What am I missing about Jared Cook?

1. He hasn't signed yet so I doubt he is going to get serious money.
  2. I know he is older but I am thinking just a 2-3 year deal.
  3. He is a solid player who can open up the field for the WR and RBs.
  4. Kroft is a solid #2 and weak #1.
  5. Croom is average at best.
  6. A trio of Cook, Kroft and a 3-4 round draft pick with a lot of potential seems very good to me, and if they don't get a TE in the first four rounds we still have Croom as the #3.
  7. We have a lot of money left and not a lot of guys to spend it on barring a big trade.
  8. Cook and Kroft together, along with our two speed guys, Brown and Foster, on the outside, plus Beasley, makes for a lot of possibilities and interchangeable parts in what Daboll likes to do.
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:
  1. He hasn't signed yet so I doubt he is going to get serious money.
  2. I know he is older but I am thinking just a 2-3 year deal.
  3. He is a solid player who can open up the field for the WR and RBs.
  4. Kroft is a solid #2 and weak #1.
  5. Croom is average at best.
  6. A trio of Cook, Kroft and a 3-4 round draft pick with a lot of potential seems very good to me, and if they don't get a TE in the first four rounds we still have Croom as the #3.
  7. We have a lot of money left and not a lot of guys to spend it on barring a big trade.
  8. Cook and Kroft together, along with our two speed guys, Brown and Foster, on the outside, plus Beasley, makes for a lot of possibilities and interchangeable parts in what Daboll likes to do.

...interesting assessment I found........valid or not bud?.......

"According to Pro Football Focus, Cook graded out as a below-average run blocker in 2018. As we have seen in the early parts of free agency, it’s the “complete” tight ends who are getting paid and not the receiving tight ends. At this stage of his career, it’s unlikely Cook is going to change. In fact, he may only get worse as a blocker as his athleticism fades. "

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just don't think the NFL is THAT interested in Tight Ends that don't block.  Fans look at TE now solely as a receiving position.  I just don't think the rest of the NFL does the same.  After all, if they just wanted a guy that was good for 6 to 800 yards and was super tall, they would just draft a WR.  The TEs value is the dual threat ability.  Cook isn't much of a dual threat.  

• Like (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting assessment I found........valid or not bud?.......

"According to Pro Football Focus, Cook graded out as a below-average run blocker in 2018. As we have seen in the early parts of free agency, it’s the “complete” tight ends who are getting paid and not the receiving tight ends. At this stage of his career, it’s unlikely Cook is going to change. In fact, he may only get worse as a blocker as his athleticism fades. "

That may be why no one has given him a big contract, and neither would I, but I believe we are past that point now. So he can be had for a reasonable deal, and we have Kroft as the willing blocker and dual threat.

Just now, BobChalmers said:

They're going to draft Hock.

Cook, Kroft and Hock would be fantastic. And there would be room for them.

• Like (+1) 3

You're missing nothing. That dude can play. Has some nasty in him too. If he's not trying to leverage his 2018 season too much I'd love to see him in a Bills uni, unless the braintrust is looking to use a very early draft pick on a blue chip prospect after a trade down (which I doubt - they are going DT IMO).

• Like (+1) 1

I think teams look at him as fool's gold.  His career has been pretty disappointing up until this season, when he was the #1 target in Oakland.  His blocking is below average and it sounds like he wants to be paid as a top TE.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

When he wants to be, yes, he is very good, and when he is available. So half the time he is a good blocker.

This is a weird response.  I don't really understand what you are driving at.  The original point is that the best TEs are also good blockers.  Gronk is a great example of that. Kelce is also a really good blocker, but Gronk is better.  What does playing time have to do with anything? 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly. 

Top TE's are guys who are receiving matchup nightmares.  Teams aren't using them for their great blocking skills or "dual threats".

It's great to have but there are so few of them, like none, except Gronk when he wants to be and is healthy, which ain't often.