Bills showing Interest in Darius Philon, DL

MAJBobby

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/darius-philon?id=2552676

STRENGTHS

Outstanding burst and quickness off the snap. Penetrator with ability to make plays on the other side of the line if he wins early. Able to blow up zone plays with quickness. Plays with desired bend. Uses rip to establish advantage on edge and then plays with leverage to maintain his position through the play. High school defensive end who brings more advanced hand usage and pass-rush moves to the interior spot. Has athleticism to mirror and help contain quarterbacks thinking of bolting from pocket. Plus speed to the sideline in pursuit.

WEAKNESSES

Still growing into his body and needs more time to add bulk. Needs to hit the weights hard in order to handle down blocks and pure power when he gets squared up. Struggles to unhinge himself and get back into the play once he's snatched by guards with size. At times, gets caught on tape just riding out the snap when initial pass rush stalls. Lacks formidable bull rush. Lacks size and functional power to play in anything but 4-3.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 3

NFL COMPARISON

George Uko

BOTTOM LINE

One-gap penetrator with serious juice off the snap. Philon could have used an additional year at Arkansas to add muscle and improve himself as a take-on defensive tackle, but teams will absolutely be intrigued by his combination of get-off and interior-pass-rush potential.
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just don't get why they wouldn't re-sign him.  He wouldn't be that expensive, probably around the $5M a year range.  He's been productive, he gets after the QB and he's young and still getting better.

Either they don't value the position that much or they think they can get similar production elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Philon is a guy that could bring a skill set to the room that missing. I’d prefer Oliver to play that role but there are no guarantees that he’s available. It would be a good signing though (especially at the right price). 

I’m having trouble selling myself on Oliver with the lack of sack production. What makes you think he can put up better pass rush stats in the pros?

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Magox said:

I just don't get why they wouldn't re-sign him.  He wouldn't be that expensive, probably around the $5M a year range.  He's been productive, he gets after the QB and he's young and still getting better.

Either they don't value the position that much or they think they can get similar production elsewhere.

I am guessing they just don't want to tie up to much money in the defensive line, with Bosa coming up on the 5th year option. Who knows? They probably think that they can plug anybody into their system and get production.  

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

I am guessing they just don't want to tie up to much money in the defensive line, with Bosa coming up on the 5th year option. Who knows? They probably think that they can plug anybody into their system and get production.  

You were plugging for this signing a few days ago, yes?

Weird measurables - 6’1 300

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They aren’t going to tie up money in him, they can draft a replacement. Maybe if his market comes down but he’s expected 4-5 mill 

If we sign Philon (excellent move if we do), I'd really start to think we're looking to trade down. 

I still think we get a DE in FA/Trade somehow, someway, which would mean we'd essentially be set with Hughes/Shaq/Murphy/TBD & Star/Philon/Jordan/Harry

• Like (+1) 1