Tim Graham Defends Mike Rodak. Says Bills Fans Treat Him Unfairly

Rodak plays the arrogant prick troll

His reporting is solid and his troll character makes it better

He is in a business where you need thick skin, hell you need thick skin to even post on this message board at times

If he isn't trying to be a troll then I retract this post and I don't know what to say

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DJB said:

I dont mind the lighthearted jabs at either guy. But telling people to go kill themselves?  That's just way over the line and unnecessary 

Yeah, that’s definitely a WNY problem... C’mon now, everywhere in the entire world has a ***** online presence. 

That’s the name of the game, if he can’t take it he’s in the wrong job. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Yeah, that’s definitely a WNY problem... C’mon now, everywhere in the entire world has a ***** online presence. 

I never said it was a WNY only problem.  But that's the problem with society these days where telling people to kill themselves is the problem of the person being bullied. 

12 minutes ago, DJB said:

I never said it was a WNY only problem.  But that's the problem with society these days where telling people to kill themselves is the problem of the person being bullied. 

Hey, I’m all for trying to fix society’s ills but it’s a losing battle. Modern medicine and cozy indoor lifestyles has made Darwinism a thing of the past. 

Survival of everyone means there are more of them than there are of us. 

You can waste your breath screaming that it isn’t right or get on with your day and possibly sing a fun song at the nearest karaoke bar. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

http://moranalytics.com/ep-100-tim-graham-the-athletic/

Listened to a great interview with Tim Graham of The Athletic.  He speaks openly about his departure from the BN, WGR, and of course his current work at the Athletic.  But I feel the most interesting quote was about his friend and co-host Mike Rodak.  Rodak famously gets a ton of backlash from Bills fans.  I never got the Rodak hatred, but many times I thought that this tweets were phrased very poorly, as to take the piss out of Bills fans.  Graham basically confirms that's the case.

I know that very few will listen to the his comments but you can find them at the 35 minute mark.  But here is what Timmy said:

Pat Moran:  "You mention MIke Rodak.  I like that dude.  I feel like Bills fans gave him such a bum rap his first couple years in Buffalo because where he came from, but that kind of has turned now.  

I sense now fans consider him one of their own." 

Tim Graham:  "Not quite Pat.   I still see and hear about the grief that he gets.  He'll tweet something along the lines of 'Buffalo Bills sign Jordan Phillips to a contract extension.'  Just a tweet.  Just an update.  And within 5 minutes someone will say 'kill yourself,' 'move back,' 'get out of town,' 'please leave."  And he does play the bit of the troll, a little bit, but I think part of it is, and I'm speaking for Mike here and he's been on your podcast, so this isn't anything that I haven't discussed with him over beers but....I get it because it's got to be a bit of a defense mechanism.  Because if you were just to sit there and take it, I think it would be a miserable depressing existence...just to constantly told that you suck, when you know that you're doing good work, which he does.  If it comes time for him to leave at some point, I think the quality of work that he does in terms of breaking down the Bills, the transactions and the data, the position battles and covering the hard stories....like he's all over the LeSean McCoy legal stuff when a lot of others haven't (myself included).  But he's taken the bull by the horns there, and he's done great work.  But if he had just absorbed all the punishment and never gotten to a point where he's got to have a little "FU" in him, then I think that he'd be in a fetal position somewhere."  

:bag:

17 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Being criticized for being a journalist is the name of the game. Being told to kill yourself is far from ok even if people don’t agree with someone. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Devilmann said:

Being criticized for being a journalist is the name of the game. Being told to kill yourself is far from ok even if people don’t agree with someone. 

Well said. If a person criticizes Rodak, it suggests that person is a fan. Telling Rodak to kill himself, suggests that the person who said that needs A LOT of therapy.

18 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, I think Lori is in love with him :lol:

Does she ever post here anymore? There have been a lot of members who have come and gone.

Edited by Reader
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

http://moranalytics.com/ep-100-tim-graham-the-athletic/

Listened to a great interview with Tim Graham of The Athletic.  He speaks openly about his departure from the BN, WGR, and of course his current work at the Athletic.  But I feel the most interesting quote was about his friend and co-host Mike Rodak.  Rodak famously gets a ton of backlash from Bills fans.  I never got the Rodak hatred, but many times I thought that this tweets were phrased very poorly, as to take the piss out of Bills fans.  Graham basically confirms that's the case.

I know that very few will listen to the his comments but you can find them at the 35 minute mark.  But here is what Timmy said:

Pat Moran:  "You mention MIke Rodak.  I like that dude.  I feel like Bills fans gave him such a bum rap his first couple years in Buffalo because where he came from, but that kind of has turned now.  

I sense now fans consider him one of their own." 

Tim Graham:  "Not quite Pat.   I still see and hear about the grief that he gets.  He'll tweet something along the lines of 'Buffalo Bills sign Jordan Phillips to a contract extension.'  Just a tweet.  Just an update.  And within 5 minutes someone will say 'kill yourself,' 'move back,' 'get out of town,' 'please leave."  And he does play the bit of the troll, a little bit, but I think part of it is, and I'm speaking for Mike here and he's been on your podcast, so this isn't anything that I haven't discussed with him over beers but....I get it because it's got to be a bit of a defense mechanism.  Because if you were just to sit there and take it, I think it would be a miserable depressing existence...just to constantly told that you suck, when you know that you're doing good work, which he does.  If it comes time for him to leave at some point, I think the quality of work that he does in terms of breaking down the Bills, the transactions and the data, the position battles and covering the hard stories....like he's all over the LeSean McCoy legal stuff when a lot of others haven't (myself included).  But he's taken the bull by the horns there, and he's done great work.  But if he had just absorbed all the punishment and never gotten to a point where he's got to have a little "FU" in him, then I think that he'd be in a fetal position somewhere."  

the abuse is just toughening him up ;)

Hes from Buffalo?? Seems like a bean town homer.

It's true, and very obviously so. You can't write Rodak's name on these boards, or the old ones, without a personal attack on him within a post or two. And his stuff is fine, there's no problem with it.

I'm not really a fan but his work is just fine.

Graham is really talented. As reported in the OP's link, he won another APSE Top Ten national award this year for best feature story.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

Whatever.  

Many folks can go too far.  At the same time, the reason many don't appreciate Rodak have been evident

over the years.  Being seen as needlessly negative will cause blowback.  It always struck me as Rodak doing

it to play a heel, a character, not as a defense against criticism from fans.  All people need to do is

find news from another source.  No need to get online and act a fool.  Don't click on his articles; that would

be worse for him than insulting him on social media.

Edited by purple haze

3 hours ago, Stevie Ray said:

Tim used to post here but left in a snit a few years back.

Yeah, that tends to happen when you get #######s after you consistently. 

Most people were really nice but there were a few people who were just consistently offensive and why  stay around in that case if you're not getting paid.

I'll tell you what- it would be awful to have a job where you had to go on twitter and social media and actually interact with random sports fans.  The stuff people say to strangers online is unreal. And some of you actually take the time to email reporters??  For what purpose?

What I got out of this article is that Rodak deliberately goads Bills fans because of their comments.  He should find a new job- just report the news as a beat writer, don't be the news

3 hours ago, hmsmystic said:

I'll tell you what- it would be awful to have a job where you had to go on twitter and social media and actually interact with random sports fans.  The stuff people say to strangers online is unreal. And some of you actually take the time to email reporters??  For what purpose?

What I got out of this article is that Rodak deliberately goads Bills fans because of their comments.  He should find a new job- just report the news as a beat writer, don't be the news

I emailed Graham one time to offer comment about an article he wrote about EJ.  And his response was immature and frankly nasty.

Let me ask this:  if reporters don't want interaction with readers why do they go on Twitter and why at the end of their columns do they put their emails and ask for comments?

• Like (+1) 1