At What Temps Do You Set Your Thermostat

Gugny

Not a temperature setting, but we’ve stayed at a couple places lately with heated floors in the master bath. That can spoil you quickly! We are renovating one bath now and will probably tackle the master bath within a year....and that’s pretty tempting! Seems like it could be a nightmare if anything goes wrong under your tile floor. Curious if anyone has any experience. 

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

yup, 80 for both locations all year round

nobody believes it but i have a temp gauge in both, they still don't believe it

they drain out the humidity in the summer and it's nice for the winter

Ok just making sure it's not a Canadian/Celsius conversion thing. LOL 

One burns more brown fat (belly fat), leading to better weight maintenance and better sleep at colder temps.

https://www.chilitechnology.com/blogs/chili-technology-blog/sleeping-cold-burns-more-belly-fat

Also... A 200# man will burn about 100kcal an hour sleeping.  75kcal if awake and watching TV.  Oh... And don't forget the socks:

https://www.healthline.com/health/sleeping-with-socks-on#takeaway

And now you know, the rest of the story.

13 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

No...just incoming missiles.  ?

And tsunami sirens.

2 hours ago, teef said:

my god...aren't you people freezing?

No. It's warmer in my house in summer than when I heat in winter.

?

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Augie said:

Not a temperature setting, but we’ve stayed at a couple places lately with heated floors in the master bath. That can spoil you quickly! We are renovating one bath now and will probably tackle the master bath within a year....and that’s pretty tempting! Seems like it could be a nightmare if anything goes wrong under your tile floor. Curious if anyone has any experience. 

I'm seeing them more and more, have been in presentations about them, it is nice. They say the science behind why it's better is that if your feet are warm, the rest of your body will feel warmer, so you dont need as much heat.

I was just in a place talking to a guy installing heated floors throughout (this house also has in floor heat in the garage, the back patio, and the driveway), they installer said he has one shot to test and make sure its right cause once they pour the mortar/concrete subflooring you cant fix the piping. 

I think the electric heaters would be more of an issue and can see them breaking down more then the water systems. Most people use it as supplemental heat in certain areas or rooms so I'm sure many would just not use it if it did t work, or they would be looking at a major reno to replace it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I'm seeing them more and more, have been in presentations about them, it is nice. They say the science behind why it's better is that if your feet are warm, the rest of your body will feel warmer, so you dont need as much heat.

I was just in a place talking to a guy installing heated floors throughout (this house also has in floor heat in the garage, the back patio, and the driveway), they installer said he has one shot to test and make sure its right cause once they pour the mortar/concrete subflooring you cant fix the piping. 

I think the electric heaters would be more of an issue and can see them breaking down more then the water systems. Most people use it as supplemental heat in certain areas or rooms so I'm sure many would just not use it if it did t work, or they would be looking at a major reno to replace it.

Read my link about warm feet, faster sleep, above. 

Radiant baseboard, floor heat is sweet.  Old way of doing things.  Forced air blows.

We have built the last three houses we've lived in, so I had a lot to say about the HVAC stuff.

Radiant floor heating is really nice, but it is expensive and limits your choice of flooring.

You could do the research yourself, but using some tile product is vastly different than carpeting or wood flooring.

Did geothermal in the second house. Very nice, especially in the Virginia summers, since it is extremely good at de-humidification.

We always had our ac set at 76, and it felt much cooler than any neighbors at 74.

Would have done it again, but it suddenly got really expensive.

Heat pumps are great for ac, and OK for heat until you get to 40, and I don't care what they say. Below 40, it just doesn't handle it.

Wood isn't comfortable. We've done that before, though a woodstove in California, not as a primary heat source, but just to make one room really cozy.  Too dry and dirty.

LP is OK for a fireplace, but doesn't put out nearly as many BTU's as NatGas.

Anyway, that's my experience.

Edited by sherpa
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Read my link about warm feet, faster sleep, above. 

Radiant baseboard, floor heat is sweet.  Old way of doing things.  Forced air blows.

Yes, if it didn’t..... it wouldn’t work.    ?

1 hour ago, Augie said:

2013 we had the master bathroom totally remodeled.  Heated floors and a walk in shower.  The heated floor has a timer controller and it is great.  The controller starts the heat at 4Am and shuts off at 7AM.  Alarm goes off at 5AM, so the floor is nice and warm by then.  We have had no problems (knock on wood)  and the cats LOVE the warm floor.  We have a contractor who knows what he is doing so that helps too.  The controller Brand same is AUBE.    www.aubetech.com.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, sherpa said:

We have built the last three houses we've lived in, so I had a lot to say about the HVAC stuff.

Radiant floor heating is really nice, but it is expensive and limits your choice of flooring.

You could do the research yourself, but using some tile product is vastly different than carpeting or wood flooring.

Did geothermal in the second house. Very nice, especially in the Virginia summers, since it is extremely good at de-humidification.

We always had our ac set at 76, and it felt much cooler than any neighbors at 74.

Heat pumps are great for ac, and OK for heat until you get to 40, and I don't care what they say. Below 40, it just doesn't handle it.

Wood isn't comfortable. We've done that before, though a woodstove in California, not as a primary heat source, but just to make one room really cozy.  Too dry and dirty.

Good info. Never thought about flooring options. We are talking about building (probably a pipe dream) and would want almost exclusively wood floors. That’s a must. 

We have a townhouse we rent to our son and had to recently replace the heat pump. It was time, but it can’t handle the occasional 20 degree nights here. 

My sister has a place in Killington, VT with a wood stove. Last time I was there, it was well below zero and we were sleeping on the top floor. All that heat rose and we had to open a window to sleep at night! Heated the whole place that sleeps like 14! 

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Ok just making sure it's not a Canadian/Celsius conversion thing. LOL 

I’m old enough to use non-metric measurement, its way better for an individual to do this

HEAT (When Temps Outside Are Below 40):

• At home during day:  67
  • At home whilst sleeping:  64
  • Away from home:  64

AIR CONDITIONING (When Temps Outside Are Above 75):

• At home during day:  70
  • At  home whilst sleeping:  68
  • Away from home:  75

I’m too lazy to adjust my stat a couple times a day. I admit it. Winter/summer. I can barely handle that, but the new stat downstairs now has a range. Keep it 69-78, regardless of season, and I’m happy! 

If we go away for a week, I can see adjusting....if my wife bothers to do it. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No AC

68 day

62 sleep

Way way to friggin hot!! I would be sweating my ass off.

If you take out the humidity 80 is good In the summer up here

Frozen air forcing down to 70 is horrible 

14 hours ago, sherpa said:

we have two heat pumps and air handlers, (i have no idea what i'm talking about, so ignore me if i'm way off) and the new one we have a great.  the ones that were presents when we moved in were way to anemic, and could never heat the house properly.  we have a weird situation where we're all electric, and the electric is cheap.  we do have a propane tank, but not the large ones to heat the house.    the only time it gets pricey is if it drops to below 10 or so for extended periods of time.  then it will run constantly, and we can have bills in the $450-500 range.  that being said, we crank the air in summer, have our pool set to 87-90, and it may cost me $200 a month.

• At home during day:  74
  • At home whilst sleeping:  67
  • Away from home:  67 ( I have cats that prevent me from going colder)

I just have window units, I just turn them on till I'm comfortable

During the winter, I keep the house at 74, mainly because my house is heated from the attic, since I have no basement. It isn't warm enough in the house when sitting on the couch or something, unless it is at 74. My bills aren't really that high. I may have one that gets to $200, but I expect and prepare for it. November, December and March Bills usually hover around $100. After that, its nothing but $50 or less ones.

All controlled by Nest..One heat pump for each of two levels, gas furnace auto kicks on below 40.

• At home during day:  68
  • At home whilst sleeping:  65
  • Away from home:  62

• At home during day:  76
  • At  home whilst sleeping:  70
  • Away from home:  80

I am with the folks who can not believe someone has the heat set to 80 during the winter..I would come in and immediately have to change into shorts and a t-shirt, and then change back again when going outside...67 is perfect when the weather outside is below 55 or so. 

I say we are heat and cool free between 60 and 78...windows open is all

Edited by plenzmd1