What am I missing about Jared Cook?

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Methinks the lack of interest begins and ends with the fact that they plan to draft a tight end (or two) fairly high. Draftee/Kroft/Croom/Draftee (or UDFA)

That's precisely my reasoning though:

Hock or Fant, etc. - Cook - Kroft = Wow

Hock of Fant, etc - Kroft - Croom = Pretty damn good

#2-3 pick - Cook - Kroft = Pretty damn good and maybe wow.

#2-3 pick - Kroft - Croom = Pretty damn iffy and maybe good

#4-5 pick - Cook - Kroft = Still pretty decent

#4-5 pick - Kroft - Croom = Ugh

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That may be why no one has given him a big contract, and neither would I, but I believe we are past that point now. So he can be had for a reasonable deal, and we have Kroft as the willing blocker and dual threat.

Cook, Kroft and Hock would be fantastic. And there would be room for them.

Say Cook, Kroft, Hock five times fast.

57 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly. 

Top TE's are guys who are receiving matchup nightmares.  Teams aren't using them for their great blocking skills or "dual threats".

I would say you have to be one or the other.

Some schemes value the versatility of a great blocking dual threat te, while that is clearly overlooked if the te is a matchup nightmare in the receiving game.

-dual threat

Or 

-matchup nightmare

Cook is neither.

He's a below average blocker and an above average receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

I would say you have to be one or the other.

Some schemes value the versatility of a great blocking dual threat te, while that is clearly overlooked if the te is a matchup nightmare in the receiving game.

-dual threat

Or 

-matchup nightmare

Cook is neither.

He's a below average blocker and an above average receiver.

I agree.

The reason he's not attractive isn't because he's not a dual threat---it's because he's not a threat as a receiver.  

Any team is going to take a great receiver/mediocre blocker over the inverse.

• Like (+1) 1

Idk, I think Croom is still a work in progress and may just explode soon. He has soft hands and runs good patterns. His dropsies seem to be a thing of the past as his experience and confidence really grew last season. 

Hes a ‘process guy’ McDermott has tossed flowers at on occasion. He may be better suited to being off the edge and in a 2pt stance, but he’s getting valuable reps in tight, which should translate to more effective inside blocking. I expect him to make it difficult to part ways with him, if they do.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

Methinks the lack of interest begins and ends with the fact that they plan to draft a tight end (or two) fairly high. Draftee/Kroft/Croom/Draftee (or UDFA)

I only know the top names, but I keep hearing it’s supposed to be a deep class. I agree, it appears they plan to add to the position through the draft. Maybe one fairly early then one in the later rounds where we have a couple picks. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I agree.

The reason he's not attractive isn't because he's not a dual threat---it's because he's not a threat as a receiver.  

Any team is going to take a great receiver/mediocre blocker over the inverse.

Exactly.

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Idk, I think Croom is still a work in progress and may just explode soon. He has soft hands and runs good patterns. His dropsies seem to be a thing of the past as his experience and confidence really grew last season. 

Hes a ‘process guy’ McDermott has tossed flowers at on occasion. He may be better suited to being off the edge and in a 2pt stance, but he’s getting valuable reps in tight, which should translate to more effective inside blocking. I expect him to make it difficult to part ways with him, if the do.

I agree.

He just turned 25 and has some really good receiving upside.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Hes a ‘process guy’ McDermott has tossed flowers at on occasion. He may be better suited to being off the edge and in a 2pt stance, but he’s getting valuable reps in tight, which should translate to more effective inside blocking. I expect him to make it difficult to part ways with him, if they do.

I agree, I think he has potential. He’s needs to learn not to get the ball stripped fighting for an extra 6 inches, but there’s something about the guy I like. He’s athletic and for some reason I seem to like him more than the average fan does. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BobChalmers said:

They're going to draft Hock.

Not at 9 they won't.   I just can't imaging the Bills big board has him ahead of Ferrell, Oliver, etc.   

But in a trade back (or a trade up late in the first) I could see them grabbing him.   I think Daboll's opinion of Irv at TE is a huge factor here.  He knows him extremely well from his time at Bama and we may have him ahead of where other teams do (or behind).

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Believe it or not, teams watch film! All joking aside, this play from late this past season is already infamous: 

Carr was already “WTFing” just after the INT. Throwing your hands up in exasperation with your receiver during the play is not a good look for a QB. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Carr was already “WTFing” just after the INT. Throwing your hands up in exasperation with your receiver during the play is not a good look for a QB. 

Not to mention that Carr was looking right at Cook, who had already loafed and stopped, with his back to the ball, before Carr threw it. Granted, sometimes it's impossible to tell from replays on things like that, but Carr just threw it without seeing Cook, and could very well have blown up because he knew he blew it, too.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think Allen showed remarkable restraint with KB last year. Really. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Are Gronk and Kelce great blocking TE's?  Ertz?  Olsen?

Gronk has been a brilliant blocking tight end, though has been used less to do that as the injuries totted up. Olsen in his prime was a pretty good blocker too. 

Kelce at best you might say is passable. 

Ertz couldn't block a baby. 

I think you either have to be a tight end that can be used almost as a receiver (like those 4 and early career Jimmy Graham) or you have to be a dual guy. Someone like Cook who is a decent receiver but not a game changer and a below average blocker has a smaller market. 

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not to mention that Carr was looking right at Cook, who had already loafed and stopped, with his back to the ball, before Carr threw it. Granted, sometimes it's impossible to tell from replays on things like that, but Carr just threw it without seeing Cook, and could very well have blown up because he knew he blew it, too.

Carr sucks.