What about Jay Ajayi?

uraloony

Hi all! First time topic, so please go easy on me. I haven't seen much buzz about free agent Jay Ajayi in the forums. He's 25 years old, average 4.5 YPC career, and has one Pro Bowl under his belt. Why not Shady, Gore (blocking/short yardage) and Ajayi as our starting three? Unless McBeane are planning on drafting a RB prospect in the mid/later rounds? I don't see Ivory as the answer. Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, uraloony said:

Hi all! First time topic, so please go easy on me. I haven't seen much buzz about free agent Jay Ajayi in the forums. He's 25 years old, average 4.5 YPC career, and has one Pro Bowl under his belt. Why not Shady, Gore (blocking/short yardage) and Ajayi as our starting three? Unless McBeane are planning on drafting a RB prospect in the mid/later rounds? I don't see Ivory as the answer. Thoughts?

He is one of the guys I have wanted since FA started but I dont believe he is the greatest recieving threat and that is why they havnt inquired.  Our RBs need to be complete backs.  Youll notice the Pats have rarely had that guy that just pounds the rock.  They have always had RBs that are multiple in their talents.

I don’t think he’s old enough for our RB room. The Tony Bennett music might annoy him. 

But seriously, I see us taking a RB by round 4. Ivory is probably the odd man out, and Gore would be the perfect guy to teach the rookie. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t think he’s old enough for our RB room. The Tony Bennett music might annoy him. 

But seriously, I see us taking a RB by round 4. Ivory is probably the odd man out, and Gore would be the perfect guy to teach the rookie. 

His knees are shot.  Why the Dolphins traded him.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we are done with RB's until the draft.  McCoy and Gore are going to for sure be part of the plan, at least going into camp.  I think they will bring in a young guy in the draft to be fresh legs and potential heir apparent to McCoy.  Ivory is the question mark, I feel like if we draft a rookie who shows well in camp then Ivory may be the odd man out.  

28 minutes ago, uraloony said:

Happy to give you your first thumbs up. Welcome to TSW.

16 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

His knees are shot.  Why the Dolphins traded him.

Well, his one knee was just put back together. Gore has torn his left ACL twice, in addition to all the other wear and tear. I'm not sure you can say Ajayyi is broken down when you have Gore on the team. 

That said, it takes awhile to come back from an ACL fully and Ajayyi is probably not ready at this point so unless your plan is to lowball him on a 2 year deal with the plan of putting him on PUP to start the year knowing you may not get anything out of him at all this season I'm not sure it makes much sense right now.

44 minutes ago, Augie said:

I knew someone would beat me to a "he's too young" joke....

I'm thinking that the Bills keep 5 RB/FB players on the roster, which is 1 more than the typical NFL roster:

1. the feature RB who is also useful in the passing game (McCoy)

2. the power RB who runs mostly between the tackles (probably Gore who will replace Ivory)

3. the backup RB who is important to special teams (Murphy)

4. the developmental RB who is only on active roster in case of injury (2019 draft pick?)

5. the traditional FB (DiMarco)

So as you can see, I don't think there's really a strong need for Ajayi at the moment.

Ajayi is coming off a major injury, so he's probably only gonna get a 1 year deal from somebody. The Eagles expected him to take over their backfield, but he never broke free of their 3-headed monster RB committee. I'm not sure he's the same guy who gouged us for 200 yards anymore.

If we hadn't already signed a vet, I'd be cool with adding him on a  prove it deal, but we'll likely draft a RB in the 3rd/4th who'll be cheaper & at least as good as Ajayi.

We have Ivory who basically the same player granted Ajayi is younger. Hes a two down banger who does little in the passing game.

We are paying Shady to carry the load and Gore too. Your 3rd RB should be cheap not expensive to sit on the bench. Makes no sense.

If we didnt have Shady then ya i wouldn't mind him but given our situation giving big money for a depth RB is silly

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think Bills will release Ivory, keep Shady and Gore, and then draft a RB in the 4th round.  I think they’re done in FA with the RB position.  JMO.

i agree, i think they'll draft Mike love in the later rounds