Tim Graham Defends Mike Rodak. Says Bills Fans Treat Him Unfairly

Do organizations like the News, ESPN, the Athletic, etc. have rules that mandate their reporters be accessible via social media and/or email?  If not, maybe the solution for writers is to simply not participate on Twitter or provide email addresses for comments.  This of course does not excuse people being complete morons on social media, but if you are a reporter and open yourself to comments from readers you have to expect some negative comments back towards your writing.

Rodak is a Pats fan covering the Bills because ESPN could not care less about giving the Bills quality coverage, simple as that.

If he's "playing the troll" he's been doing it since day 1.  It's always seemed he believes covering the Bills is beneath him.

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Do organizations like the News, ESPN, the Athletic, etc. have rules that mandate their reporters be accessible via social media and/or email?  If not, maybe the solution for writers is to simply not participate on Twitter or provide email addresses for comments.  This of course does not excuse people being complete morons on social media, but if you are a reporter and open yourself to comments from readers you have to expect some negative comments back towards your writing. 

As a member of the media (behind the scenes), I can tell you this is a VERY important part of the job nowadays ...

we should lobby for Field Yates 

Field Yates, NFL analyst: Buffalo Bills. I love the approach the Bills have taken this offseason with a blend of significant investments (center Mitch Morsefor four years, for example) and one-year fliers to patch up roster holes and evaluate whether a player fits in long term (offensive lineman LaAdrian Waddle, for example). General manager Brandon Beane and coach Sean McDermott have preached patience and process, and we're seeing the team make major strides.

• Like (+1) 1

Guys who post negative spins on everything seem to believe they are "speaking truth to power" and delude themselves into thinking they are doing something greater than collecting a paycheck. The issue I have with columnists like Sully and beat reporters like Rodak is that they don't actually break stories or add anything new to the discussion, they just repeat what was already reported by someone else with a negative spin and maybe pull a stat or two from a couple minutes of research. The one guy out there who I see actually taking this "no holds barred" reporting approach and actually putting issues of substance on the table, breaking stories and showing they actually have good inside sources is Manish Mehta that reports on the Jets.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

As a member of the media (behind the scenes), I can tell you this is a VERY important part of the job nowadays ...

Can you help explain then the experience many have had when they try to engage and are belittled by the reporter?

40 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Another outstanding member of the forum driven away.

I cannot believe the loss of civility that's taken place here where even simple debate is practically impossible. 

I really think the board serves as a microcosm for where society is going, and it's not good.  Incessant arguing, an inability to listen, or the ability to agree to disagree.

Some people ultimately decide to leave and replaced with those who have never heard the word decorum.

I hear the distant sounds of pearls being clutched.

This board used to be MUCH less civil than it is today, and much less regulated. And it was better then than it is now.

Lori left of her own accord, because she couldn't handle the criticism of Precious Timmy...despite the fact that Timmy behaved like he truly believed he was precious. No one "drove her away."

• Like (+1) 3

Tim Graham was not afraid to call out Ralph and his stooges for being trash, and for that, he will always be appreciated by me. :thumbsup:

As for Rodak, I don’t really care one way or another, he’s JAG. He could be replaced by someone else tomorrow and I wouldn’t notice.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

This board used to be MUCH less civil than it is today, and much less regulated. And it was better then than it is now.

Lori left of her own accord, because she couldn't handle the criticism of Precious Timmy...despite the fact that Timmy behaved like he truly believed he was precious. No one "drove her away."

She's a good person and should be remembered as such. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Did I say she wasn't? I like Lori. I'm just stating the truth about the situation. She left because people had the GALL to criticize Timmy.

I think it was a little more complicated than that, if I recall correctly. Obviously, though, Graham was a key part of it. It is the case, though, that a couple of the anti-Graham people became full-scale crusaders about the issue, which was not only annoying, but also a pretty lame way to live one's online life. I myself had no dog in that fight. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I think it was a little more complicated than that, if I recall correctly. Obviously, though, Graham was a key part of it. It is the case, though, that a couple of the anti-Graham people became full-scale crusaders about the issue, which was not only annoying, but also a pretty lame way to live one's online life. I myself had no dog in that fight. 

Neither did I, really. Wasn't a fan of Graham and still am not. Think he's an insufferable bag of feminine hygiene product, much in the same vein as Mike Schopp. But didn't care enough about him to crusade over him.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I wish that she was still here.

Absolutely. I used to find TG"s rants in here mildly amusing. When he left, the biggest loss to this board was that if Lori. As good a poster as she was, I wish she wasn't so stubborn and loyal to leave this place for good due to the treatment some gave TG. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Absolutely. I used to find TG"s rants in here mildly amusing. When he left, the biggest loss to this board was that if Lori. As good a poster as she was, I wish she wasn't so stubborn and loyal to leave this place for good due to the treatment some gave TG. 

The pregame posts that she wrote were the best I have ever seen in any type of media outlet.

She had stats, including those of previous matchups dating back for years. Her posts were perfectly written and she studied both teams.

Lori was also able to incorporate her pleasant personality as well as humor into her posts which is not always easy to do. I tailgated with her many times and can tell you that she is a wonderful person as well.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

Rodak is disliked and treated like an annoying little trash writer because that is what he is.  Hes never even tried to change that perception by doing anything even remotely insightful in an article.  While it's not cool to tell somebody to kill themselves, he reaps what he sews.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Less inciteful these past 3 months