Fundraisers

Mr Wild

11 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

So, you're bringing in $25,000. But only giving out $11,500. So that's where you're Stromboli fund comes from. 

I didn’t run it but , that gives me an idea for to run a raffle on TBD  

Proceeds to be donated.  

There’s a guy in my town that has a grill on a trailer.  He sets up in a school or church parking lot and sells grilled chicken dinners for take out.  Part of the proceeds go to the group that got permission and advertised for him. 

The different school sports or other organizations like to get him to set up in the parking lot on the day of the school budget vote.  Guaranteed steady stream of people stopping by to vote.  Cha Ching!

31 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I didn’t run it but , that gives me an idea for to run a raffle on TBD  

Proceeds to be donated.  

That’s awesome! By coincidence, I happen to accept donations! 

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

Raffle with only 250 tickets at $100. Top prize  $10,000 - 2nd $1,000 - 3rd $300 4th and 5th $100. 

Used to do thes 2 times a year at GE. 

What is the size of the location you do this at?

31 minutes ago, Mr Wild said:

What is the size of the location you do this at?

Sounds like you’d have to market that all over. If it’s for a good cause, I’d certainly do it. My wife bought a raffle ticket from her friends in a Zonta club. They tried to sell me outside my Rotary meeting too. They let me off the hook at the door saying my wife already bought the winning tickets. They were RIGHT! I don’t think it was rigged, but we won a trip to see the Bills play the Redskins in the Super Bowl. My wife wanted to sell the package to but a nice dining room set......but she’s better than that! 

3 hours ago, Mr Wild said:

High school football team

Then you let the players play a large part in raising the money.  Great life lesson for them.  

Some ideas:

• Car wash - players can wash the cars.
  • Chili cookoff - find a local establishment or rent out a pavilion; find a small band or a one man acoustic jam to donate services; do a silent auction at the same time.
  • Get a local business to donate one big ticket item for raffle.  Maybe a grill or find a company that has season tix for a pro sports team that they'll donate.  Have the boys go out and sell tickets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/18/2019 at 9:27 PM, Augie said:

I hate the whole FTFY stuff, but I’m feeling lazy. My wife had it out with the Bishop about moving the Catholic Charity Ball to the Ritz. Other venues were cheaper. He felt it was a waste of money on the expense side. She argued people who would stroke the $10-20k check would not attend at Denny’s. She won, and raised revenue from the event by almost 1,000 percent. The Bishop came around..... He became a fan of our family. 

When we first moved to Atlanta there was a St Jude event at the home of a local restauranteur. After wine tasting and small plates, they convened in the living room. They started with “who wants to write a check for $25k?”. Then worked their way down. Hands kept going up, raised a fortune in 2-3 hours.  

I wonder how the new GOP tax law will have an affect on this?  Can't claim squat now.  

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Another fundraiser they do in my town is a Prince Charming event.  Elementary school boys and their mothers get all dressed up and go to a fancy event.  I think it’s more or less a buffet dinner in the school gym. The mothers love it.  Apparently the kids don’t seem to object. 

17 hours ago, Mr Wild said:

So someone has announced doing the same raffle suggested.

We are having a can drive this weekend.  I am thinking like a spaghetti dinner later this year.  Gets the kids and moms involved. Hopefully

Moms ... hmmm ... how about a Mom Calendar?

I'll buy one.

17 hours ago, Mr Wild said:

So someone has announced doing the same raffle suggested.

We are having a can drive this weekend.  I am thinking like a spaghetti dinner later this year.  Gets the kids and moms involved. Hopefully

50/50 raffles are easy if you’re doing it in one night.

If you’re doing one with fixed # tickets and set prizes, you need to make sure the kids sell all the tickets so that usually happens over a few weeks.

On 3/19/2019 at 11:42 PM, Augie said:

Our kids HS did the old 50/50 thing at sporting events. I feel bad that I didn’t play along more, but usually didn’t stop to bother with it. My bad. 

In my defense, @plenzmd1, you were generally shamed into giving your half back to the school, plus we already paid non-Catholic rate despite being Catholic and attending regularly. That was an extra $2k/year per kid that went to tuition aid for those who needed it.

Oh, and I had a very strong dislike for the incompetent clown show who ran the school at that point. Sorry for burying the lead there. I guess I don’t really feel that bad.....but it was an idea that raised money. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

In my defense, @plenzmd1, you were generally shamed into giving your half back to the school

Yeah, that's always been my sense on those things when it's a school fundraiser.   I'd rather spend the dough at an auction and at least walk out with something for my $.  Or at the school fairs -- at least the kids have a good time while you're dropping $50 for a snow cone and a few rides, or buying another tee-shirt you don't need.

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

In my defense, @plenzmd1, you were generally shamed into giving your half back to the school, plus we already paid non-Catholic rate despite being Catholic and attending regularly. That was an extra $2k/year per kid that went to tuition aid for those who needed it.

Oh, and I had a very strong dislike for the incompetent clown show who ran the school at that point. Sorry for burying the lead there. I guess I don’t really feel that bad.....but it was an idea that raised money. 

22 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Yeah, that's always been my sense on those things when it's a school fundraiser.   I'd rather spend the dough at an auction and at least walk out with something for my $.  Or at the school fairs -- at least the kids have a good time while you're dropping $50 for a snow cone and a few rides, or buying another tee-shirt you don't need.

KD, i know him..he is just cheap and doesn't like kids!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

KD, i know him..he is just cheap and doesn't like kids!!!!

You left out puppies! I hate those nasty puppies too! All fluffy and cute, full of love.....who needs that crap around??!!?? 

Bah! Humbug! 

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I attended a fundraising event for a friend of mine's son who suffered a serious neck injury.  There were multiple items in a silent auction.  Someone donated a basketball signed by Oscar Robertson.  A guy one it ... then publicly gave it to the family so they could auction it again.  So after that, everyone who won felt awkward.