Full Intelligent Breakdown of DK Metcalf

Scorp83

8 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

I'm not a fan of him for our team simply because I think we have 4 guys that have proven themselves to be able to get separation and move the chains, and I can't stop thinking about how embarrassing it was when the Patriots were simply handing off the ball and Sony Michel and Burkhead etc. gashed us for almost 300 yards, over 6 ypc.

You can have three Julio Joneses and still not win a game with that kind of defense. 

We just can't ignore that kind of shredding, and if we're in a position to land a game changing defensive guy who can help us stop the run I believe we need to do it.  

U can't knee jerk to one example of getting our butt whipped by the Pat's.  If your looking for help look to free agency if your looking for difference makers then look to the draft. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

U can't knee jerk to one example of getting our butt whipped by the Pat's.  If your looking for help look to free agency if your looking for difference makers then look to the draft. 

We were successful as a D against a lot of good passing teams. Think those teams will not bother looking at the tape of how the Patsies killed us? It's a definite issue, and has been with our D in both the last two years.

Back to the OP. I can see where the guy is coming from, and he makes a good case for drafting Metcalfe pretty high. Like, late first round, to me. For all he does make good points, there are too many iffs and buts around system/QB and coaching, for me to want to take him any earlier.

For sure, you can take a chance on the superior athleticism, but you aren't getting superior production, from his history. The talent is there, the production to back it up, isn't. I'm not taking that much of a gamble, on a non QB with a top ten draft pick, when there could be a bona fide blue chipper dropping to me.

6 hours ago, bills11 said:

DK just the video says can definitely be successful in the right system and with the right Quarterback. My comparison for him is Dez bryant but he is more explosive.

Dez was never a Good route runner..but was able to be productive catching jump balls slants and deep passes but it takes a Seasoned qb to be able to get production out of those type of players often times they wont have much separation but will still be open given their catch radius and body position. Its why Dak struggled throwing him the ball and why his preferred option was beasley or witten...Romo was obviously more seasoned and more able to understand the nuances of passing.

I thought that too... but when I saw him do a few slants & 10 yard ins ....I said "Dez can't do that as smooth" I think he's a better route runner then Dez. He may not move like Beasley & Edelman...but neither can, Julio, Megatron & Mike Evans. 

That was the point of that video... your not drafting him to fix what he can't do, plus the Bills have people for those kinda routes, your drafting him to continue to build his strengths of what he can do (slants, curls, screens, posts & 9 routes). I think that's more then enough to make him one of the best of the NFL. We don't need him to do comeback routes...which is why most WR's don't do the 3 cone drill. 

35 minutes ago, jdonley1180 said:

Ive read Dez Bryant comparisons, Calvin Johnson comparisons.... Does anyone remember Stephen Hill?

Yea...& he couldn't do half the routes DK has on film... 9 routes... that's all he had. 

Like the video showed... DK literally ran slants, curls, screens, posts & 9 routes... fluently at that. 

Edited by Scorp83
Typo

12 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Right, because I’m sure the Bills’ coaching staff and front office have no idea who he is or what talent he may possess...

Gruden in Washington doesn’t have to worry about such things as what players are going to be on his team.

Bruce Allen takes that weight off his shoulders.

What a good guy Bruce Allen is!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 2

He's an interesting prospect and thanks for the video. It's a little too much boom or bust for me, but with the way free agency has gone, at this point a Metcalf pick really wouldn't bother me to much. My fear is that you might be passing on some elite defensive players to take Metcalf. 

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’m just giving you *****. 

Here’s my challenge.  Find a receiver who was a combine warrior, didn’t have the actual college stats, but went on to have a stellar career. 

There may be some, that’s why I’m asking. 

To me, a guy who isn’t fluid with routes, has injury issues, and didn’t light it up in college makes me want to stay away from the guy 

I tend to agree.

I watched the video, and he made some good points, and perhaps he is the next megatron...

But I see a guy with "concentration" problems, doesn't have great hands, and who never cracked 1000yds (less than 600 on 26 catches last year) in college. The guy in the vid makes a case for DK because of the bad system and QB, but their leading reciever (Brown) had 85 catches for over 1300yds. DK was the THIRD most productive reciever on his own team. That scares the ***** out of me.

the guy cant change direction and get separation.

greedy Williams totally dominated him in the LSU game.  every team has a player as good as greedy

he wasn't even the best WR on his own team.

john brown ran 4.34  //  Metcalf 4.33

the WR position has the highest bust rate of first round picks

15 hours ago, JM57 said:

You can fall in love with him if you want, but you cannot deny that pinning the hopes of your offense on not one, but two key players with both a very low floor and very high ceiling is not smart. You're taking two huge risks by adding Metcalf to the mix with Allen. 

I disagree with the idea that Metcalf is a low floor guy. I actually think that, injuries aside (which you and I simply don't have the access to know about), he's a very high floor WR prospect, much like I thought Allen had a much higher floor than people realized.

Edited by DCOrange

13 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I gotta say I was very adamant about not wanting DK. Like fiercely opposed. Honestly, after watching the video I wouldn’t be that mad. 

Weird to say but the guy makes an excellent argument. 

Did you watch the video? I felt the same way. Even if you still don’t want him, you have to say it’s at least intriguing 

Hey Bobby I got this great deal on timeshare nice condo in Venezuela , don’t say NO just yet I’ll send you a video, watch it and then let me know!!!

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well, if it’s an intelligent breakdown, then I’m all in!

Edit: Nope. Just as slanted as every other article about him. He’s an athlete, but not a football player. Pass.

It's NOT an intelligent breakdown at all. It's total fluff that tries to make him look good when he's not. 

13 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

It's wild but I feel like Metcalf's best place to land is here with Josh Allen

The Chiefs are going to trade up ( with us ) to get him ?

And we end up taking another CB at 28/29?

Edited by Putin

52 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

"Calvin Johnson never ran a 3 cone drill either at the combine or his pro day."    I also heard a while ago that Randy Moss ran a poor 3 cone drill.

Calvin and Randy produced in college. DK did not so these are HORRIBLE comparisons and a disrespect to Moss and Calvin.

• Like (+1) 1