Devin White - Luke Keuchly, Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis

17 hours ago, MJS said:

Viscous? Not sure if I can get behind that. Reminds me of molasses.

associated with fluid density. so you are correct.
but with all no OP meant

vicious. brutal, relentless effort,  to be feared

7 hours ago, FLFan said:

Obviously, he does not know as much as message board posters.  

McD would like all the players to be able to play MLB mentally.
No reason not to take better advantage of Edmunds outside.  if they can find someone equal or better who can play the A B gaps well. Edmunds has that sneaky speed to cover yard quickly. but he might play better read and react than hit the right hole. and a stack and shed type of role

7 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He'd be a great player, but its a waste of a pick.  

We already have 2 starting LBs, and the Bills (and the NFL) only play 2 linebackers at a time.  There is just no need to draft a 3rd that high up. 

I'm guessing that Milano, Edmunds, and White would likely all stay on the field for any nickel or big nickel packages. Lotulelei would be the guy switched out for a third cornerback or safety. Edmunds would be the fourth pass rusher and could even be positioned right up to the line of scrimmage as a DE. This is basically what Lorenzo Alexander does, so Edmunds would be considered his successor if the Bills drafted White.

But the bottom line is that Devin White is a blue-chip prospect and the best player in this draft who doesn't play DL. He won't be available at #9, but Beane is not a dummy and will select him if he does manage to drop that far. White should be #4 on Buffalo's big board, right behind Nick Bosa, Josh Allen, and Quinnen Williams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

I'm guessing that Milano, Edmunds, and White would likely all stay on the field for any nickel or big nickel packages. Lotulelei would be the guy switched out for a third cornerback or safety. Edmunds would be the fourth pass rusher and could even be positioned right up to the line of scrimmage as a DE. This is basically what Lorenzo Alexander does, so Edmunds would be considered his successor if the Bills drafted White.

But the bottom line is that Devin White is a blue-chip prospect and the best player in this draft who doesn't play DL. He won't be available at #9, but Beane is not a dummy and will select him if he does manage to drop that far. White should be #4 on Buffalo's big board, right behind Nick Bosa, Josh Allen, and Quinnen Williams.

Why do people think he would be a good pass rusher? 

21 hours ago, R Y G A R said:

Here is a pretty good rundown of White in this video. I didn't realize he's was recruited as a RB. I also didn't realize he's that raw of a prospect. Undeniable talent though, I'd be good with him at 9.

Who did that review? That was a pretty impressive break down.

22 hours ago, R Y G A R said:

Here is a pretty good rundown of White in this video. I didn't realize he's was recruited as a RB. I also didn't realize he's that raw of a prospect. Undeniable talent though, I'd be good with him at 9.

Super intriguing, but I think he'd be a bad fit for us. I think he needs the luxury of learning behind great linebackers and with great coaches as a situational player for a couple years. We already drafted a raw LB prospect last year, and he isn't exactly knocking it out of the park yet. I think it would be critical to know what his character and film room habits are like in addition to overall intelligence. It seems he's got a long way to go.

3 hours ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

Couldn’t say it better myself... perfect. 

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

That is an aggressively condescending response to me asking a simple question. 

Not really. It’s straight forward, but not aggressively condescending... unless we are talking about snow flake micro-aggressions. 

So the people saying that the Bills and the NFL have been moving to two LBs in a nickel formation, and so we don't need a third really good LB seem to be missing something.  The reason for the change towards nickel is that more athletic people who are able to cover are needed in order to stop pass heavy teams that regularly go in 3 WR sets.  But here's the thing: the Bills run a lot of zone defense.  And if you have three very athletic LBs that do really well in coverage, then you don't NEED to play nickel.  You can stay in your base 4-3 even when teams go to 3 WR sets.  Then you have the flexibility to still be able to defend the pass, but also are better able to defend against the run than if you had taken a LB off the field.  So if we had Edmunds, White, and Milano, we wouldn't NEED to take any of those three off the field for nickel situations.  There's not a whole lot of reason to ever take any of those three off the field in that case.

If White somehow miraculously lasts until us in the draft, we should absolutely run to the podium to draft him, put his locket next to the Lorax's, have him attached to the hip to the Lorax through training camp and practice, learning everything he can from him, and use the Lorax in more pass rush situations, instead of needing him to come in and play in coverage like he occasionally had to do last year.  It would result in a phenomenal defense that was able to fly all over the field, stuff the run, that would inspire fear in offenses for a decade or more.  

I just had another thought.  What about dime formations, for when there are 4 WRs on the field?  At least in 3rd and long situations, I can easily imagine having Lorenzo Alexander and Lawson as DTs, Hughes and Edmunds as DEs, Milano and White as LBs, and three CBs on the field.  That's scary enough in a "get after the passer" way, but considering that the offense would never know who's ACTUALLY rushing, as pretty much all of those LBs can rush and the D-linemen can drop into coverage, the front six is virtually interchangeable, and you can create a pass rush from anywhere.  And that doesn't even consider blitzes.  That would be a scary defense.

On 3/19/2019 at 1:50 AM, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

I loved the Edmunds pick, but I think anyone with a hint understanding of what it takes to man the middle knows that there are naturally instinctive players who can do the job as second nature. They can read everything around them, diagnose it, and take the best angle before anyone else has even moved. This is why Mosley got paid so much, and Devin can run circles around him. Growing a great athlete into a position is great, but I’m not sure the MLB position is right for Edmunds... Devin White is the next Keuchly, and it could be a terrible mistake to pass on him if he’s available. 

It is possible that White is even less instinctive than Edmunds, but in college he was able to cover for it with his incredible speed and athleticism. 

As as the video review Rygar attached  pointed out, he would need the right coaches and locker room to reach his true potential.  I truly believe McDermott and Buffalo is one of those teams. That being said, White seems like a “project” with a VERY high ceiling, but sort of a luxury pick if he is there at #9

On 3/19/2019 at 2:03 AM, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Tremaine's natural position is OLB, Devin White would be the more natural fit at ILB but it's doubtful he makes it to us, I see the Raiders all over this guy to man that LB core. 

Really? I don't think they value great LB's they got rid of the best player in the game that can not only play EVERY LB spot... but also can put his hand in the dirt. The Raiders might take a OG or not a tackle a guard or a Tightend that high. Maybe a kicker cause Gruden values points 

11 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

That is an aggressively condescending response to me asking a simple question. 

You must be kinda new here. And yes, I know what condescending means. No offense.

Edited by Dopey

41 minutes ago, Dopey said:

You must be kinda new here. And yes, I know what condescending means. No offense.

I'm not new, and I know how confrontational people can be on this board.  My point is only, why be confrontation/sarcastic/rude to a simple question?  Have we really fallen that far?  That a harmless question is now an attack?