Devin White - Luke Keuchly, Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Viscous? Not sure if I can get behind that. Reminds me of molasses.

I tell you what, I watch a lot of college football.  They were always talking him up.  While watching him I kind of thought the same thing.  Why is this guy getting so much love?  He seems slow for some reason to me.  Now, everyone is praising him, he has great measureables, etc., and I'm thinking, wow I guess I was wrong.  Glad I'm not the only one who sees this.  Or maybe you are just poking at the OP for misuse of the word I guess.  But that was my impression of him anyway for some reason. 

Edited by Mark80

I'm glad the OP posted this.   I've thought White would be the BPA when we pick for a while.

If he is there at 9, there are only two options:

(1) Draft White.   For the, "why move Edmunds outside" crowd, Edmunds is 20 years old, he can learn OLB.  Lorax is gone after this season.  Edmunds, Milano, and White=set at LB for a decade.   You know what teams historically have good LB's: Ravens, Steelers, and even the Pats**   Perennial playoff teams.  A TE/DL could be taken later in the draft.  We get the best LB in the draft, and still have 9 picks.  We have enough to trade back into the 1st round and get whoever we want.  (Hock/Simmons, etc.).   

(2) Trade down.  If White is there, these teams would be interested: Cincy, Green Bay, Steelers, and Ravens.  We could get quite the bounty trading to the Steelers/Ravens spot.  And likely one of the top TE's or Simmons is available there.  We would likely also pickup another 2nd round pick, enabling an OT and DL.  Then go WR in 3rd. 

If White is there at 9, we win. 

Edited by RyanC883

We already got our Luke Kuechly. He goes by the predator. 

Seriously though, I don’t see spending a high pick on a linebacker that would lead to either a first round pick, or one of our best players from last year (Milano) only seeing the field about 60% of the time. If they didn’t like Edmunds at MLB they wouldn’t have put him there last year. Off ball Linebackers aren’t worth that much these days, no matter what the Jets say. If they were really wanting to mess with the LB core they could get a late round thumper like TJ Edwards or Khalil Hodge and put him in the middle for base packages, then do Matt and Tre for sub packages. 

Two linebacker sets are becoming the norm in the NFL and we’ve found our two in Matt Milano and Tremaine Edmunds. 

Rarely will there be 3 or more linebackers on the field and I doubt this McDermott wants to relegate Milano to a sub 40 play guy. 

The concept of White, Milano and Edmunds at linebacker is fascinating and we would certainly have one of the best and most athletic trios in the league, but I simply don’t see it happening when it’s more about the duo. 

• Like (+1) 1

People do realize that GASP players can play multiple positions?!  I know it's a crazy concept, but some actually see value in a guy who can play multiple spots.  In fact, some defenses in the league even have multiple players who play middle linebacker at the same time!

I find the possibilities with Edmunds and White to be very intriguing.

I wouldn't be upset with this pick, but there's a bunch of guys we can get at 9 that I wouldn't be upset about either. 

The McBeane team has put together an outstanding off season so far, and there's no reason to believe they won't keep in going in the draft. Especially if they nab Bryce Love in the 3rd or 4th.

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

So why has McD spent a year with him at MLB?

Because of his athleticism, he sees Luke Keuchly type of potential because the position has changed from guys like Reggie Ragland who are run stuffers into guys who can stop the run but also fall back into coverage, move sideline to sideline. He was good in his first year but the thought of White at ILB who has the same athleticism as Edmunds but his natural position is ILB and just letting Edmunds loose on QB's, I think he'd be a top notch pass rusher plus he could still fall back into coverage. 

14 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

I loved the Edmunds pick, but I think anyone with a hint understanding of what it takes to man the middle knows that there are naturally instinctive players who can do the job as second nature. They can read everything around them, diagnose it, and take the best angle before anyone else has even moved. This is why Mosley got paid so much, and Devin can run circles around him. Growing a great athlete into a position is great, but I’m not sure the MLB position is right for Edmunds... Devin White is the next Keuchly, and it could be a terrible mistake to pass on him if he’s available. 

PS: Edmunds can be phenomenal at OLB where reactions are higher valued than instincts. And he can keep pace with any offense threat running down the field. 

White is not an a natural MLB. Hes like a more athletic version of Lee from the Jets. 

14 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why move Edmunds outside?

He is 20 yrs old and has just done a crash course as MLB and improved throughout the season..They thought so much of him last year.. give him another season at least..

Also, they play a lot of nickel with Taron Johnson on the field for about half the snaps meaning that Edmunds and Milano can be the 2 LB’s

It just seems a wasted

Agreed.  There's also absolutely no reason to move him to the outside.  This ill-founded narrative that he's better on the outside is just that, ill-founded.  Edmunds is going to be great no matter where he lines up and MLB is the most important position on the D, which is why they need to keep him there.  

Edge pass rushers are far easier to come by than phenominal MLBs like Kuechly, Willis, Lewis, etc.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

Agreed.  There's also absolutely no reason to move him to the outside.  This ill-founded narrative that he's better on the outside is just that, ill-founded.  Edmunds is going to be great no matter where he lines up and MLB is the most important position on the D, which is why they need to keep him there.  

Edge pass rushers are far easier to come by than phenominal MLBs like Kuechly, Willis, Lewis, etc.  

MLB is far from the most important position on the D.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why move Edmunds outside?

He is 20 yrs old and has just done a crash course as MLB and improved throughout the season..They thought so much of him last year.. give him another season at least..

Also, they play a lot of nickel with Taron Johnson on the field for about half the snaps meaning that Edmunds and Milano can be the 2 LB’s

It just seems a wasted use of a Top 10 pick..

I wouldn't say it would be a waste, but important point here is scheme. Given our primary base, we only really ever play 2 LB packages - wouldn't make sense to make the impact pick there. 

That being said, I don't disagree with OP and the evaluation of White - he's a special talent for the position. I just don't see us going here at 9 unless they do so as early contingency and decide to let Milano walk (not necessarily something I'm for), but they would have to be pretty high on a Edmunds/White duo to bypass other greater potential value added at 9 along the DL.