Ledyard: 2019 NFL Draft Edge Defender Rankings

Jon Ledyard/The Draft Network 

While the draft world likely remains unsettled on anything close to a strong consensus on the 2019 edge defender class, my grade on the position group have been finalized. I went trait-by-trait to break down how each of my top nine prospects grade out.

In no order (the final order is at the bottom), here are my top nine edge defenders in the class (nine was the point at which a huge drop-off occurred):

Nick Bosa, Ohio State

Josh Allen, Kentucky

Montez Sweat, Mississippi State

Jachai Polite, Florida

Brian Burns, Florida State

Clelin Ferrell, Clemson

Christian Miller, Alabama

Rashan Gary, Michigan

Chase Winovich, Michigan

*I’m waiting for Charles Omenihu’s pro day weigh-in to determine where I’m going to grade him, I didn’t expect him to be up seven pounds to 280 at the Combine, so I’m just not sure which grading filter to put him through yet.

Traits assessed:

production

NfL Combine performance

Arc/Burst Speed

Bend/Flexibility 

Rush Moves

Counters

Run Defense

Character/Work Ethic 

Bosa, Burns, Allen were only ones he graded Round 1

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

I'll be honest, if the Bills do take someone on the edge, and early I'd hope to ***** its Burns.

I honestly think there could be a case made for Ferrell too. Would be a little high for my blood, but could see why they would possibly go that route.

3 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Sweat is 4 spots too high... 1 dimensional, with zero strength at the point of attack and possesses 1 pass-rush move, run around... he's a late 1st round prospect. The combine has made him fools gold.

The list in my post isn’t ranked in order. Ledyard has him round 2

FINAL GRADES

One note on the final grades here: Polite had a Round 1 grade on tape, but the work ethic and Combine categories scored low enough to drop him into Round 2. Depending on what I discovered as a team in his interview process, I might not draft him at all, or I might take him higher if I felt like he could work in my locker room culture. He is more talented than Ferrell or Sweat in my opinion, I just don’t trust him at the next level.

1. Bosa - Round 1

2. Burns - Round 1

3. Allen - Round 1

4. Ferrell - Round 2

5. Sweat - Round 2

6. Polite - Round 2

7. Winovich - Mid Day 2

8. Gary - Mid Day 2

9. Miller - Mid Day 2

Edited by YoloinOhio

Gary, Ferrell, Burns, and Polite all should go before Sweat.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

The list in my post isn’t ranked in order. Ledyard has him round 2

I figured it wasn't your personal order... so I didn't personally attack you. But if I do feel that this is your order, I will ruthlessly admonish your existence.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Gary, Ferrell, Burns, and Polite all should go before Sweat.

I figured it wasn't your personal order... so I didn't personally attack you. But if I do feel that this is your order, I will ruthlessly admonish your existence.

You can have a distaste for Sweat, that's fine, but Gary doesn't belong in this conversation at all.

Ledyard knows way more than I do, but I’m surprised to see Gary in the group. He seems miscast. Is any team drafting him to play this position? It’s fair to judge him him on his technique but he’s a DT in the NFL imo 

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

You can have a distaste for Sweat, that's fine, but Gary doesn't belong in this conversation at all.

We posted this at same time. I’m trying to figure out why he includes him. Mid day 2? I mean I guess if you want him to play on the edge but he will be long gone to a team that doesn’t.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Traits assessed:

production

NfL Combine performance

Arc/Burst Speed

Bend/Flexibility 

Rush Moves

Counters

Run Defense

Character/Work Ethic 

I'm going on record these DEs are overrated and I would hate for the Bills to waste a pk on any of these guys. Unless Allen or Bosa falls which is not gonna happen. I'll pass on 

Sweat

Burns

Ferrell 

Gary 

3 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

I'll be honest, if the Bills do take someone on the edge, and early I'd hope to ***** its Burns.

I honestly think there could be a case made for Ferrell too. Would be a little high for my blood, but could see why they would possibly go that route.

Ferrell is Shaq 2.0

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Traits assessed:

production

NfL Combine performance

Arc/Burst Speed

Bend/Flexibility 

Rush Moves

Counters

Run Defense

Character/Work Ethic 

Chase in the third or fourth.

• Like (+1) 1

Been waiting for something like this to come out.  I really think the defensive class is overrated.  There are some good DTs available but as far as pass rushers I don't see it after Bosa, Allen.  I really like Williams at the DT spot.  I just feel that it's a solid draft class that's missing elite players other than the top 5 or so.  I hope the Bills trade back unless one of the elite guys fall.  A lot of good solid talent will be available in the second round.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

after reading about burns, he sure sounds like another jerry hughes...

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Just burn the Raiders to the ground if Bosa is there at 4 and they trade the pick, given how much draft capital they already hold. 

This is John Gruden after all. He could love 4 QBs in the draft and not be able to decide. Naturally

he has to draft them all. Luckily he has his crush, Nathan Peterman, to hold down the fort in the meantime. 

• Haha (+1) 1