"New England adds to receiver corps" by Mark Daniels

Nanker

This is quoted from the Providence (RI) Journal - story by Mark Daniels.

"Thursday was a very busy day at Gillette Stadium as the Patriots*** (emphasis mine) added several players on the second day of NFL free agency.

The team bolstered its wide-receiver corps by signing Maurice Harris and Bruce Ellington. The Ellington deal is for one year. The terms of Harris' deal haven't been announced.

Harris is a 6'3" receiver who caught 28 passes for 304 yards last season for Washington. The 26 year-old had a monster game in week 9 hauling in 9 of 10 passes for 124 yards against the Falcons. He started 7 of the 12 games he played in last year.

Ellington, 27, is 5'9" and spent last season with the Texans and Lions. In 4 games with the Lions, he caught 23 passes for 132 yards. A 4th round pick in 2014, he has also spent time with the Niners and JESTS (emphasis mine). His best season came in 2017 with Houston, catching 29 passes for 330 yards and 2 TDs."

Looks like they really killed it in the WR position in Free Agency. 

For the record, I like our pickups better... a LOT better. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Pats are working for comp picks as usual. I wouldn't be surprised to see them add couple more players once the after draft cuts come down. 

Edited by H2o

33 minutes ago, Nanker said:

This is quoted from the Providence (RI) Journal - story by Mark Daniels.

"Thursday was a very busy day at Gillette Stadium as the Patriots*** (emphasis mine) added several players on the second day of NFL free agency.

The team bolstered its wide-receiver corps by signing Maurice Harris and Bruce Ellington. The Ellington deal is for one year. The terms of Harris' deal haven't been announced.

Harris is a 6'3" receiver who caught 28 passes for 304 yards last season for Washington. The 26 year-old had a monster game in week 9 hauling in 9 of 10 passes for 124 yards against the Falcons. He started 7 of the 12 games he played in last year.

Ellington, 27, is 5'9" and spent last season with the Texans and Lions. In 4 games with the Lions, he caught 23 passes for 132 yards. A 4th round pick in 2014, he has also spent time with the Niners and JESTS (emphasis mine). His best season came in 2017 with Houston, catching 29 passes for 330 yards and 2 TDs."

Looks like they really killed it in the WR position in Free Agency. 

For the record, I like our pickups better... a LOT better. 

They get the benefit of the doubt until they stop going to Playoffs and winning championships. We don't.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

The Pats are working for comp picks as usual. I wouldn't be surprised to see them add couple more players once the after draft cuts come down. 

Does anyone else think comp picks are incredibly stupid? Does any other league do this? If the player is a RFA then fine, he gets tendered and the new team pays the draft pick. But making draft picks out of thin air has always been nonsensical to me. Why should a team be rewarded because they couldn’t or wouldn’t pony up the money to keep their own. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bills2ref said:

Does anyone else think comp picks are incredibly stupid? Does any other league do this? If the player is a RFA then fine, he gets tendered and the new team pays the draft pick. But making draft picks out of thin air has always been nonsensical to me. Why should a team be rewarded because they couldn’t or wouldn’t pony up the money to keep their own. 

I agree, I hate the comp pick formula.

All the comp picks push down players available in later rounds from teams not getting them.

The "secret" formula is stupid too.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

When they were first created it made sense, to help the lower teams from losing big name players in FA get something. Now the system is manipulated by teams like the Pat's who dont need help but still get it.

I believe MLB has a 'competitive balance' picks that they give out to help small market teams....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

When they were first created it made sense, to help the lower teams from losing big name players in FA get something. Now the system is manipulated by teams like the Pat's who dont need help but still get it.

I believe MLB has a 'competitive balance' picks that they give out to help small market teams....

Sign a Vet then "lose" him the following season ... get compensated.  

Cheatriots at their worst 

17 hours ago, mrags said:

Harris is good and opposing teams should be worried imo. 

Yeah, I tend to downplay Patriots acquisitions because people act like they're batting 1.000 but I really do think Harris is going to be a good player for them.

To me one of the easiest ways to revise the comp pick formula is to only consider "players lost" as guys who that franchise drafts (or signs as an UDFA) and then loses. Guys you pick up in free agency on 1 year contracts that you choose not to pay the following FA shouldn't count.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

To me one of the easiest ways to revise the comp pick formula is to only consider "players lost" as guys who that franchise drafts (or signs as an UDFA) and then loses. Guys you pick up in free agency on 1 year contracts that you choose not to pay the following FA shouldn't count.

preach it Gunner!!!