Full Intelligent Breakdown of DK Metcalf

Scorp83

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol...so guess that means you believe Beane had something to do with Woods and Goodwin too.  It’s total nonsense and this fake news story is played out of mixing Beane into McDs time with Whaley.  It’s comical it still persists.

Its also getting old that people keep stating we got rid of Woods (again before Beane was in Buffalo) when Woods himself said many times he wanted to come home to LA.  He did not want to resign here, had nothing to do with us “getting rid of him”.  

It also gets old watching people complain about Goodwin leaving when 97% of this board not only didn't want him, but didn't think he even belonged in the NFL.  Especially when many of the people complaining about him leaving are many of the same people who wanted him gone in the first place...and again, before Beane got here.

Nothing is inaccurate about what I said.  Facts are real...”McBeane” getting rid of woods and Goodwin is made up fan fiction.

And thanks for tip, but my life is neither bad nor boring, so guess I lucked out there and am pretty blessed ?

Not talking about how YOU see your own takes.    Energy vampires rarely see themselves as boring.?     

For instance.....do you really need two separate paragraphs to drone on entirely subjectively about Woods and Goodwin?

If you are going to be boring please keep it brief.

57 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not talking about how YOU see your own takes.    Energy vampires rarely see themselves as boring.?     

For instance.....do you really need two separate paragraphs to drone on entirely subjectively about Woods and Goodwin?

If you are going to be boring please keep it brief.

Im not the ones who needs it...I know what happened.  Others clearly do who cant seem to wrap their minds around the facts.  

And for someone is so bored, you sure are interjecting a lot into a convo that didn't involve you.  And like you said to me, its not good to go through life bad and boring...between your name and boredom, sounds like maybe a little self reflection? lol

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

I am in the school of thought that if we have a better offense that is on the field eating clock our defense as is will be very good. It's when they are on the field all day and wear down that they become susceptible. Improving our offense will improve our defense and keep them fresh. I like the direction of the team but I always like adding a playmaker or a guy with a specific skill set. DK has size and speed which can't be coached. Hands and concentration can be. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I like Ed Oliver and have been focusing on DL at nine. I think there are some fairly good wrs likely available in round two. If they go Metcalf, I'll be excited, while still feeling there's more risk there than I'd like. If he is in the conversation you allude to, you have to go get him for Josh.

Ed Oliver would be nice. I would be surprised if he was there at nine. It would be great if he was though.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/29/2019 at 3:33 PM, NewEraBills said:

Yes that Gettleman.  He drafted Benjamin.

wouldn't be surprised if he took dk at 6.  all the teams ahead of us need wr talent very much....especially the ones with young qbs that need to surround them with weapons...

ie. the jets, az and including oak, miami and detroit, so my point is at some time this draft there is gonna be a major run at wr.

do they start taking them high or wait til their high 2nd round picks who knows, but at least a few are gonna be drafted higher than most think.

If he's there at #9 I have no problem with it.  Seems they like to reach for the sky on their early picks and his ceiling is crazy.  Your taking about a huge, fast pass catcher with high point skills and a massive catch radius.  Cone drill is irrelevant  This isnt a jitter bug who needs to do double moves to get separation.

• Like (+1) 1

Route Running – Metcalf aligned almost exclusively on the outside of the offensive formation to the left-hand side. Playing out there in the SEC, he faced plenty of press or bump coverages. However, Metcalf had a ton of success with his press coverage releases. With footwork that can be a blur for his size, he would re-set the line of scrimmage and discard the jam with violent hands. Metcalf takes full advantage of his strength and length combination while facing press. With an arsenal of hand swipes and proper anticipation, he dominates the contact window. Extremely physical route runner at the top of his stems when he has to be, clearing space with violence. Consistently worked downhill towards the quarterback when necessary.

Metcalf showed acceleration after beating press coverage or on vertical cuts. Mostly operating on the vertical plane, he understands how to threaten side to side before continuing down the field. Makes a conscious effort to stack defensive backs right after his route breaks.

Metcalf has technique issues that limit his speed on curl and comeback breaks. He’ll rarely take the least amount of steps necessarily, needing to pause at the top of his route for a moment. Metcalf was rarely asked to run in-breaking routes in the Rebels offense, but there are enough examples on his film to suggest moderate success in that area moving forward.

Athleticism / Speed – Metcalf is an athletic specimen that doesn’t come around in the NFL Draft very often. He’s broadly built, with long, massive and chiseled arms. Few, if any players in the NFL can match his physique. Strength is evenly distributed throughout his body, and it regularly shows up on film. Metcalf’s long speed can be too fast for some cornerbacks to handle, as his stride length eats up grass in an instant.

There can be improvements in his change of direction and short-area quickness, but that is less of a concern for a player with Metcalf’s body type and play style.

Hands / Ball Skills – Through a seven game scouting sample, Metcalf has only two true drops. When he’s stationary or coming back towards the ball, he’s always making an effort to catch the ball away from his body. High point potential is massive because of his ability to extend over his head and the strength in his hands. Metcalf is already at Deandre Hopkins-level at using his hands to create late separation at the catch point. Consistent strong tucks into his body to finish possession style plays. Beautifully tracks the football and shows late hands, adjusting to any ball placement. 

Metcalf can allow the football to come into his body when working down the field, but generally only relies on this when he has space.

Body Control – Metcalf’s body control is sublime, as he can rise off of any platform. Consistently positions his body where he is shielding the defensive back from the catch point. 50/50 balls are closer to 80/20 with Metcalf. Will adjust and pick the ball up right off the turf well for a larger player. Works the boundary well, aware of the sideline and movements to remain inbounds.  

Ball Carrier – Metcalf is an absolute horse in the open field. Defenders view tackling Metcalf as a chore, and he effortlessly breaks tackles below his knees. Forces his way through tackles up around his chest, especially when he’s built up speed. Contact balance is evident, and the strength he unleashes as a ball carrier is mean. 

Metcalf will never be a shifty or elusive athlete in space, and is easier for defenders to take down when they don’t afford him space to get his massive frame up to full speed.

Stalk Blocking – Metcalf is generally a plus blocker, with the potential to be a dominant one because of his frame. Positive effort on the majority of plays. Metcalf has shown a strong re-coil and drive, and awareness to re-engage with defenders when they’re able to shake loose. Strong mitts when he’s able to get defensive backs in his grasp. 

The next step will be Metcalf being a more aggressive initiator of blocks, as he can get too patient and pause rather than working to collapse their space.

Versatility – Metcalf rarely aligned in a different position for Ole Miss other than the outside receiver on the left. With minimal reps in the slot or on the right side, there will be a learning curve for those positions. Additionally, his route tree was limited because of the offensive scheme. Running very few in-breaking routes or crossers, versatility is a major concern of Metcalf’s.

BEST TRAIT – Athleticism 

WORST TRAIT – Versatility

RED FLAGS – Neck injury ended 2018 season 

Metcalf physical gifts are unquestioned, as few human beings have his combination of size, strength and athleticism. For this reason, he has a truly elite ceiling. In a lot of phases of the game, he takes advantage of his physical traits. Whether releasing against press coverage, separating using physicality or his contact balance as a route runner, Metcalf uses his physical tools on a play to play basis.

There will likely be a transition period for Metcalf, as he grows accustomed to multiple alignments and finishes off his route tree. The traits he shows on film gives the indication that this transition period won’t hold back Metcalf for very long. He’s got the flexibility to perform more than what he was asked to do at Ole Miss.

Early in his career, he will immediately be a red zone threat and accuracy fixer with his hands and ball skills. Down the line, his ceiling is that of the premiere wide receiver in the National Football League.

• Like (+1) 3

I dont think it's a question if Buffalo would draft him at 9.  I think it's a question of will he be available at 9.  If he is not one of those stud dlineman will be and I think that's a win for Buffalo as well.  

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

I've changed my mind a bit on DK. After the combine, I was thinking too much of a risk and I didn't like poor performance on 3-cone drill and quickness tests, etc. I've come back round to thinking if Q Williams doesn't fall within striking range and Ed Oliver is gone, I take my shot with Metcalf. Some may say if you're going offensive playmaker at nine, why not Hockenson? I think a transcendent WR moves the needle more than a very good TE. If Metcalf can be the next Moss, Josh Allen is going to throw him a lot of TDs. All that said, N'keal Harry in the second is a safer WR pick.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

To me he is David Boston 2.0.

All that skill, but lack of college production is very worrisome.

With that said...............

just like with ANY prospect...........

if the Bills draft him. who am I to argue with the pick.

On 3/30/2019 at 11:25 AM, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I am in the school of thought that if we have a better offense that is on the field eating clock our defense as is will be very good. It's when they are on the field all day and wear down that they become susceptible. Improving our offense will improve our defense and keep them fresh. I like the direction of the team but I always like adding a playmaker or a guy with a specific skill set. DK has size and speed which can't be coached. Hands and concentration can be. 

I wouldn't dislike DK at 9, but I disagree with the notion that the defense doesn't need upgrades/potential replacements, namely pass rushers.

The Bills were actually middle of the pack in the T.O.P category, so I don't believe that excuses the issues the defense had in the sack/red zone/turnover department. I think they're another pass rusher away from being "set."

On 4/3/2019 at 10:34 PM, Mat68 said:

I dont think it's a question if Buffalo would draft him at 9.  I think it's a question of will he be available at 9.  If he is not one of those stud dlineman will be and I think that's a win for Buffalo as well.  

I'll put money on,  not only is Metcalf available at nine,  but hell be available into the teens and might not even be the first WR taken.

On 4/5/2019 at 9:46 PM, njbuff said:

To me he is David Boston 2.0.

All that skill, but lack of college production is very worrisome.

With that said...............

just like with ANY prospect...........

if the Bills draft him. who am I to argue with the pick.

WGR had alot of Ol Miss coaches & beat reporters since the combine aired. His lack of production wasn't more on DK... but the coaching staff... by the time they actually figured out how good he was... they've already had their offensive game plan running through AJ Brown. 

Now even though I've started this thread... & I'm still on the DK hype train... I've come more & more to love AJ Brown... & have done so much research on him...its not healthy to me & my family ???

AJ Brown is the best WR in this draft & if we can somehow trade back...man he will be a Superstar! Faster then DK... it might take DK 3 years... AJ might take 1-2 years! Plus don't listen anyone that says "he can only play the slot" ... after everything I've saw... I think he can play the outside just was well!!!

26 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

DK Metcalf is in Buffalo for another workout with the Bills

Hey man if they take him at 9 I would be in awe of Beane and McDermott. Them boys love them some prototypical size lol

Yes they dude...that was one of my arguments. The Josh Allen draft is all the proof you need... they love the big athletic kid with the raw upside potential. 

• Like (+1) 1