At What Temps Do You Set Your Thermostat

Gugny

42 minutes ago, Steptide said:

68 normally, turn down to 65 or 66 at night mainly so we don't roast ourselves to death while sleeping. 

Side note, I live in a 950sq ft house and with our heat set at 68 most of the time our gas and electric bills are about $200 a month. I think that's really high. I know there's a lot of factors that come along with that, but our furnace is fairly new and windows are in decent shape. Just seems like alot for a house that isn't even 1000sq ft

When was the last time you had your ducts cleaned...old furnace..tune up every few years?

Edited by Misterbluesky

43 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No heat/AC. Live in a single wall 60s plantation house, insulation nil so whatever temperature it is outside it will be that temperature inside about an hour offset.

Your house has one wall?

For the folks who set AC down around 70, that would kill me! It’s usually around 90 during the day in the summer, and dropping down 20 degrees going inside would be too much of a swing for me. We usually set AC to 76-78. 

The heat is currently on 69, but I also love fresh air, so sometimes I’ll open the back doors and bundle up and/or start a fire. It drives my chemical engineer BIL bonkers because it’s not “optimal”, which I find fairly entertaining! 

Just now, Gugny said:

Your house has one wall?

It’s a round house. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

HEAT (When Temps Outside Are Below 40):

• At home during day:  67-68
  • At home whilst sleeping:  67
  • Away from home:  66

AIR CONDITIONING (When Temps Outside Are Above 75):

• At home during day:  72-73
  • At  home whilst sleeping:  74-75
  • Away from home:  75

HEAT (When Temps Outside Are Below 40):

• At home during day:  67-68 same
  • At home whilst sleeping:  67 same
  • Away from home:  66 If I think about it the same - If I forget 67 (too lazy to program)

AIR CONDITIONING (When Temps Outside Are Above 75):

• At home during day:  72-73 Same
  • At  home whilst sleeping:  74-75 way too hot 68
  • Away from home:  75 same

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

For the folks who set AC down around 70, that would kill me! It’s usually around 90 during the day in the summer, and dropping down 20 degrees going inside would be too much of a swing for me. We usually set AC to 76-78. 

We were in Virginia last August for my nephew's wedding. Outside temps in the 90s, and every place we visited, the AC was set to 68. If you dress for the outdoors, you’re freezing inside; if you dress for the indoors, you’re sweltering outside. (I’ve noticed that in Florida and Texas too.) Most southern places could cut their electric bills in half if they’d just use the AC in moderation.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, teef said:

my god...aren't you people freezing?

All the time in the winter, yes. I wear a heavy fleece while working from here.

And thanks for asking, yes I'm hot in the summer also. Don't want to run the A/C 24 hours a day!

2 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

And thanks for asking, yes I'm hot in the summer also. Don't want to run the A/C 24 hours a day!

my wife and i have a weird thing going on.  she ALWAYS too hot, and i'm always too cold, (with men and women it's usually the other way around). i turn it up a bit in the winter, and you'd think she was living on the equator.   she likes it so cold in the summer that i have to go outside to warm up sometimes.  in wny, that's total bull####.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

We were in Virginia last August for my nephew's wedding. Outside temps in the 90s, and every place we visited, the AC was set to 68. If you dress for the outdoors, you’re freezing inside; if you dress for the indoors, you’re sweltering outside. (I’ve noticed that in Florida and Texas too.) Most southern places could cut their electric bills in half if they’d just use the AC in moderation.

Ceiling fans are underrated by many. You don’t have to jack the AC up to keep a room (or whole house) comfortable if you gently run a ceiling fan on low or medium. If I just came in from serious heat I’ll sometimes crank the fan on high and stand beneath it till I cool down. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

When was the last time you had your ducts cleaned...old furnace..tune up every few years?

It has been a while. Something I need to do next winter for sure. Still seems high though even without that 

67°

But when it gets real cold out, like during the (30°)F Polar Vortex... You should set your T-Stat 3-5°F WARMER in order to keep up.  I set mine then to 72°F.

Summer is set to 73°-75°F to cool.

So... My house is colder in winter.  One time my mother was complaining at the Doctor's office that it was too cold with the A/C... That's the line they used on her!  "It's warmer in here now than when we heat in winter!"  LoL...

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

This is my approach.  Winter thermostat in the mid 60’s, summer thermostat in the mid 70’s.  Wear a fleece in the winter, wear shorts in the summer. 

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

office and home are centrally set to 80 all year round

80??  

70 in the winter only in the morning from 5:00am-7:00am

Summer only turn on the AC when it's over 100 and set it to 80....I think.  We've lived in CA for 36 years and only lived in two places with AC and rarely use it.  

14 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

80??  

70 in the winter only in the morning from 5:00am-7:00am

Summer only turn on the AC when it's over 100 and set it to 80....I think.  We've lived in CA for 36 years and only lived in two places with AC and rarely use it.  

yup, 80 for both locations all year round

nobody believes it but i have a temp gauge in both, they still don't believe it

they drain out the humidity in the summer and it's nice for the winter