What am I missing about Jared Cook?

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Jmo, but I don’t think the dual capabilities are what drives the TE market today. Yes, of course teams are ever searching for it, but today, the majority of TEs are either/or. That’s what has brought a rise in H-Backs and resurgent FBs. Every team has their short yardage O which may include O or D linemen. Basically, if Gronkowski isn’t available, pick your poison -a huge target for your QB, a solid blocker who won’t pose a real threat downfield or Dawkins/Kyle slipping out into the flat. 

or Hock, from Iowa :)   But your point is spot on!!   I can't think of a true dual-threat who is a TE who can score 10+ TD's and block.  The best "dual-threat" of the last decade or so may have been Heath Miller. 

Edited by RyanC883

30 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Idk, I think Croom is still a work in progress and may just explode soon. He has soft hands and runs good patterns. His dropsies seem to be a thing of the past as his experience and confidence really grew last season. 

Hes a ‘process guy’ McDermott has tossed flowers at on occasion. He may be better suited to being off the edge and in a 2pt stance, but he’s getting valuable reps in tight, which should translate to more effective inside blocking. I expect him to make it difficult to part ways with him, if they do.

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

I agree, I think he has potential. He’s needs to learn not to get the ball stripped fighting for an extra 6 inches, but there’s something about the guy I like. He’s athletic and for some reason I seem to like him more than the average fan does. 

Soft hands

Confidence really grew last season

Needs to learn not to get the ball stripped

Fighting for an extra 6 inches

May explode soon

Is this the owner's daughter's scouting report on the kid?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

He really does. Will be fun to see what Antonio acts like when they lose and he is getting crappy balls thrown to him. He doesn't know how good he had it at Pitts.

Gruden will keep whispering "hang in there AB, count that money....and wait for Trevor..sshhhhh"

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He really does. Will be fun to see what Antonio acts like when they lose and he is getting crappy balls thrown to him. He doesn't know how good he had it at Pitts. 

yeah, Ben throwing you the ball, with a great OL, run game, and other WR's.  Now AB has??   an average QB.  and zero run game to take pressure off him. 

Howdy! Been lurking for a while and finally decided to chime in.

Like many others on here, at 9, that feels too much for Hock. I’d like to trade back to around 14 and get him there. Then in the 2nd you can get a OT and WR.

Of course, if you get a TE at 9 or 14, you have to consider him at close to a gronk level of TE.

Then we could run a 2 TE offense with basically 7 blockers on running downs for shady to run... Then on passing downs you have TE/LB mismatches to take advantage of. 

16 minutes ago, hjnick said:

Howdy! Been lurking for a while and finally decided to chime in.

Like many others on here, at 9, that feels too much for Hock. I’d like to trade back to around 14 and get him there. Then in the 2nd you can get a OT and WR.

Of course, if you get a TE at 9 or 14, you have to consider him at close to a gronk level of TE.

Then we could run a 2 TE offense with basically 7 blockers on running downs for shady to run... Then on passing downs you have TE/LB mismatches to take advantage of. 

Welcome aboard!

5 minutes ago, mattynh said:

1.  I would not assume a guy who has not signed will not get good money.  

2.  Remember Gary Barnidge?  

He didn't get very good money. More than he was worth, and way more than he was worth in retrospect, but he didn't get a ridiculous contract at all. In fact, it was an extension for 4m a year, not a FA contract. He took less than he likely would have made on open market. Maybe you are thinking of Cameron, who signed with the Dolphins after Clay signed with the Bills but it wasn't a huge deal either.

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:
  1. He hasn't signed yet so I doubt he is going to get serious money.
  2. I know he is older but I am thinking just a 2-3 year deal.
  3. He is a solid player who can open up the field for the WR and RBs.
  4. Kroft is a solid #2 and weak #1.
  5. Croom is average at best.
  6. A trio of Cook, Kroft and a 3-4 round draft pick with a lot of potential seems very good to me, and if they don't get a TE in the first four rounds we still have Croom as the #3.
  7. We have a lot of money left and not a lot of guys to spend it on barring a big trade.
  8. Cook and Kroft together, along with our two speed guys, Brown and Foster, on the outside, plus Beasley, makes for a lot of possibilities and interchangeable parts in what Daboll likes to do.

I found what you're missing.

I'm guessing Cook wants a lot of money coming off his career year. But he's older and he can't block. It appears that guys like Kroft, James are the ones getting paid in free agency because they can do both and are still young. I don't like Croom, but he is essentially a younger, MUCH cheaper version of Cook. His career has been up and down and he racked up some stats on a terrible team and he made that one huge catch for the Packers that time. I've always been very eh on Cook and I'm guessing teams have as well becuase no one has committed to him.  

7 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

At one point in time Cook had Aaron Rodgers as his QB ....  If Aaron Rodgers can't do anything with you, can any QB ?

That really doesn't mean anything.  Last year at 31 he had his best season with 6 tds and nearly 900 yards. Carr who is clearly inferior to Aaron was throwing to him.

39 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I'm guessing Cook wants a lot of money coming off his career year. But he's older and he can't block. It appears that guys like Kroft, James are the ones getting paid in free agency because they can do both and are still young. I don't like Croom, but he is essentially a younger, MUCH cheaper version of Cook. His career has been up and down and he racked up some stats on a terrible team and he made that one huge catch for the Packers that time. I've always been very eh on Cook and I'm guessing teams have as well becuase no one has committed to him.  

Same MrEps. I have never been a Cook guy and he seems to be a FA every year. 

• Like (+1) 2