills made their move for Josh Allen. While some reports dangled Allen as the first overall pick in the draft, it was not meant to be.

It was apparent that Allen was the No. 1 quarterback on the Bills’ radar.

So far, it’s going according to plan for Buffalo and Allen.

very misleading title and article.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

After Buffalo acquired #7 from Cincy I thought it was a brilliant move by the Jets from GM perspective to leap frog the Bills. As great as Beane has been he really screwed the pooch on that one. He didn't believe the Jets would overpay as much draft capital as they did to acquire 3. Wrong! When you're looking to get your franchise QB you should leave nothing to chance. The Jets guaranteed themselves to get Mayfield or Darnold, they didn't leave it to chance. Now if Allen was the intended target all along ( I don't think he was), then all this speculation doesn't matter. 

If they targeted someone other than Allen I can see them being furious because they really killed it trying to build capital to get to 7 and probably had designs to move up from there. 

But there really is no need to rehash any of this. Jets made their move and the Bills made theirs. We got our franchise QB and I look forward to years of epic division battles like those of the 90s. 

The Bills did not get #7 from the Bengals. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

The New York Jets made a franchise-defining move last year on St. Patrick’s Day. General manager Mike Maccagnan sent three second-round picks (two in 2018 and one in 2019) along with New York’s 2018 first-round pick to the Indianapolis Colts for the third-overall pick in last year’s draft.

As history would have it, the Jets selected USC quarterback Sam Darnold, who was the No. 1 target for New York entering the draft period, according to ESPN.

The aggressive move by Maccagnan essentially placed several quarterback-needy teams, including the Buffalo Bills, in panic mode to scramble and position themselves in a good spot to land one of the top-tier quarterbacks on their big boards. After all, there’s only a finite number of NFL-caliber quarterbacks in college.

In reviewing the trade a year later, ESPN highlighted that the Bills were not too happy with this move the Jets. Per the report, the Bills were “furious” about the move:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/18/buffalo-bills-furious-new-york-jets-2018-trade-nfl-draft-sam-darnold-josh-allen/

I read this the other day.  Its a year old story.  

IMHO  We got the better QB and I am glad it happened.  

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

your post suggests they wanted darnold over allen?

the article does not say anything about them wanting darnold over allen. what I get from the article was the jets messed the plan of positioning up with their move but as the article says:

Here’s the thing: Buffalo, supposedly “furious” by this deal, still landed a marquee quarterback, even though he did not play for a big-name college program. And, they definitely did not panic.

Thus, the Bills made their move for Josh Allen. While some reports dangled Allen as the first overall pick in the draft, it was not meant to be.

It was apparent that Allen was the No. 1 quarterback on the Bills’ radar.

So far, it’s going according to plan for Buffalo and Allen.

Whether the Bills had Allen or Darnold #1 I don't know. But they were their two guys. At the point the Jets made a trade to get to #3 there was a risk the Bills would miss out on both. 

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

It really makes you wonder whether Allen truly was their #1 target from the start...or whether he was their #1 target when it appeared that Mayfield it Darnold would be off the board.  

No it doesn't, there is no point wondering at all. It's irrelevant now.

52 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

Maybe he was furious about the market the jests set with the trade up

This is exactly what I was going to type here. The Jets move was a pretty big overpay to move just a few spots. When teams overpay like that it really skews the market. 

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

The New York Jets made a franchise-defining move last year on St. Patrick’s Day. General manager Mike Maccagnan sent three second-round picks (two in 2018 and one in 2019) along with New York’s 2018 first-round pick to the Indianapolis Colts for the third-overall pick in last year’s draft.

As history would have it, the Jets selected USC quarterback Sam Darnold, who was the No. 1 target for New York entering the draft period, according to ESPN.

The aggressive move by Maccagnan essentially placed several quarterback-needy teams, including the Buffalo Bills, in panic mode to scramble and position themselves in a good spot to land one of the top-tier quarterbacks on their big boards. After all, there’s only a finite number of NFL-caliber quarterbacks in college.

In reviewing the trade a year later, ESPN highlighted that the Bills were not too happy with this move the Jets. Per the report, the Bills were “furious” about the move:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/18/buffalo-bills-furious-new-york-jets-2018-trade-nfl-draft-sam-darnold-josh-allen/

Heck most of us knew that... that's why all last year, it was hard for them to sale me that Allen was they're pick all along! 

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills did not get #7 from the Bengals. 

Forgive me for forgetting TB in the equation. Was my spelling ok at least? Any opinions on the post or were you just fact checking?

Edited by billsbackto81

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Whether the Bills had Allen or Darnold #1 I don't know. But they were their two guys. At the point the Jets made a trade to get to #3 there was a risk the Bills would miss out on both. 

it also came down to either josh. I just don't believe they were as high on darnold as some may of thought?

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2018/04/2018_nfl_draft_brandon_beane_says_josh_allen_wasnt_the_buffalo_bills_only_choice.html

What we know for certain is the Bills valued Allen higher than UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen, who went No. 10 to the Cardinals. If the Bills would have been thrilled with either one, there would have been no need to give up two second-round picks to move up and get Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Forgive me for forgetting TB in the equation. Was my spelling ok at least? Any opinions on the post or were you just fact checking?

The facts are important. The point being at the stage the Jets made the trade they didn't need to leapfrog the Bills. Indeed they wouldn't have needed to even if the Bills had got #7 from Cincy - because the Jets were at #6. I don't know what the Jets board looked like I don't know whether the trade was necessary to acquire their guy or one of their guys.... it was, to my mind at least, a defensive trade up. The Giants had already pretty much ruled out trading back unless the bounty was huge because they wanted Saquon. So #3 was the landing spot that secured them ahead of the Bills. As to whether it was necessary I don't know. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

it also came down to either josh. I just don't believe they were as high on darnold as some may of thought?

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2018/04/2018_nfl_draft_brandon_beane_says_josh_allen_wasnt_the_buffalo_bills_only_choice.html

What we know for certain is the Bills valued Allen higher than UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen, who went No. 10 to the Cardinals. If the Bills would have been thrilled with either one, there would have been no need to give up two second-round picks to move up and get Allen.

It may just be my opinion from paying close attention but I think they wanted Darnold or Allen and not mayfield or Rosen. I don’t think they ever thought they had a chance at Darnold based on where they were drafting and he was long rumored to he going #1. They were rumored to have tried like hell to get to 2. If you recall they took a somewhat last minute trip out to Cali to meet with Darnild and put him through a workout. I believe this was when they found out the Browns weren’t sold on him at 1 and that he might end up being available. I have no idea who they had ranked higher, it could have been Darnold,  but if they were mad that the Jets got to 3 I think it was because they had 2 guys on their board and they could have both been gone by the time they picked. they tried to get to 2 before the draft and then to 5 on draft day.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Rosen wasn't on their board. Nor was Mayfield. The Bills were all in on Allen or Darnold and if they didn't come away with one of them they'd have taken Mason Rudolph later. 

• Like (+1) 3

I'm always skeptical about "reports" like this. 

It doesn't give any kind of source or even suggest who may have supplied them the idea that Buffalo was furious.  Sure the Bills fans were upset, but our front office always seemed in control of the situation.  Where did the writer get this from?

Personally, I recall the ABSOLUTE PANIC AND DESPERATION on this message board after the Jets trade.

At the time, most people believed the Giants were taking a QB at #2, and that Denver was certainly a possibility at #5.  That meant the top 3 quarterbacks were certain to be gone in the first 3 picks, and we needed to swing a deal to get to the #4 immediately.  No waiting for Draft Day to see who was left on the board.  People wanted Beane to trade everything to get up there NOW.

Besides... Even if this report is true, it certainly isn't a knock on Josh Allen.  Speculation about how the QBs were ranked was all over the place, so the Bills would have been justified worrying about getting their guy outside of the Top 3.

The media seemed to like Sam Darnold the most, with Josh Rosen a close second.  But this was not an accurate representation of the teams.  Reports circulated a few weeks before the draft that Cleveland was debating between Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen at #1.  People were laughing at the Browns at the time, but nobody is laughing now.  The Giants were going to have Darnold/Rosen fall in their lap, but they chose a running back instead.  New York reports were saying the Jets wanted Allen the most.  But those turned out to be fake, because they ultimately chose Darnold before him.  There were many reports that Denver loved Allen too.  But of course, they didn't pick a QB at all.  The majority of our own fans seemed to want Rosen more (wrong Josh)... but reports later circulated that Arizona was disappointed when we picked Allen and left them with Rosen.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Need more context for why were the Bills furious. Who on the Buffalo staff was furious? Did the Bills try to trade with the Colts already? I don’t think IF someone was furious it was because they wanted Darnold. I believe the Bills had Darnold and Allen ranked pretty equally, albeit for different reasons. This article doesn’t state, nor should it, that the Bills were furious because they wanted Darnold.

Correct, but by that time, it was becoming apparent that Allen was probably not one of the top two. Darnold was. There were some questions about whether Rosen or Mayfield would be the other of the first two.

So while there's no proof, it was pretty likely that Allen wasn't their original first choice. Can never be proved, but the fact that they were furious is a strong indicator, as it wasn't likely (by that point) that Allen would be gone that early.

Things seem to have worked out OK, so far at least.