With recent news, Is Sweat worth the risk?

Mat68

His, height, weight, speed, and explosion is rare.  He is Gary with pass rushing production.  Per Rapport, Sweat was found to have a heart condition at the combine.  Being he was cleared to participate it is seen to be not as severe as Hurst's issue found last year. 

With the medical red flag do you take him off the board at 9?  Do you take him at 9 and take advantage of a player being available that otherwise would not be?

humm..  I think Hurst is still playing?  

I think it depends on who is still available.  I'd still go Oliver over him just for an interior disruptive presence, but I'd still take Sweat.   I won't sweat Sweat's medical.  It could be an "abnormal" (but normal) EKG that came back because he's so lean.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1

All depends on the condition and severity of it. Each team views things differently. IF it is a perceived as a possible life threatening issue by a team they will most likely remove him. Something that can hurt a career or make it shorter will cause a player to drop on a teams board.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I'm no medical expert but even a slight condition would seem a risk when playing at the level these players do?

there's my answer

gettyimages-899895340-1-e1552853887255.j

Combine physical turned up “low-risk” heart condition for Montez Sweat

Sweat’s agents released a statement to NFL Media about the issue.

“Because of privacy issues we are not allowed to comment specifically. But I will tell you that this is not news.

Montez is the same person that was medically cleared to play and dominate the SEC, the Senior Bowl, and the NFL Combine. No change in health and no change in domination!”

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

I have been thinking Sweat was a sure fire top 5 pick.  I would take Sweat over just about anyone on the defensive line not named Bosa, Williams, or Allen. 

Hurst played this year with Oakland unimpeded.  Hurst's was at a level where the NFL would not allow him to participate.  Sweat's situation is not as severe thus the NFL allowed him to be a full participant on the field and drills.

I would roll the dice and draft one of the top pass rushers if available.  This may be a situation where this was leaked by a team late in the first and hope for him to fall to them.  It's a risk for sure but one I think Buffalo could manage.  

Not worried about it much. He was still allowed to go through testing at the combine, whereas in the case of Maurice Hurst and Star Lotulelei were not able to even do the drills after theirs came up