Great article, the OBJ trade and that Beane passed on it

8 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

You do realize that AB is 30 years old and will be 31 when the season starts right? His decline is not going to hit in 4 or 5 or even 6 years. It will happen this year or next year. He won't be playing in 4 or 5 or 6 years. The dude is old. I don't care how good he is, he is old as f*** and is a locker room cancer. I would would pass on that every time.

He is a WR and not an RB, his stats do not indicate any drop off or change in production or even give an inclination that he is on the decline, he is remarkably injury free, has an outstanding training regimen, etc. He is still producing at such a high level, even when he enters his decline he will still be better than many starting WRs in the league. AB does not appear to be the talent that falls of a ledge due to injuries and age, his trajectory as of now is closer to a Rice, Tim Brown and (even though not the same class of WR) Steve Smith. For the next 3 seasons unless major injury he is still projected to produce as a top 10 WR, years 4,5,6 he will most likely decline due to age, but still be remarkably productive enough to justify this contract. It is very much doubtful he will fall of the cliff. 

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

He is a WR and not an RB, his stats do not indicate any drop off or change in production or even give an inclination that he is on the decline, he is remarkably injury free, has an outstanding training regimen, etc. He is still producing at such a high level, even when he enters his decline he will still be better than many starting WRs in the league. AB does not appear to be the talent that falls of a ledge due to injuries and age, his trajectory as of now is closer to a Rice, Tim Brown and (even though not the same class of WR) Steve Smith. For the next 3 seasons unless major injury he is still projected to produce as a top 10 WR, years 4,5,6 he will most likely decline due to age, but still be remarkably productive enough to justify this contract. It is very much doubtful he will fall of the cliff. 

We will have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one. Age plays a huge factor in getting injured in the sport. Even being relatively injury free up till now with the outstanding training regime that he has, it's not going to help.  I am well past 30 and I am going to make an assumption based on your screen name and guess that you are over the age of thirty as well and you most likely already know that no matter your regimen, once you turn that corner, injuries come far easier than before you were 30.  

4 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

We will have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one. Age plays a huge factor in getting injured in the sport. Even being relatively injury free up till now with the outstanding training regime that he has, it's not going to help.  I am well past 30 and I am going to make an assumption based on your screen name and guess that you are over the age of thirty as well and you most likely already know that no matter your regimen, once you turn that corner, injuries come far easier than before you were 30.  

Sigh, I wish I was still in my 30s. When you sneeze, you can hurt a muscle and when I eat a donut my ass jiggles for a week (if I'm lucky). 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

Sigh, I wish I was still in my 30s. When you sneeze, you can hurt a muscle and when I eat a donut my ass jiggles for a week (if I'm lucky). 

Don't get me wrong. I wish i was in my 30's too. I'm right there with ya. Getting older SUCKS! LOL! 

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The interesting thing to me on those pages, because it led credence to my suspicions, was that Antonio Brown demanded to be the top paid WR in football before the trade was completed. Despite all of the dismissals, I still believe that the Bills and Beane agreed to compensation and the trade for Brown, but that Brown would not agree to go unless he got his contract extension wish. Beane and the Bills were not willing to pay the 19m a season 4-5-6 years from now that the Raiders did, and that is why the deal fell through.

His Raiders deal just runs 3 years.

Guess I don't know where you get the 4-5-6 year deal from.

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

His Raiders deal just runs 3 years.

Guess I don't know where you get the 4-5-6 year deal from.

I had read right when it happened they added three years to the three years he already had left, at about 19m per. Maybe that was wrong. 

Edit: just looked it up. You were right. They ripped up the old one and gave him a new one. He gets $30m guaranteed when he had none with Pitt in the next 3 years. My feelings remain the same though. I bet the Bills balked at that demand. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Thanks for the link - a good article. If true that the Giants contacted Beane first, I am glad he passed. Makes me wonder more and more about Gettleman - and feel more and more confident about Beane.

I guess I just want to know how much you think of Gettleman, and why.

6 hours ago, BringBackFlutie said:

I guess I just want to know how much you think of Gettleman, and why.

Gettleman has a pretty impressive resume in scouting and evaluation of pro player. He learned under Bill Polian while a scout with the Bills (during his time the Bills were 81-46 with 4 SB appearances), then spent time as a scout with Denver (during his time there, the Broncos were 40-24 with 1 SB appearance - a win), as Director of Pro Personnel with the Giants under Ernie Accorsi (during his time there, the Giants were 131-109 with 2 SB appearances - 2 wins), and as GM of the Panthers where the team went 40-23-1 with 1 SB appearance.

Not only has he been part of teams that went to a total of 8 super bowls, each team that he was with had a losing record the year before he joined them and were built into super bowl contenders. I'm not saying he was largely responsible (or even marginally helpful in his beginning years) for the success of those teams; however, he has been part of the successful building processes of different teams.

He is almost 70 now (which I don't view quite as old as I used to - since I am now 60) and really grew up in football under a different era in terms of GM mentality.

Edited by billsfan1959

12 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

We'll see. If Beckham wasn't such a pantload he'd be a Giant for life. 

Yeah, probably.....just like to see talented players on our roster...Bills of the 90s weren't saints either