Lost in all the talk of hopes of improved Josh Allen

Our OTHER first round pick of last year.....Edmunds

Here is to hoping he is working hard in the offseason to add even some more muscle to that already huge Preditor frame.......we need for him to take another huge leap as well and start blowing guys up like we expected when we were getting this freak of nature.

When we got him....they said they were going to "start him off at mlb" lets hope he settles into that spot and plays like a stud game in and game out OR they get smart and draft a MLB to go along with this group.

Speaking of which.....does anyone think it would be totally out in left field if they ended up thinking that MLB (white) was the best player available when they pick at 9 or trade down and they slide Tremaine over?

- It is Lorax last year

- might be best player available

- Edmunds natural spot my be OLB?

- Gives us 3 legit pass coverage LB's?

I said this in a different thread last week but I just can't see them moving Edmunds out of the MLB spot. They didn't spend an entire season coaching him up, teaching him that role and making him the "QB of the defense" just to move him outside the following year. He made steady improvements as the season went on and I don't think they're gonna mess with that, regardless if White is on the board at 9 or not.

• Like (+1) 7

Honestly, short of drafting a QB in round 1, nothing would really surprise me.  If they feel we would be better served with White in MLB and Edmunds at OLB and that is the best player on their board, then I don't think they would hesitate at all to make the pick just because they had him running the defense last year.  

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Honestly, short of drafting a QB in round 1, nothing would really surprise me.  If they feel we would be better served with White in MLB and Edmunds at OLB and that is the best player on their board, then I don't think they would hesitate at all to make the pick just because they had him running the defense last year.  

What does Edmunds bring as a pass rusher?  Usually the SAM rushes a decent amount, and also has to rotate in at DE during some of the nickel packages.

I LOVE Devin White. I really do. The one thing I will say here, is that drafting White, the majority of a game is played in nickel and dime defenses. So that means that Milano, Edmunds, or White would only play about 50% of the defensive snaps. Now you could play a big nickel and use Milano as that nickel guy. Now I liek Milano's coverage ability, but I don't want him matched up in the slot with a reciever. Also, that means that you are essentially taking Taron Johnson off the field. In order to avoid being too long winded, drafting White makes Milano, Edmunds, or White a two down player. Now I do think Edmunds can rush teh passer at the end spot. He was projected to be a 3-4 OLB. If they were going to use Tremaine that way, I'd be for it. 

All that said, there is a precedent here. The Panthers drafted Shaq Thompson in the first round when they already had Kuechly and Davis and he was essentially a two down player until last year. It's a nice way to develop a young guy, but I don't love it when you have 3 young studs. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've mentioned this in other threads, but it appears that Buffalo really knew what they were doing last year.  They knew it was a "lost" season with all of the dead cap and they took the opportunity to draft a "raw" and rare talent like Edmunds and get him a full year of NFL coaching and game speed.  He's still super young, but now, in a season in which the Bills are looking to take a big step forward, he will hit the ground running.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He was already much better at the end of the year when he was getting rookie of the month honors. This was a 19 year old kid when he came in to the league, with freakish upside, are we really talking about moving him already ?‍♂️.

• Like (+1) 2

I just keep coming back to Bob Babich. If Tremaine is the guy he wanted, then I really can't question it. The guys he has developed over the years, including HOF Brian Urlacher is hard to argue with. Plus you have Lance Briggs, Telvin Smith, Denzel Perryman. he also helped Melvin Ingram make huge leaps and strides when he looked like a bust and made Poz into a pretty impressive MIKE. Gotta trust Babich on this one. Add in the Brain Trust of McDermott and Frazier, you basically have like 75 years of coaching experience that hand picked this guy.  

• Like (+1) 4

What I am really trying to do is not so much smack Edmunds......I still think this guy could be special....but more going along that "best player available" thing that keeps getting touted.....

Is OL best player available at 9?

Is Oliver gone by 9?  And if so is he even bpa at 9?

I REALLY liked what I saw of Risner as a RT........we hard addressed WR in free agency (we addressed OL heavy as well......but Ty is not a young guy)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Our OTHER first round pick of last year.....Edmunds

Here is to hoping he is working hard in the offseason to add even some more muscle to that already huge Preditor frame.......we need for him to take another huge leap as well and start blowing guys up like we expected when we were getting this freak of nature.

When we got him....they said they were going to "start him off at mlb" lets hope he settles into that spot and plays like a stud game in and game out OR they get smart and draft a MLB to go along with this group.

Speaking of which.....does anyone think it would be totally out in left field if they ended up thinking that MLB (white) was the best player available when they pick at 9 or trade down and they slide Tremaine over?

- It is Lorax last year

- might be best player available

- Edmunds natural spot my be OLB?

- Gives us 3 legit pass coverage LB's?

Been mentioning for weeks.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

He struggled.

He flashed his potential many times but also flashed awful play. Reminded me of Darron Lee from the Jets a little bit. Was shy from contact too many times, misdiagnosed plays, and dragged for tackles, but good in coverage.

Need MUCH more consistency from him if the defense is going to take the next step.

Give the kids a break. There was a lot of youth and inexperience on that D last year. By the end of the season they were playing great ball. We do need more consistency in that we need to leave the guys learn their positions and their responsibilities. If we keep reshuffling there is no consistency just a learning curve. We ended the season with a top ranked D despite getting blown out several times early in the season and an offense that struggled.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dneveu said:

What does Edmunds bring as a pass rusher?  Usually the SAM rushes a decent amount, and also has to rotate in at DE during some of the nickel packages.

As a scouting friend of mine would say: "the kid's got juice as a pass rusher".  He can definitely get after it.  He's an effective blitzer on his own, but when he's used as a +1 EDGE rusher, he's devastating.  If you can, go back and watch him as a +1 EDGE against Miami in week 17--Gase tried to block him with a TE, and Edmunds had Tannehill on the ground in less than 2.5 seconds.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

As a scouting friend of mine would say: "the kid's got juice as a pass rusher".  He can definitely get after it.  He's an effective blitzer on his own, but when he's used as a +1 EDGE rusher, he's devastating.  If you can, go back and watch him as a +1 EDGE against Miami in week 17--Gase tried to block him with a TE, and Edmunds had Tannehill on the ground in less than 2.5 seconds.

Then i wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it.  He's still learning nuances of pro football, but he's got guys like lorax and hughes to kind of help along with the pass rushing maneuvers.  

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Give the kid a break? 

This isnt high school. It's the not for long league.

He's got a ton of talent but they need him to be more consistent at diagnosing the play, reacting faster and making the tackle.

The defense was slightly above average. For them to be better they need him to be better.

Let's talk at the end of this season. You might even be wearing the kids jersey by then. If you didn't see significant progression from week 1 to week 17 then I don't know what to tell you. He's a kid, 19/20 years old. He's learning, he's going to get bigger, and as he plays more he only going to get better. Try and see the positives sometimes. You may end up being happier ?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Let's talk at the end of this season. You might even be wearing the kids jersey by then. If you didn't see significant progression from week 1 to week 17 then I don't know what to tell you. He's a kid, 19/20 years old. He's learning, he's going to get bigger, and as he plays more he only going to get better. Try and see the positives sometimes. You may end up being happier ?

This was also a position switch for Edmunds from college correct?

I think one of the great benefits to this team was Edmunds going through the year without injury or games missed.

That was one of my hopes going into a year where I thought we had no chance to make the playoffs.