Great article, the OBJ trade and that Beane passed on it

2 hours ago, nucci said:

and Buffalo is Buffalo....Browns now have Beckham, Landry, Chubb, Mayfield and Njoku....that looks like a good offense and their D was good last year.

Just because the trade might work for Cleveland does not mean it would have worked for Buffalo. Seriously, how happy would OBJ have been had he been dealt to Buffalo? Most diva wrs want nothing to do with Buffalo at this point in time. It is completely true that Cleveland and Buffalo are not that different in terms of desirable markets, but their team and organizational structure is much different.

Cleveland has Jarvis Landry (OBJ's close friend and college teammate). He is the leader of the wrs in Cleveland and can help keep OBJ in check. Mayfield has worked out with OBJ and is a very strong personality, himself. Mayfield is an up and coming rock star and he won't be overshadowed by OBJ in Cleveland. Cleveland also has OBJ's college wrs coach so having Landry and the same college position coach in Cleveland is like having an LSU reunion of sorts. In addition, Cleveland has decided it is ready this year to push their chips into the center of the table. They have acquired a bunch of talent from previous drafts, trades and free agency. They believe they can win their division and be a contender in the AFC. And they might be right if all the parts come together.

In Buffalo, OBJ would not have had his close friend and college coach. Allen is a leader but he does not have the cache that Mayfield has right now. Mayfield has more "street cred" at this point and it is more likely that OBJ would view Mayfield as the leader and top dog on offense. In Buffalo, OBJ likely would have viewed himself as the "top dog" and feel more empowered. The situation could have easily become a negative one for Allen. Plus, Buffalo is an improving team but there is no sense that they are better than the Patriots right now. They are not ready to plant their flag for the 2019 season.

Again, the situation may work for a while in Cleveland before exploding down the road. With all the personalities there, it probably is only a matter of time as that is what generally happens with that many egos. Cleveland is banking on winning big before it does explode and I don't disagree with that thinking. Again, OBJ in Cleveland seems to "fit" while he would be a very "odd fit" in Buffalo.

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 3

So basically, the Giants didn't want to pay Collins, a MUCH better player than Peppers, who wanted to stay with the team.  So in order to make up for that they had to get Peppers back, essentially making that a wash, a less talented player for a lot less money.  Getting the 3rd back was just making up for a 3rd they wasted.  So they traded their best player (or second best if you want to argue Barkley) for the 17th pick in the draft but are doubling down on a 38 year old QB.

2 hours ago, nucci said:

and Buffalo is Buffalo....Browns now have Beckham, Landry, Chubb, Mayfield and Njoku....that looks like a good offense and their D was good last year.

They were?

25th against the pass

28th against the run

21st in scoring against

2 hours ago, nucci said:

They weren’t good. They were bottom 5 in most defensive catergories.  

B33-C6-FA4-0-F3-A-4740-B295-BF059891-CFD

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I'm glad we didn't trade for ab or obj. IMO we are on the right path to being a playoff team for years to come. We don't need "me 1st" wrs on this team.

1/11 players only.

Yeah, who needs HOF receivers when you just signed guys who averaged 600 yards/ season!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

Just because the trade might work for Cleveland does not mean it would have worked for Buffalo. Seriously, how happy would OBJ have been had he been dealt to Buffalo? Most diva wrs want nothing to do with Buffalo at this point in time. It is completely true that Cleveland and Buffalo are not that different in terms of desirable markets, but their team and organizational structure is much different.

Cleveland has Jarvis Landry (OBJ's close friend and college teammate). He is the leader of the wrs in Cleveland and can help keep OBJ in check. Mayfield has worked out with OBJ and is a very strong personality, himself. Mayfield is an up and coming rock star and he won't be overshadowed by OBJ in Cleveland. Cleveland also has OBJ's college wrs coach so having Landry and the same college position coach in Cleveland is like having an LSU reunion of sorts. In addition, Cleveland has decided it is ready this year to push their chips into the center of the table. They have acquired a bunch of talent from previous drafts, trades and free agency. They believe they can win their division and be a contender in the AFC. And they might be right if all the parts come together.

In Buffalo, OBJ would not have had his close friend and college coach. Allen is a leader but he does not have the cache that Mayfield has right now. Mayfield has more "street cred" at this point and it is more likely that OBJ would view Mayfield as the leader and top dog on offense. In Buffalo, OBJ likely would have viewed himself as the "top dog" and feel more empowered. The situation could have easily become a negative one for Allen. Plus, Buffalo is an improving team but there is no sense that they are better than the Patriots right now. They are not ready to plant their flag for the 2019 season.

Again, the situation may work for a while in Cleveland before exploding down the road. With all the personalities there, it probably is only a matter of time as that is what generally happens with that many egos. Cleveland is banking on winning big before it does explode and I don't disagree with that thinking. Again, OBJ in Cleveland seems to "fit" while he would be a very "odd fit" in Buffalo.

Enough with the narratives that certain types of players or players in general don't want to come here. It's been proven to be utter bullsh*t. Money talks and bullsh*t walks. If you did any research you would see that most of the people that sign here end up love being here, and the narrative that you refer to does not exist among any current players. I for one am sick of here about how players don't want to come here, 

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

So basically, the Giants didn't want to pay Collins, a MUCH better player than Peppers, who wanted to stay with the team.  So in order to make up for that they had to get Peppers back, essentially making that a wash, a less talented player for a lot less money.  Getting the 3rd back was just making up for a 3rd they wasted.  So they traded their best player (or second best if you want to argue Barkley) for the 17th pick in the draft but are doubling down on a 38 year old QB.

If I was a betting man, I am thinking they are going to do a package deal with the 49ers. The Giants have picks 6,12 and 17. I thing they use those 3 or 6, and 12 along with a 2nd to move up to the second spot. Just my opinion or how i see it. 

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, who needs HOF receivers when you just signed guys who averaged 600 yards/ season!

Don't get why people wouldn't want Beckham on this team...they must not be old enough to remember Kelly, Thurman, Bruce....I hate the term diva but those Bills teams always had drama but were all business on the field

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL  I spit my coffee out 

Many a time I have found King’s articles chock full of spelling and grammatical errors 

I meant well written in terms of readability, it’s like he’s having a conversation with the reader. It’s 2019, grammar and spelling are as dead as chivalry.

Edited by Buddy Hix

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

At the end of the day, you want players that make your offense, as a whole, better.  OBJ was stellar, no doubt.  But the Giants offense, as a whole, was never that good with him.  Part of that is when you have a diva WR1, you have to feed him the ball constantly. The Giants did that, and it ended up really hurting them.  

OBJ may have made our offense better, but at his salary cap hit and the assets we would have given up for him, it is not a given that it would have made the Bills that much better.  

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

I meant well written in terms of readability, it’s like he’s having a conversation with the reader. It’s 2019, grammar and spelling are as dead as chivalry.

Maybe I'm old, but I think that's just sad.  Pretty soon it'll be...  "meh, it's 2025, who cares about precision engineering, just throw some steel and concrete together, that bridge will hold up".  ?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

At the end of the day, you want players that make your offense, as a whole, better.  OBJ was stellar, no doubt.  But the Giants offense, as a whole, was never that good with him.  Part of that is when you have diva WR1, you have to feed him the ball constantly. The Giants did that, and it ended up really hurting them.  

OBJ may have made our offense better, but at his salary cap hit and the assets we would have given up for him, it is not a given that it would have made the Bills that much better.  

this team is built on team players. No divas or me players seen anywhere. Why would you bring in Antonio Brown or OBJ both sound like disruptive cogs to this team...

We both dodged a bullet and saw our GM not bite on any of this stupidity

4 hours ago, nucci said:

Yeah, but can they play together as a team?  I anticipate it's not long before the "I don't get enough touches" complaints start emerging.