interesting about Matt Paradis

My HUNCH is that team's don't view concussions the same way they view other injuries. In all seriousness, how many careers have been cut short because of concussions? It happens, and there are some recent Bills' examples, but it seems like something that will affect Morse post career more than it will during the duration of his contract.

I think the risk with concussion issues has more to do with a player deciding to hang it up as opposed to knee/back type things that render a player unable to perform.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

My HUNCH is that team's don't view concussions the same way they view other injuries. In all seriousness, how many careers have been cut short because of concussions? It happens, and there are some recent Bills' examples, but it seems like something that will affect Morse post career more than it will during the duration of his contract.

I think the risk with concussion issues has more to do with a player deciding to hang it up as opposed to knee/back type things that render a player unable to perform.

It's surely something to monitor, and certainly something the Bills seriously checked out with doctors prior to giving him an 11m a year contract that made him the highest paid C.

Another way to look at it is that he has had one in three years. I believe he had two his rookie season. While four is a lot any way you look at it, and again, a cause for concern, if Morse got the first two in his last year in college, and had only one in his three years in the NFL, teams and fans wouldn't seem to have the same worry.

Obviously, it is something the Bills discussed at length and came to the conclusion it wasn't a disqualifier. If he gets one this year, however, then there is reason for deep concern. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/5/27/17399220/denver-broncos-matt-paradis-health

Sounds like his hip issues were (and/or are) pretty serious. 

As that story notes, he’s dealt with hip and injury issues since his sophomore year at Boise State University.

On the latest MHR Radio Podcast, Adam Malnati and I couldn’t believe Paradis was able to walk let alone play in the NFL with his hips in the condition they were in. To get an idea of how bad it was for him, he hasn’t been able to do squats since he was a sophomore. That is remarkable.

“It was do (the surgery) or consider retiring,” he (Paradis) said. “It was bad.

“That surgery can be kind of a temperamental surgery. Not everyone that gets it, recovers. I think the doctors I went to are phenomenal. I think they have a very high percentage rate of success. I’ve dealt with this since my sophomore year of college. So every time I talk to a doctor, they just go, ‘Well, only about 60 percent of people get pain recovery from it.’ You just kind of delay it and delay it until you can’t play anymore. Luckily we delayed it long enough to where they could send me up the mountain to the world’s best surgeons.”

I don’t know if it’s still an ongoing issue, or if his hips are healthy now. 

But even if his hips are healthy, I would imagine that a surgery of that nature carries some future risks. If it didn’t, I would think that he would have has it done sooner? 

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Yes, and while concussions are risky, he's younger and hasn't shown any signs of body wear/tear like Paradis.

Plus, Paradis is still rehabbing from that leg injury and while he should be ready to play by the start of the season, it isn’t a 100% guarantee. 

2 hours ago, krf139 said:

Or maybe we just overpaid significantly for Morse 

Yes, maybe.  ...

Thank you for your contribution and welcome aboard! We don’t have nearly enough negative fans here.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Haha (+1) 4

One question that I have not heard, is why Kansas City did not try to sign Morse long term?  Do they already have a replacement in mind? I like the fact he is younger and I generally agree that they had to overpay.  There was just too much money for all of the teams to spend.  Bills have the luxury of a roster devoid of talent and therefore can spend now. 

1 hour ago, QCity said:

He's had 3 concussions in the last 4 years, the last of which landed him in concussion protocol for 5 weeks. There's a lot of wishful thinking at this time of the year to simply hand-wave this sort of thing off, but it is a concern. The man plays in the trenches.

3 hours ago, krf139 said:

Or maybe we just overpaid significantly for Morse 

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Didn’t Morse have some injury concerns? Concussion maybe?

So.... Buyers Re’Morse’. ?? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoeF said:

None of this could be Elway trying to save face with the fans while he enters year 2 of his "rent a declining veteran QB" strategy?  No way, right?

..."Horseface" is Yolo's buddy.....better ask Wilbur to chime in....:thumbsup:

image.thumb.png.5230f7ab9b87936d3fe5260f361a3978.png

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

One question that I have not heard, is why Kansas City did not try to sign Morse long term?  Do they already have a replacement in mind? I like the fact he is younger and I generally agree that they had to overpay.  There was just too much money for all of the teams to spend.  Bills have the luxury of a roster devoid of talent and therefore can spend now. 

The chiefs have a lot of money already invested into their o-line. 

Fisher is making $12M per year, Tardif is making $8.5M, Schwartz makes $6.6M and Erving makes just over $4M.  That’s roughly $31 million between those 4. I don’t think that they felt they could have another $9-10M+ player on the o-line, ans felt that they had a strong enough line that they could make due with Austin Reiter at C. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Fisher is making $12M per year, Tardif is making $8.5M, Schwartz makes $6.6M and Erving makes just over $4M.  That’s roughly $31 million between those 4. I don’t think that they felt they could have another $9-10M+ player on the o-line, ans felt that they had a strong enough line that they could make due with Austin Reiter at C. 

It might make one wonder if that could make life a little easier for a young QB?   Maybe help make those weapons a little more dangerous? (Upon further review...... their weapons are already very dangerous, and not just on the football field!) 

?

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ddaryl said:

2 FA centers on market worthy of pursuit. One older and more wear and tear.. I think we paid a fair FA price for a player who can stick around for a few years and has the ability to play at a high level with Josh for the entire contract

Some people just dont get that the next guy up becomes the highest paid.  Cousins became the highest paid QB, do they think that the Vikings thought he was the best QB in the league?

Edited by formerlyofCtown

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

They’re cumulative, and that’s the issue. The more you get, the higher the chances of long term cognitive issues (CTE).  

As with all things Bills these days, I trust they had a neuro involved and made a decision based on all of the facts. 

I, for one, am glad we got him! The anchor!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think it's more than a fair question to raise.  Morse seems to be a great fit for what Beane is looking for; however, pointing to injuries as a reason Paradis got a smaller contract may or may not be true.  It's certainly possible; however, it's also possible Morse was Beane's guy and was willing to overpay a bit to get him.  There is nothing wrong with this and it's not at all negative. 

Yes, maybe.  ...

Thank you for your contribution and welcome aboard! We don’t have nearly enough negative fans here.

Morse's contract may seem a bit high, but I think you have to factor inflation into this deal.  Paying a top flight center may cost 15 million or more.  We've got him locked in.  He was key in Mahomes' development, and I think they are counting on him helping Josh as well.  He's psyched about playing here.  Let's be happy to have him.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Didn’t Morse have some injury concerns? Concussion maybe?

Yes, missed 5 games last season.

Missed 9 prev. season with leg injury

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Since Morse missed a number of games last season, they had the op to evaluate Reiter and may have felt he could do the job capably.