With recent news, Is Sweat worth the risk?

Mat68

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ll trust the doctors, but pray we don’t draft anyone based upon “great combine numbers”. I think I’d rather use the combine to rule people out, rather than in. 

He was all SEC back to back.  He was more disruptive in 18 than 17.  I think the combine amplified how freaky of a human he is.  Drafting in the top 10 you want a freak.  He has the production to go along with his combine.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

He was all SEC back to back.  He was more disruptive in 18 than 17.  I think the combine amplified how freaky of a human he is.  Drafting in the top 10 you want a freak.  He has the production to go along with his combine.  

I’m not disagreeing with the player (and freely admit I know fairly little about him),  just commenting on the idea of getting wowed by the combine stuff. 

Not concerned about the heart. My concern would be that he packed on a substantial amount of weight between the season and the combine. He’s not a young player as he went to MSU, got booted, then did JUCO. As a result I’d be more concerned that his body doesn’t actually want to carry the extra muscle (like Maybin). I’d be a lot less concerned about that if he was a 19-20 year old sophomore. For reference he’ll be 23 in September. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not disagreeing with the player (and freely admit I know fairly little about him),  just commenting on the idea of getting wowed by the combine stuff. 

For me that's where I see where players tier.  Top 5 to 10.  1.  Productive and impactful on the feild, flash dominance  2.  Freak athlete for the position.  I think Buffalo can find a guy at 9 in this draft who checks both boxes.  For me Sweat checks both boxes.

31 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

For me that's where I see where players tier.  Top 5 to 10.  1.  Productive and impactful on the feild, flash dominance  2.  Freak athlete for the position.  I think Buffalo can find a guy at 9 in this draft who checks both boxes.  For me Sweat checks both boxes.

Trade up for Bosa...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Trade up for Bosa...

I would, dont believe they have the resources.  Nothing gives me the idea Beane will trade next years first.  I wouldn't either.  I would trade for Clowney before Bosa.

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

I have been thinking Sweat was a sure fire top 5 pick.  I would take Sweat over just about anyone on the defensive line not named Bosa, Williams, or Allen. 

Hurst played this year with Oakland unimpeded.  Hurst's was at a level where the NFL would not allow him to participate.  Sweat's situation is not as severe thus the NFL allowed him to be a full participant on the field and drills.

I would roll the dice and draft one of the top pass rushers if available.  This may be a situation where this was leaked by a team late in the first and hope for him to fall to them.  It's a risk for sure but one I think Buffalo could manage.  

Doesn’t sound like the heart condition is an issue.

I have Polite and Burns graded higher though. I like their play style much better, I think Sweat is a better fit in a 3-4.

3 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

I wouldn’t take him. I don’t even think he’s close to BPA at 9 anyways. If he didn’t run a ridiculous 40 time he wouldn’t even be close to top 10. 

Completely agree, I don’t see anything about his play that would make me happy drafting him in the top ten.

• Like (+1) 1

If Oliver is drafted I'd love to get Montez Sweat in rotation with Murphy/Hughes/Lawson, would be a great fit here also. The heart condition could be a heart murmur for all we know which usually comes with little complications. Hurst had a heck of a rookie season so if it's even less severe than his he is worth a top 10 pick no doubt about it imo.

3 hours ago, Mat68 said:

His, height, weight, speed, and explosion is rare.  He is Gary with pass rushing production.  Per Rapport, Sweat was found to have a heart condition at the combine.  Being he was cleared to participate it is seen to be not as severe as Hurst's issue found last year. 

With the medical red flag do you take him off the board at 9?  Do you take him at 9 and take advantage of a player being available that otherwise would not be?

if its not that bad, then sure, can never have enough pass rushers.

13 minutes ago, billspro said:

I have Polite and Burns graded higher though. I like their play style much better, I think Sweat is a better fit in a 3-4.

I’ve had Sweat going to GB in my brain for a while. He seems like the perfect 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE tweener for Pettine’s defense. I honestly think he has more value for a 3-4 unless he can perform at the higher weight. 

I’m not a fan of Sweat... I don’t think his production matched his ability, and he always looks light in the rear when he is engaged with a blocker. Reminds me a lot of that DE from Oregon that Miami drafted when we drafted Kiko. 

His supposed “highlights” were very ‘meh’ to me... and those were his best plays. As someone said before, Polite is WAY better IMO. 

Edited by MakeBuffaloGreatAgain
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’ve had Sweat going to GB in my brain for a while. He seems like the perfect 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE tweener for Pettine’s defense. I honestly think he has more value for a 3-4 unless he can perform at the higher weight. 

The Pack added Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith to there defense I can see them going either Hock or DK at #12.

3 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

I’m not a fan of Sweat... I don’t think his production matched his ability, and he always looks light in the rear when he is engaged with a blocker. Reminds me a lot of that DE from Oregon that Miami drafted when we drafted Kiko. 

His supposed “highlights” were very ‘meh’ to me... and those were his best plays. As someone said before, Polite is WAY better IMO. 

Sweat is much better player then Dion Jordon coming out of Oregon.  DJ was a master of none type player a true tweener.  Bad comp.

2 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

The Pack added Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith to there defense I can see them going either Hock or DK at #12.

Sweat is much better player then Dion Jordon coming out of Oregon.  DJ was a master of none type player a true tweener.  Bad comp.

I disagree... they both seem to be on skates when a lineman locks on to them. I think Sweat will have the exact same problems Jordan had in the pros. Good comp. 

i would take him at 9 because we can get a disruptive 3 tech a bit lower.  ie.  jerry tillery ....a nasty disruptive dt whose partying habits will get him passed over til maybe rd.3 and after.   also, jeffery simmons whose recent acl will most likely keep him out his rookie year.  then i'd like to mention daniel wise who may last to the 4th. another big nasty 3 tech,

point being, yes oliver would be great, but at the expense of possibly setting our pass rush to elite status for years to come. therefore i would choose sweat and do whatever it took to get ximines....maybe use a 4th and 5th and a pick from next year to move up to get him.

i know everyone wants a te and oline , but we could have a pass rush rotation of hughes(who should get a 2 yr. ext.)..sweat, ximines and love while  finding a dt somewhere along the line like i mentioned above or maybe via post june 1st cuts...or one more splash signing like a trade for grady jarett.

if worse comes to worse kick shaq (contract?) or murphy inside.

i'd also like to pose the question....if oliver is there at 9 and the phone is ringing off the hook?.....

Edited by billsredneck1

6 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Hence the use of past tense. Their GM did show that he’ll go all out to fix a single position group in a single offseason though. Last OS they signed 2 CBs then went CB in r1 and r2. With Fackrell on the roster OLB is probably done. ILB/Will though... they need a guy to play next to Martinez. I think they may go with Devin White if he’s still on the board.  

4 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

MD here. 

Greatly depends on what it is. If its hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? Hard pass and he should retire. 

If its WPW or afib or something? Sure not a big deal. 

are you in gastroenterology?  Your avatar makes me think this.  If so, that's a great avatar!