Ngata retires with the statement - "I'm retiring from the NFL on top."

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

But it's not free standing, because the ocean holds it up...

Hence the free-standing designation, which is a really terrible geological term for 'unconnected to a mountain range or series of mountain ranges'...trust me, tallest-mountain designation is a sore spot here. Measuring from sea level (highest altitude) will give you Everest, 'free-standing' is Kilimanjaro, measuring from the base gets you Mauna Kea, measuring distance from peak to the Earth's center is Chimborazo in Ecuador due to Earth's oblate spheriod nature. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Hence the free-standing designation, which is a really terrible geological term for 'unconnected to a mountain range or series of mountain ranges'...trust me, tallest-mountain designation is a sore spot here. Measuring from sea level (highest altitude) will give you Everest, 'free-standing' is Kilimanjaro, measuring from the base gets you Mauna Kea, measuring distance from peak to the Earth's center is Chimborazo in Ecuador due to Earth's oblate spheriod nature. 

Not just a terrible term, a made-up one.  No one ever uses that phrase.

6 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I clearly remember pretty much every Bills fan back before that draft lobbying for him. Funny how a lot of the time the fans really do seem to know more than the idiots in charge. It pains me to call Marv an idiot (pretty sure he chose Whitner) but in that case it's hard to argue against 

I think that is why Reed posted a Whitner picture 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I've heard it used before but it's definitely clumsy. Especially considering what they mean 99/100 by 'freestanding' is simply 'volcanic'.

57 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Um ... you're wrong. 

41 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I've heard it used before but it's definitely clumsy. Especially considering what they mean 99/100 by 'freestanding' is simply 'volcanic'.

It's not a bad term; it's meant to refer to mountains separate from the chains they're in, and particularly mountains outside of (i.e., free of) chains (i.e., volcanic mountains). Those ones are by definition "free-standing."  It's not that uncommon of a term.  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

I think that Whitner pick falls more to Jauron and Scouting staff that it does on Levy. i don't think Levy was picking any of the players himself.

I heard Levy say on Sirius Radio after the draft that he turned down "multiple trade offers" to draft Whitner. Both were absolutely beyond awful.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Um ... you're wrong. 

It's not a bad term; it's meant to refer to mountains separate from the chains they're in, and particularly mountains outside of (i.e., free of) chains (i.e., volcanic mountains). Those ones are by definition "free-standing."  It's not that uncommon of a term.  

The correct response is "You're an idiot."

I read same term in my college textbooks.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

As opposed to the one I live on which, if you measure from its base which is at the bottom of the ocean, is easily the tallest mountain on earth.

image.thumb.png.4eb4174d65a3ef9f1d5d35967eddf009.png

And if you consider land based mountains from peak to base Denali in Alaska is the tallest in the world. So the tallest marine based and land based mountains in the world are both in the United States. If you put Everest next to either in a strictly size comparison it is dwarfed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1