Tim Graham Defends Mike Rodak. Says Bills Fans Treat Him Unfairly

Tim Graham is strange.  As a matter of fact, I liked it better back in the day when sports writers were rarely seen or heard.  We just read their columns in the newspaper.  Now with social media, we see their real personalities and most are grouchy and thin skinned as he!!.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Tim Graham is strange.  As a matter of fact, I liked it better back in the day when sports writers were rarely seen or heard.  We just read their columns in the newspaper.  Now with social media, we see their real personalities and most are grouchy and thin skinned as he!!.

Graham is a very angry dude.  At least Rodak mostly ignores the trolls.

Rodak I think simply likes to torment Bills fans.  If they do something good , he's always there to remind the readers of past history.  He's really good at trolling the fans in a understated way .Graham's pessimism probably stems from covering the team for so long through some very very bad years.

2 hours ago, HiddenInLight said:

Rodak is disliked and treated like an annoying little trash writer because that is what he is.  Hes never even tried to change that perception by doing anything even remotely insightful in an article.  While it's not cool to tell somebody to kill themselves, he reaps what he sews.

Pot meet kettle. 

17 hours ago, Virgil said:

Tim is shockingly sensitive considering what his job requires of him to the public eye. 

I didn’t even know where Rodak was from, but all of his articles came off like Pats propaganda and the Bills were a waste of his time.  His Bills coverage was never more insightful than what you’d read on a ticker. 

Neither are missed for me. 

Pepperidge farms and I remember TG's meltdown on this board.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

My knock on Rodak is that everything he writes is either garbage or "no ****, Sherlock," material.  He offers literally nothing.  Zero.

My knock on Timmy G., is that he's an arrogant a-hole who doesn't like to be challenged - even in a professional/respectful manner.  Classic douche, really.  The place is better without him and his ridiculous little cult who followed him like lost puppies.

This is pretty spot on.  I've never read something from Rodak and said, "hey, I never thought about it that way."  Nothing special about him at all.

Graham, while an excellent writer, is indeed a douche unless you've navigated your way into his protected circle.

• Like (+1) 1

Tim is a good writer who absolutely loves being a troll. He had a ridiculous and protracted back and forth with some 80s hair band lead singer's wife some some reason or another that turned me off of defending him. Some funny quips in that exchange, but at the end of the day, are you really spending your day publicly taking shots at someone's missus, that's a good use of your time?

6 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Another outstanding member of the forum driven away.

I cannot believe the loss of civility that's taken place here where even simple debate is practically impossible. 

I really think the board serves as a microcosm for where society is going, and it's not good.  Incessant arguing, an inability to listen, or the ability to agree to disagree.

Some people ultimately decide to leave and replaced with those who have never heard the word decorum.

I'll speak up here.   First off, as a user, I typically manage to have quite civil debate here.  I managed for years before I became a mod.  Sometimes things get a little testy but usually folks respond pretty well to "wait a minute, how about quit with the ad-hominems and help me understand why you think that?  because here's why I think what I do."

Second, as one of those charged with helping to keep this a civil place where debate continues to be possible, I would like to respectfully direct your attention to the "report" function, which should not be overused, no, but which is at your service should you encounter someone lacking in decorum or civility.

I miss Lori, but ultimately each of us has to decide what they get from participating anyplace they spend their time and whether it suits their needs or no.  And no one place will suit everyone's needs.

Mike Rodak, this guy, right?  With this preseason article? http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/28518/bills-set-up-tyrod-taylor-to-fail-blow-up-2017-season-with-shocking-trades , with the headline "Bills set up Tyrod Taylor to fail, blowing up 2017 season with shocking trades" and opens with this wonderfully ironic line "BUFFALO -- Turn out the lights on the Buffalo Bills' 2017 season, because it is over before it started."?  This kind of deep, insightful take?  The season the Bills broke a seventeen year playoff drought was over before it started?  ?

As stated by multiple posters prior, Rodak is disliked because all of his Bills' coverage is negative.  Even in the Bills' brightest moments, he finds any spot of tarnish, real of imagined to throw shade at the team.  Compare this to his coverage of the Patriots, where everything is positive, even if it's negative.  If his reporting style was consistant with both teams, most people would be fine.  Yes, there would be a lot more positive pieces about the Pats for obvious reasons, but it's fair and well-deserved.  But actually take a look and you will see day in and day out, article to article that according to Rodak New England can do nothing at all wrong, and Buffalo can't do anything, nothing at all right.  And that...is why he's disliked among many here.

Edited by The Red King
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

My knock on Rodak is that everything he writes is either garbage or "no ****, Sherlock," material.  He offers literally nothing.  Zero.

My knock on Timmy G., is that he's an arrogant a-hole who doesn't like to be challenged - even in a professional/respectful manner.  Classic douche, really.  The place is better without him and his ridiculous little cult who followed him like lost puppies.

TBH, some of the people who were engaging with Tim G were over the top and way out of line IMHO.  I also dunno about cult, and puppies are always good regardless.

But it's also true that TG did "go off" in a taunting/troll like manner, even on people who were simply asking questions or otherwise behaving appropriately.  That's simply not compatible with an open forum on the internet.  Ijits can be ignored, but you will be expected to explain or defend what you say, and if that's not comfortable it's the wrong place for ya.

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll speak up here.   First off, as a user, I typically manage to have quite civil debate here.  I managed for years before I became a mod.  Sometimes things get a little testy but usually folks respond pretty well to "wait a minute, how about quit with the ad-hominems and help me understand why you think that?  because here's why I think what I do."

Second, as one of those charged with helping to keep this a civil place where debate continues to be possible, I would like to respectfully direct your attention to the "report" function, which should not be overused, no, but which is at your service should you encounter someone lacking in decorum or civility.

I miss Lori, but ultimately each of us has to decide what they get from participating anyplace they spend their time and whether it suits their needs or no.  And no one place will suit everyone's needs.

I will say that of late the board has been MUCH better then in the past as far as civility between posters

An effort is being made.

• Haha (+1) 1

Rodak is not a great writer, not original, dynamic, entertaining, a two-source old school reporter, he doesn't break stories, ask biting questions, not creative, not funny, not a deep researcher, he doesn't seem to have deep contacts, he's not prolific, and lacks flair. I love that guy!

• Haha (+1) 3

I think Rodak has improved a bit as the years have gone by.  He has written a few articles that I found genuinely interesting: for example, one was an article detailing the Bills food service for their players.  It was interesting because it had interviews with players, coaches, and staff, contained behind-the-scenes info that regular fans don't have access to, and was a change of pace from debating Tyrod Taylor or whether or not the Bills should re-sign Stephen Gilmore (or whatever over talked about issue was at the fore front).  In other words, it was actually good reporting.  Rodak has probably written less than 5 articles like this.  His snark is improving, but if the Bills take the next step in 2019, it will be interesting to see how he phrases articles.

I grew up in Rochester.  I enjoy/miss the reporting that Sal Maiorana, Leo Roth, and Scott Pitoniak did in the D&C -- I know Sal Maiorana gets crap here, but I think his takes are honest.  It's a good contrast to Rodak: Maiorana will write both positive, fluff pieces and will also write negative stories.  He calls it like he sees it, whereas Rodak, Sully, and I'll even add Mike Schopp like to take a snarky, mean-spirited negative spin to generate controversy.  One I can respect, the other is grating and annoying.

Given all the whining I see here about what beat writers aren't saying what TBD wants to hear I'm inclined to agree.

I never pay attention to beat writers and these other radio dudes. Get with podcasts y'all. Locked on Bills is great. Cover 2 is great.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

17 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I don't enjoy Rodak very much, but people shouldn't make those types of personal attacks on anyone just because they don't appreciate their work. That said, if you want to troll, expect the hate.

Is forming a one sentence line and popping it on Twitter really working though?

Rodak is a tool that I flat out ignore.

The Buffalo News did a fantastic job cleaning out dull , unimaginative and snarky group.   They now how a real sport section.   I wish wgr would do the same.  

Joe b went after Murph today is was great radio.   

5 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Aw crap, now I like him a bit more...

i agree he was extremely snarky.  he is better now .    

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

What was said?

they were arguing over weather the Bills tanked.   Murph said Joe b was wrong, Joe said you can say you disagree ,but to say i am wrong is condescending .  

Murpjh shot back well your wrong and they went to commercial .