Heat:

At home during day 68-70

At home sleeping 66-67

Away from home 63-65

AC:

At home, anytime, sleeping or awake: 70-72

Not home: 75

3 hours ago, teef said:

we have two heat pumps and air handlers, (i have no idea what i'm talking about, so ignore me if i'm way off) and the new one we have a great.  the ones that were presents when we moved in were way to anemic, and could never heat the house properly.  we have a weird situation where we're all electric, and the electric is cheap.  we do have a propane tank, but not the large ones to heat the house.    the only time it gets pricey is if it drops to below 10 or so for extended periods of time.  then it will run constantly, and we can have bills in the $450-500 range.  that being said, we crank the air in summer, have our pool set to 87-90, and it may cost me $200 a month.

I think you might benefit from seeing what you really have.

Heat pumps can be set up so that once a certain condition occurs, they activate electrical heat.

Kind of like a toaster.

They can also be set up to go to LP or some other source under certain conditions.

What I do know is that there is no heat pump that works using a regular refrigeration reversal at anything below 35 degrees.

18 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I think you might benefit from seeing what you really have.

Heat pumps can be set up so that once a certain condition occurs, they activate electrical heat.

Kind of like a toaster.

They can also be set up to go to LP or some other source under certain conditions.

What I do know is that there is no heat pump that works using a regular refrigeration reversal at anything below 35 degrees.

got ya.  makes sense.

23 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

Heat: 65 when home and awake, 60 when away or sleeping

ac: 80 when away, 78 when home and awake, 75 sleeping

Wow... This only points to one thing.

Energy consumption over comfort.  It can't be for comfort.  You like a 15° difference between seasons.  If one liked it cold... How can one like it so damn warm.

???

I am just messing with you... ?

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Energy consumption over comfort.  It can't be for comfort.  You like a 15° difference between seasons.  If one liked it cold... How can one like it so damn warm.

???

A lot of it is admittedly because I’m a cheapskate, but it’s also relative to the seasons. I live in SC so our winters are pretty mild, and summers sweltering. 60’s in the winter is enough to take the chill out of the place and what I’m used to from growing up in a drafty old WNY farmhouse, and in the summer going from 100 outside to 78 inside is enough of a difference to feel nice and cool.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

A lot of it is admittedly because I’m a cheapskate, but it’s also relative to the seasons. I live in SC so our winters are pretty mild, and summers sweltering. 60’s in the winter is enough to take the chill out of the place and what I’m used to from growing up in a drafty old WNY farmhouse, and in the summer going from 100 outside to 78 inside is enough of a difference to feel nice and cool.

I have the same mindset.  I never turned on the AC when I lived in the east except to cool down the upstairs at night for sleeping.

The reason the same temp setting doesn’t work year round is because I dress differently in summer (shorts/tee shirt) and winter (jeans/sweater)

37 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I have the same mindset.  I never turned on the AC when I lived in the east except to cool down the upstairs at night for sleeping.

The reason the same temp setting doesn’t work year round is because I dress differently in summer (shorts/tee shirt) and winter (jeans/sweater)

I wear shorts & tees in the dead of winter.  The mail lady saw me yesterday wearing pants.  She was shocked.  LoL.

I have been known to shovel in shorts.  That is mandatory though.  Gloves, half the time I don't need them unless it starts getting into the 20°s or lower and I am out for extended time doing nothing... Like watching a useless Bills game.  Then I will bundle up.  LoL...

I am so screwed and ill prepared for hot weather.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 3/18/2019 at 6:59 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Read my link about warm feet, faster sleep, above. 

Radiant baseboard, floor heat is sweet.  Old way of doing things.  Forced air blows.

We have the cold cast iron rads in an old concrete block house. Its been good in the winter, but not having forced air sucks for not being able to have central A/C

We also had an old natural gas boiler replaced with an on demand combo unit for our heat and hot water.

On 3/18/2019 at 7:27 PM, sherpa said:

We have built the last three houses we've lived in, so I had a lot to say about the HVAC stuff.

Radiant floor heating is really nice, but it is expensive and limits your choice of flooring.

You could do the research yourself, but using some tile product is vastly different than carpeting or wood flooring.

Did geothermal in the second house. Very nice, especially in the Virginia summers, since it is extremely good at de-humidification.

We always had our ac set at 76, and it felt much cooler than any neighbors at 74.

Would have done it again, but it suddenly got really expensive.

Heat pumps are great for ac, and OK for heat until you get to 40, and I don't care what they say. Below 40, it just doesn't handle it.

Wood isn't comfortable. We've done that before, though a woodstove in California, not as a primary heat source, but just to make one room really cozy.  Too dry and dirty.

LP is OK for a fireplace, but doesn't put out nearly as many BTU's as NatGas.

Anyway, that's my experience.

I have never come across anyone using Geothermal up here yet but have read about it. They were pushing a free course in the area to teach us about them recently but I didnt get to go, its just not common up here yet, although if our provincial government would have kept the incentives going for energy efficiency, we may have started to see it more.

I have seen a few heat pump systems around here but they are a bit rare.

We don't allow solid fuel fired appliances to be used as primary heat sources in homes up here, they can only be supplemental and require HRV/ERVs to be installed for makeup air.

Forced air systems are the most common, usually 95% of all builds I see are forced air.

On 3/18/2019 at 10:47 PM, row_33 said:

I’m old enough to use non-metric measurement, its way better for an individual to do this

I'm not, but I still do because growing up it was much more accurate to watch the Buffalo news for weather then it was Hamilton/Toronto

My wife goes by Celcius all the time, I use Fernheight. I am surprised that almost all building in this area uses imperial measurements 99% of the time. I never see plans that are done in metric.

7 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

We have the cold cast iron rads in an old concrete block house. Its been good in the winter, but not having forced air sucks for not being able to have central A/C

We also had an old natural gas boiler replaced with an on demand combo unit for our heat and hot water.

I have never come across anyone using Geothermal up here yet but have read about it. They were pushing a free course in the area to teach us about them recently but I didnt get to go, its just not common up here yet, although if our provincial government would have kept the incentives going for energy efficiency, we may have started to see it more.

I have seen a few heat pump systems around here but they are a bit rare.

We don't allow solid fuel fired appliances to be used as primary heat sources in homes up here, they can only be supplemental and require HRV/ERVs to be installed for makeup air.

Forced air systems are the most common, usually 95% of all builds I see are forced air.

You can still have A/C... Central compressor... And individual coils for each room.  There is a fan blowing over the coils in each room.

27 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I wear shorts & tees in the dead of winter.  The mail lady saw me yesterday wearing pants.  She was shocked.  LoL.

I have been known to shovel in shorts.  That is mandatory though.  Gloves, half the time I don't need them unless it starts getting into the 20°s or lower and I am out for extended time doing nothing... Like watching a useless Bills game.  Then I will bundle up.  LoL...

I am so screwed and ill prepared for hot weather.

Shocked she didn't have to call the police for indecent exposure?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/19/2019 at 10:20 AM, teef said:

we have two heat pumps and air handlers, (i have no idea what i'm talking about, so ignore me if i'm way off) and the new one we have a great.  the ones that were presents when we moved in were way to anemic, and could never heat the house properly.  we have a weird situation where we're all electric, and the electric is cheap.  we do have a propane tank, but not the large ones to heat the house.    the only time it gets pricey is if it drops to below 10 or so for extended periods of time.  then it will run constantly, and we can have bills in the $450-500 range.  that being said, we crank the air in summer, have our pool set to 87-90, and it may cost me $200 a month.

Do you heat or cool your pool to 87-90? 

The club pool in FL was geothermal, which they used to heat in the winter and just as importantly, COOL IN THE SUMMER. Water near 90 degrees takes the fun out of it! We’d set the house pool in the low 80’s. 

12 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

???

You may just be messing with around 

but its partly true.  If you love the cold (possibly to sleep better)  why allow it to be so hot?