Great article, the OBJ trade and that Beane passed on it

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, who needs HOF receivers when you just signed guys who averaged 600 yards/ season!

I wouldn't put obj in the hall just yet. Let's slow down a bit. And I'm waiting to see who's throwing to ab for the next few years.

Edited by Dopey

What a terrible article of random thoughts by Peter King.  Reminds me why I stopped reading his nonsense.   Bean "didn't bite."   Why?  Did he not like OBJ?  What was the offer?  "Didn't bite" tells NOTHING.   Like most of King's posts, they are full of, "I have this inside source," then say absolutely nothing.   And his non-football/sports rants are tiresome also.  He goes off into wild speculation (i.e. women's apparel) when he could, I don't know, just ask a women's sports announcer (not all of whom are attractive or dressed in cocktail attire, btw).  

Just a terrible all-around article.  

40 minutes ago, nucci said:

Don't get why people wouldn't want Beckham on this team...they must not be old enough to remember Kelly, Thurman, Bruce....I hate the term diva but those Bills teams always had drama but were all business on the field

A year to soon for us IMO is my issue. We really need the picks this season, as we have more expiring contracts next season with some aging players and this is a pretty damn deep draft.

32 minutes ago, wiskibreth said:

Yeah, but can they play together as a team?  I anticipate it's not long before the "I don't get enough touches" complaints start emerging.

recall Andre Reed and Thurman complaining about the same thing?

The price for ODB must have been too great for Beane, otherwise, I think he pulls the trigger. I can see the NY Giants wanting that #9 overall this year and I can see why Beane said no to that. 

Kind of a shame though that they couldn't get a deal done because adding Beckham might make up a bit talent wise for drafting Watkins with two firsts and a fourth.  Although Beane already scored big last year with two firsts in a franchise QB, ILBer and Robert Foster, Levi Wallace as free agents add to last year's talent influx. 

Beane already filling some the needs in free agency and I can see this draft class really adding to the roster. 

P.S. that article on fools gold really showed how stupid teams can be by adding big names only to create a paper tiger. BB went the other way in adding decent fill-ins until he can draft/ find quality starters. 

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I wouldn't put obj in the hall just yet. Let's slow down a bit. And I'm waiting to see who's throwing to ab for the next few years.

He is off to one of the greatest starts in nfl history. He would have to fall off a cliff to not make it.

and as annoying as he is, AB is probably already HOF worthy.  But yeah, I’d rather have Cole and John Brown. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He is off to one of the greatest starts in nfl history. He would have to fall off a cliff to not make it.

and as annoying as he is, AB is probably already HOF worthy.  But yeah, I’d rather have Cole and John Brown. 

AB would be easier, since the draft picks were a lot less in terms of compensation. This year's class is pretty damn good and I would have not liked giving up a pair of them at the top for OBJ. I just don't see us being at a point where he would put us over the top this season. 

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

AB would be easier, since the draft picks were a lot less in terms of compensation. This year's class is pretty damn good and I would have not liked giving up a pair of them at the top for OBJ. I just don't see us being at a point where he would put us over the top this season. 

Fair.  And I hate His antics but he makes your entire offense better.  He’s a huge reason why Barkley had a great year.  

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/odell-beckham-jr-trade-why-giants-decided-to-deal-pain-in-the-ass-receiver/305138080

"He had become too much of a pain in the ass," said one source familiar with the situation. "And there was a real fear that eventually it would get worse

Also, they did not feel he was truly happy playing in New York and for a Giants franchise that was struggling, one source said. And after seeing the way Antonio Brown forced his way out of Pittsburgh over the last few months, there was a worry that in a year or two - especially if the Giants and their quarterback continued to struggle -- Beckham could go that route, too.

Behind the scenes, it got worse. Beckham didn't hide his unhappiness with the offense, particularly when talking to his fellow receivers. Manning publicly remained supportive of Beckham, and insisted he wasn't affected by his receiver's seeming lack of support. But some of his friends were sure Manning was bothered by what seemed like a needless distraction.

Gettleman clearly decided that for all Beckham's ability, his effect on his team was an overall negative. And if Manning struggled again this year, and Beckham had to deal with a rookie quarterback, it had the potential to get worse over time. And Gettleman's biggest concern with the Giants was the "culture" he was creating.

"I've been to seven (Super Bowls)," Gettleman said. "And every single team had a great locker room. I'm telling you. I've been to seven of them and they all had great locker rooms. Part of the responsibility of a general manager is to eliminate distractions. Allow players to play and coaches to coach. And unfortunately, guys that have character issues create distractions. They do."

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/giants-gm-dave-gettleman-trading-odell-beckham-jr-was-purely-football-decision/305367416

"We didn't sign him to trade him, but obviously things changed," Gettleman said on a conference call with reporters on Monday. "Another team made us an offer we couldn't refuse."

A source told SNY's Ralph Vacchiano shortly after the deal went down that Beckham had "become a pain in the ass" and that there was a fear it could get worse.

The Giants GM revealed he spoke with three teams about Beckham but initiated just one conversation, which was with Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane, whom Gettleman has a close relationship with and knew was interested in Antonio Brown

"I called Buffalo after learning they had conversations on Antonio Brown," he said. "I good-naturedly chided Brandon about not calling us and that's where it ended."

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I didn't want TO in his prime( he was a lot to deal with). When he came to us, he was older and somewhat humble. I would take that TO right now. I think AB has a screw loose. OBJ is younger, but I read something about him in a pic with a lady and some white powder on a table. He lives too much for tweets and internet hits, they both do. I would hope if I was in their position, the $ I make would be enough to care for my family. The fact that the # of followers they have validates them in some way is as weird as they are. We don't need that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5484489/Odell-Beckham-Jr-caught-suspicious-white-powder-cigarette.html

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good read!

I actually liked the section about quitting fantasy football the best...I had a lot of the same reasons a couple years back, and now enjoy my NFL weekends with much less stress, but that's just me. I don't fault anybody who thinks FF is still the best thing since sliced bread though. 

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

I didn't want TO in his prime( he was a lot to deal with). When he came to us, he was older and somewhat humble. I would take that TO right now. I think AB has a screw loose. OBJ is younger, but I read something about him in a pic with a lady and some white powder on a table. He lives too much for tweets and internet hits, they both do. I would hope if I was in their position, the $ I make would be enough to care for my family. The fact that the # of followers they have validates them in some way is as weird as they are. We don't need that.

According to a NYG reporter i heard the other day, this interview is  what sent the Giants over the edge,  right after they had signed him. They had been talking about trading him all year. Patriots were trying to get  him but didn’t offer enough I guess

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, wiskibreth said:

Maybe I'm old, but I think that's just sad.  Pretty soon it'll be...  "meh, it's 2025, who cares about precision engineering, just throw some steel and concrete together, that bridge will hold up".  ?

As an engineer in training, I can assure you that won’t happen. Well, at least not in Canada or the US. I probably shouldn’t be so sure about developing countries, as I’ve heard some horror stories.

5 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

So basically, the Giants didn't want to pay Collins, a MUCH better player than Peppers, who wanted to stay with the team.  So in order to make up for that they had to get Peppers back, essentially making that a wash, a less talented player for a lot less money.  Getting the 3rd back was just making up for a 3rd they wasted.  So they traded their best player (or second best if you want to argue Barkley) for the 17th pick in the draft but are doubling down on a 38 year old QB.

They might have moved Beckham in order to get their next QB as there's talk they don't like Haskins (by some the 2nd best QB in the draft). So they can use pick #6 on another need, maybe a WR like DK Metcalf, and then use pick 17 on someone like Daniel Jones or Drew Lock? 

The interesting thing to me on those pages, because it led credence to my suspicions, was that Antonio Brown demanded to be the top paid WR in football before the trade was completed. Despite all of the dismissals, I still believe that the Bills and Beane agreed to compensation and the trade for Brown, but that Brown would not agree to go unless he got his contract extension wish. Beane and the Bills were not willing to pay the 19m a season 4-5-6 years from now that the Raiders did, and that is why the deal fell through.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL  I spit my coffee out 

Many a time I have found King’s articles chock full of spelling and grammatical errors 

I'm sure if you email Peter the brand you're drinking, he could provide a quirky coffee anecdote.  Or moan about the barista at Starbucks not putting enough foam on his latte.  

32 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The interesting thing to me on those pages, because it led credence to my suspicions, was that Antonio Brown demanded to be the top paid WR in football before the trade was completed. Despite all of the dismissals, I still believe that the Bills and Beane agreed to compensation and the trade for Brown, but that Brown would not agree to go unless he got his contract extension wish. Beane and the Bills were not willing to pay the 19m a season 4-5-6 years from now that the Raiders did, and that is why the deal fell through.

I think you are 10000% correct. I would add that they should have not had a problem giving him the money - his numbers have yet to have a drop off and honestly when his decline hits in 4,5 or 6 years his contract will pay him the equivalent of what Watkins is making now and he will still be "good", most likely not elite, but still a very good WR. I do however get their reservations about handing out $$ after what he did to get out of Pitts. 

33 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I think you are 10000% correct. I would add that they should have not had a problem giving him the money - his numbers have yet to have a drop off and honestly when his decline hits in 4,5 or 6 years his contract will pay him the equivalent of what Watkins is making now and he will still be "good", most likely not elite, but still a very good WR. I do however get their reservations about handing out $$ after what he did to get out of Pitts. 

You do realize that AB is 30 years old and will be 31 when the season starts right? His decline is not going to hit in 4 or 5 or even 6 years. It will happen this year or next year. He won't be playing in 4 or 5 or 6 years. The dude is old. I don't care how good he is, he is old as f*** and is a locker room cancer. I would  pass on that every time.

Edited by BigPappy
  • Haha (+1) 1