Tim Graham Defends Mike Rodak. Says Bills Fans Treat Him Unfairly

Because if you were just to sit there and take it, I think it would be a miserable depressing existence

------------------

I disagree with this assessment as far as Rodak being defensive towards the comments from Bills fans.

I think he'd lead a miserable and depressing existence even if he wasn't the Bills beat writer. ?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

http://moranalytics.com/ep-100-tim-graham-the-athletic/

Listened to a great interview with Tim Graham of The Athletic.  He speaks openly about his departure from the BN, WGR, and of course his current work at the Athletic.  But I feel the most interesting quote was about his friend and co-host Mike Rodak.  Rodak famously gets a ton of backlash from Bills fans.  I never got the Rodak hatred, but many times I thought that this tweets were phrased very poorly, as to take the piss out of Bills fans.  Graham basically confirms that's the case.

I know that very few will listen to the his comments but you can find them at the 35 minute mark.  But here is what Timmy said:

Pat Moran:  "You mention MIke Rodak.  I like that dude.  I feel like Bills fans gave him such a bum rap his first couple years in Buffalo because where he came from, but that kind of has turned now.  

I sense now fans consider him one of their own." 

Tim Graham:  "Not quite Pat.   I still see and hear about the grief that he gets.  He'll tweet something along the lines of 'Buffalo Bills sign Jordan Phillips to a contract extension.'  Just a tweet.  Just an update.  And within 5 minutes someone will say 'kill yourself,' 'move back,' 'get out of town,' 'please leave."  And he does play the bit of the troll, a little bit, but I think part of it is, and I'm speaking for Mike here and he's been on your podcast, so this isn't anything that I haven't discussed with him over beers but....I get it because it's got to be a bit of a defense mechanism.  Because if you were just to sit there and take it, I think it would be a miserable depressing existence...just to constantly told that you suck, when you know that you're doing good work, which he does.  If it comes time for him to leave at some point, I think the quality of work that he does in terms of breaking down the Bills, the transactions and the data, the position battles and covering the hard stories....like he's all over the LeSean McCoy legal stuff when a lot of others haven't (myself included).  But he's taken the bull by the horns there, and he's done great work.  But if he had just absorbed all the punishment and never gotten to a point where he's got to have a little "FU" in him, then I think that he'd be in a fetal position somewhere."  

Somebody should tell Tim Graham this is the main reason people don't like him. He chooses all the negative stories about the Bills. It's not about where he's from for me, it's about all the negative stories he does for the Bills. I mean God forbid, he takes a good story that will uplift the Bills & fanbase. He's all over Shady cause it's negative, he was all over the Lynch taking $20 story, all over tv home games being blacked out when it was such a thing. Dude is just negative period.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Tim is shockingly sensitive considering what his job requires of him to the public eye. 

Understanding the norm on the anonymous Twitter, message boards, and comment sections is "Go kill yourself" doesn't make it OK or something anyone should do. The vile rhetoric is hurtful. I'm sure Tim and others are used to it--but there's a difference between being used to it and accepting it or enjoying it. 

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Entertaining until you dare to suggest he might be wrong on something.  Then he acts like a three year old.  A very talented writer but a child in some ways.

Reminds me of another journalist.....

8 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

What is BBMC?  Also did Tim Graham post here?  I can find anything By Tim Graham

BBMC = BBMB buffalo bills message board, when the poster mistypes one letter

Yes, Tim posted here.  Had some cleverly disguising username like, TimGraham.  Last seen in, 2010 or so.  He was (IMHO) kind of thin-skinnedly defending himself by snarking at people who were raising reasonable points and announced loudly he was gonna take his ball and go.  Led to several other long-term posters departing because they felt he should have been treated with more courtesy. 

Others felt that "courtesy is as courtesy does" - media members such as John Wawrow who snark at times, but will respond reasonably to reasonable points and just snark when it's pretty much return fire.

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Tim is shockingly sensitive considering what his job requires of him to the public eye. 

I didn’t even know where Rodak was from, but all of his articles came off like Pats propaganda and the Bills were a waste of his time.  His Bills coverage was never more insightful than what you’d read on a ticker. 

Neither are missed for me. 

I mean just wow... that reads like a bold faced lie. How anyone can be on this board and now know rodak is from Boston just because of all of the whining posters do about him on here is beyond me.

A segment of WNY has an inferiority complex and is sensitive. I honestly don't care what they think. Call it a dump, Siberia, the tundra...

Who cares? It's just dumb sports. You think Jay Z and Beyonce are playing green bay? Sports people are dumb and narrow minded.

10 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Understanding the norm on the anonymous Twitter, message boards, and comment sections is "Go kill yourself" doesn't make it OK or something anyone should do. The vile rhetoric is hurtful. I'm sure Tim and others are used to it--but there's a difference between being used to it and accepting it or enjoying it. 

Oh, absolutely.   But Graham would lash out at people who basically just asked reasonable questions about something he said.  Essentially he'd treat "reasonable fan with a reasonable question" as though they were all saying "go kill yourself"

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I mean just wow... that reads like a bold faced lie. How anyone can be on this board and now know rodak is from Boston just because of all of the whining posters do about him on here is beyond me.  (....)

Who cares? It's just dumb sports. You think Jay Z and Beyonce are playing green bay? Sports people are dumb and narrow minded.

Generalize much?

Also seems like you're contradicting yourself.  If "who cares?" is appropriate, then it could be entirely reasonable not to remember where Rodak comes from - do you remember stuff you don't care about?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, purple haze said:

Whatever.  

Many folks can go too far.  At the same time, the reason many don't appreciate Rodak have been evident

over the years.  Being seen as needlessly negative will cause blowback.  It always struck me as Rodak doing

it to play a heel, a character, not as a defense against criticism from fans.  All people need to do is

find news from another source.  No need to get online and act a fool.  Don't click on his articles; that would

be worse for him than insulting him on social media.

I'm not sure what he has supposed to be positive about. This fanbase criticizes Murph but I really think that's all they can handle.

Or listen to that thin skinned Sal Cappacio.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, absolutely.   But Graham would lash out at people who basically just asked reasonable questions about something he said.  Essentially he'd treat "reasonable fan with a reasonable question" as though they were all saying "go kill yourself"

Generalize much?

Also seems like you're contradicting yourself.  If "who cares?" is appropriate, then it could be entirely reasonable not to remember where Rodak comes from - do you remember stuff you don't care about?

I mean that's pretty much my point, I guess I should have been more specific to people who get paid to comment on sports are dumb and narrow minded. They really are for the most part. 

And saying who cares completely works for me. Because I don't care where he's from, I don't really care what he says. Some articles I think are good, some are bad, i never read it as patriot propaganda.

I think someone who would say his articles as patriot propaganda probably know where he's from.

And again, I say something like sports people are dumb and someone goes "hey I'm not dumb". Instead of thinking about all the dumb things people from this board never said.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

Nobody should ever be told to go kill themselves!  Now that that's out of the way, Mike Rodak would get a lot more support from Bills fans if he actually would write something positive about the team.  He is a glass half empty guy when it comes to the Bills for sure.    

I don't know how many of you also listen to the " Bills Beat Podcast" with Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn ( if you don't you should  be the guys are great) but they hammer on Rodak almost every episode and they work with the guy.  Tim Graham is a guest on there sometimes and I am almost certain that he leads the charge against Rodak at times.   I come from a family that unfortunately deals with mental illness so telling someone to go kill themselves is just repulsive to me.  I 100% agree with Tim about that.  However if he wants everyone to respect the way Rodak writes I think he needs to actually read Rodaks stories or tweets and hear where we are coming from.  

9 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Really?  What was the snit?  Also are his posts still live?  He's an entertaining dude on Twitter

with apologies to DC Tom, he’s an idiot.

yes, Tom, your royalty check is in the mail.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

9 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Right and Tim is basically says that some of work deliberately was pro-NE to stick it to the Bills fans who gave him such crap

This strikes me as revisionism by Rodak's friend Tim.

Maybe if Rodak from the start didn't "stick it to the Bills fans" with his NE-centric spin, he would have built respect.

It's not like Bills fans are uniformly all over journalists.  There are several who write good stuff and are sorely missed or respected/almost revered here.  Ty Dunne and John Wawrow come to mind.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Neither Tim nor Mike like Bills fans, as a whole. It is that simple. Tim can write his ass off. Mike, not so much. Incidentally, Tim was fantastic when he was the beat writer for ESPN. Mike, not so much.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This strikes me as revisionism by Rodak's friend Tim.

Maybe if Rodak from the start didn't "stick it to the Bills fans" with his NE-centric spin, he would have built respect.

It's not like Bills fans are uniformly all over journalists.  There are several who write good stuff and are sorely missed or respected/almost revered here.  Ty Dunne and John Wawrow come to mind.

Agreed.

Rodak didn't do himself any favors.  Maybe he was hoping his Bills coverage wouldn't last long..  

• Like (+1) 2