What am I missing about Jared Cook?

I think Cook is kind of in a league of his own in that he really is JUST a big receiver.

The other tight ends being debated are at least serviceable blockers.

When you combine his utter lack of blocking with his age, it kind of makes sense that he hasn't gotten a deal.. He's like a much, much better Croom. Not that he can't contribute to an NFL team(even ours for the right price.) Just helps to explain his true market value.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

It could be argued that Gronk is the ONLY good blocker among good pass catching TEs at the moment, and I think he'll retire. The other good pass-catching TE who comes to mind as a good run blocker is Delanie Walker, but he missed basically all of last season and is old. He may in fact be done; he'll be 35 when the 2019 season begins and he's coming off a serious, Theisman-esque injury to boot. 

Dual threats at the position are very hard to find.

There are two ways to get a TE free in coverage in the NFL:

1) utilize him as a blocker enough that teams can't just match him up with a good CB

2) bombard the field with other weapons so that teams can't just match him up with a good CB

In short........if a good CB is on him he's dead in the water.

Nowadays even some safeties and LB's can cover well enough to neutralize TE's.

Yet every spring we get the hand wringing here from someone about the team not ever spending a first round pick on a position that needs the defense to be caught with their pants down to get open.

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:
  1. He hasn't signed yet so I doubt he is going to get serious money.
  2. I know he is older but I am thinking just a 2-3 year deal.
  3. He is a solid player who can open up the field for the WR and RBs.
  4. Kroft is a solid #2 and weak #1.
  5. Croom is average at best.
  6. A trio of Cook, Kroft and a 3-4 round draft pick with a lot of potential seems very good to me, and if they don't get a TE in the first four rounds we still have Croom as the #3.
  7. We have a lot of money left and not a lot of guys to spend it on barring a big trade.
  8. Cook and Kroft together, along with our two speed guys, Brown and Foster, on the outside, plus Beasley, makes for a lot of possibilities and interchangeable parts in what Daboll likes to do.

I think we are pretty much done with those types of signings.  We are looking for bargains or for somebody elite to come available. (That Clowney guy we are noy interested in)

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Yeah, but ... "not a process guy" is my working assumption. To reiterate, that play was a big deal. Carr blew up at  him, and rightly so.

To be fair, that team was a disaster last year, I find it hard likely no one was really playing that hard especially through the end of the year

14 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not to mention that Carr was looking right at Cook, who had already loafed and stopped, with his back to the ball, before Carr threw it. Granted, sometimes it's impossible to tell from replays on things like that, but Carr just threw it without seeing Cook, and could very well have blown up because he knew he blew it, too.

... and this is comment right here is why  Cook is a problem in the eyes of teams, I think. Multiple people here who frankly should know better are blaming the QB (and somehow deciphering a character flaw to boot!) despite the fact that a) it was entirely Cook’s fault and b) carr made the correct read and throw because he had gotten Cook in single coverage against a smaller defender. 

I don’t think a GM like Beane (and other GMs with young qbs) who are trying to build confidence and faith in their qb among coaches, teammates, the media, and fans want a guy who can stir up the sort controversy that sucks in the qb, who in any event should clearly  be held blameless when something like this happens.

Edited by dave mcbride

14 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He really does. Will be fun to see what Antonio acts like when they lose and he is getting crappy balls thrown to him. He doesn't know how good he had it at Pitts.

Antonio Brown is going to be in for a rude awakening when he sees the difference between a first ballot HOF quarterback who can keep plays alive forever to let his receivers run open and make big plays because no DB can stay with receivers that long. Big Ben to Carr. Talk about penthouse to the outhouse. 

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

... and this is comment right here is why  Cook is a problem in the eyes of teams, I think. Multiple people here who frankly should know better are blaming the QB (and somehow deciphering a character flaw to boot!) despite the fact that a) it was entirely Cook’s fault and b) carr made the correct read and throw because he had gotten Cook in single coverage against a smaller defender. 

I don’t think a GM like Beane (and other GMs with young qbs) who are trying to build confidence and faith in their qb among coaches, teammates, the media, and fans want a guy who can stir up the sort controversy that sucks in the qb, who in any event should clearly  be held blameless when something like this happens.

I think you’re probably right about Cook. Don’t agree that Carr is entirely blameless. Yes he made the right read, but it looks to me that he had time to see Cook wasn’t running or paying attention and threw it anyway. That is not blameless despite Cook’s intolerable pattern. 

Watch it again. It’s also a terrible pass. He doesn’t move his feet at all when he had time. He lobbed it. He didn’t throw it out. And the DB was right there all the time. It was a horrendous pass. 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think you’re probably right about Cook. Don’t agree that Carr is entirely blameless. Yes he made the right read, but it looks to me that he had time to see Cook wasn’t running or paying attention and threw it anyway. That is not blameless despite Cook’s intolerable pattern. 

Watch it again. It’s also a terrible pass. He doesn’t move his feet at all when he had time. He lobbed it. He didn’t throw it out. And the DB was right there all the time. It was a horrendous pass. 

??? It seems to me that he was clearly expecting him to square in, and he placed it high where only Cook could get it. It looks like a perfectly fine--albeit garden-variety--throw to me. Carr actually had a pretty good season, btw, and played well late. His passer rating in the four previous games was 106.2, and he hadn't thrown a single pick in the previous NINE games. 

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He's no good and we don't need him but the Saints and Seth Peyton, who know a thing or 22 about offense are about to sign him. 

He'll be the worst ***** 1000 yard 70 catch tight 10 TD tight end in the league with Brees.  A piece of crap if you ask me.

On 3/18/2019 at 3:51 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

Let me think about that no.

Gronk can block.  IMO some of his blocking was key to NE championship this year.

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm sure he will.

Hes banging the owners daughter. He's a lock.?

That would be....unfortunate if true.

People who own several businesses can easily find a good job for a guy, they don't need to influence FO or coaching decisions to make him one of 53 men on an NFL roster.

You're certainly not alone KtD, I hear him come up all the time in my sports feed and many analysts are puzzled he's not with the Raiders, let alone hasn't been signed by any other team yet. I'd jump all over this guy.

EDIT: Sounds like NO.. great pickup. Still confused why it took as long. Curious what his contract is.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P