Bills showing Interest in Darius Philon, DL

MAJBobby

29 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Woke up thinking about this today

If we truly are doing what Beane said and "using free agency to fill needs" taking BPA in the draft......what about Devin White?  My thoughts

- Lorax retiring

- The bills might not be set on Edmunds being a MLB

- Gives them 3 LB's that can cover

- Possibly BPA?

Then you trade back up into the 1st round for Risner

Finally you are talking sense. Yes, pick White.

1 hour ago, Socal-805 said:

How do you know Rex can't drop into coverage??  

I think because of that whole "opposable thumbs" thing...although I think I think he would probably be able to stay with any receiver, he would never be able to hang on to an interception...

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

If we sign Philon (excellent move if we do), I'd really start to think we're looking to trade down. 

I still think we get a DE in FA/Trade somehow, someway, which would mean we'd essentially be set with Hughes/Shaq/Murphy/TBD & Star/Philon/Jordan/Harry

I already think the Bills are looking to trade down from #9, feverishly. The 2 4ths, 5ths & 7’s won’t yeild nearly the return another 2nd, 3rd or even another 1 will in this Draft. Unfortunately, every team knows this, so it seems unlikely we’ll have a trading partner for #9. 

Unlike the bounty Beane used last year, if he realizes he’ll have to give more to get less this year, we may be able to get 4 picks in the first 3 Rounds..

9 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I already think the Bills are looking to trade down from #9, feverishly. The 2 4ths, 5ths & 7’s won’t yeild nearly the return another 2nd, 3rd or even another 1 will in this Draft. Unfortunately, every team knows this, so it seems unlikely we’ll have a trading partner for #9. 

Unlike the bounty Beane used last year, if he realizes he’ll have to give more to get less this year, we may be able to get 4 picks in the first 3 Rounds..

The best case scenario in this draft is that 1-2 QBs get drafted in the top 10 and push talent down. 

Edit: 2020 not sure who this draft class shapes out, but as of now 111 underclassmen declared for the 2019 draft which will take some good talent off the board next year

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yep. We started the offseason with a huge number of holes to fill and open roster spots. The signing of these 9-10 FA if you count Long and Kevin Johnson, drops that roster spot opening number dramatically. I think that Beane would love to trade down in the first and then trade back up maybe twice, using the extra picks, and maybe only 4-5 of the rookies make the final day roster. I would look to do that if I were him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Woke up thinking about this today

If we truly are doing what Beane said and "using free agency to fill needs" taking BPA in the draft......what about Devin White?  My thoughts

- Lorax retiring

- The bills might not be set on Edmunds being a MLB

- Gives them 3 LB's that can cover

- Possibly BPA?

Then you trade back up into the 1st round for Risner

I'd absolutely love this. I honestly believe White would have just as big an impact for us as Ed Oliver would. And Risner is my favorite OL in this draft, he'll end up the best of the bunch, albeit at RT.

49 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think the Packers might be interested in moving up to 9 from 12 to get a WR.  

Bills receive:

#12, #30, and #150

Packers receive:

#9 and #40

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I think the Packers might be interested in moving up to 9 from 12 to get a WR.  

Bills receive:

#12, #30, and #150

Packers receive:

#9 and #40

Wow...

Is it real life this could happen?

They can even keep 150..

I place a lot of value on trading back into the bottom of the first..

Edited by Aussie Joe

13 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/darius-philon?id=2552676

STRENGTHS

Outstanding burst and quickness off the snap. Penetrator with ability to make plays on the other side of the line if he wins early. Able to blow up zone plays with quickness. Plays with desired bend. Uses rip to establish advantage on edge and then plays with leverage to maintain his position through the play. High school defensive end who brings more advanced hand usage and pass-rush moves to the interior spot. Has athleticism to mirror and help contain quarterbacks thinking of bolting from pocket. Plus speed to the sideline in pursuit.

WEAKNESSES

Still growing into his body and needs more time to add bulk. Needs to hit the weights hard in order to handle down blocks and pure power when he gets squared up. Struggles to unhinge himself and get back into the play once he's snatched by guards with size. At times, gets caught on tape just riding out the snap when initial pass rush stalls. Lacks formidable bull rush. Lacks size and functional power to play in anything but 4-3.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 3

NFL COMPARISON

George Uko

BOTTOM LINE

One-gap penetrator with serious juice off the snap. Philon could have used an additional year at Arkansas to add muscle and improve himself as a take-on defensive tackle, but teams will absolutely be intrigued by his combination of get-off and interior-pass-rush potential.

sounds good, hope we can get him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Wow...

Is it real life this could happen?

They can even keep 150..

I place a lot of value on trading back into the bottom of the first..

It's just me throwing crap at the wall but the value chart matches up almost perfectly. We might need to throw in a 7th but it's basically spot on. 1850 to 1851 in value IIRC